Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneHappyGardener

Newbie to Pre-D - Now what?

OneHappyGardener

I am new to this forum and the world of diabetes. It looks as though I am pre-diabetic and wondering what to do? Here are my stats:

2/10/17 (fasting 12 hours)

A1c 6.0

glucose, serum 90

8/15/16 (fasting 12 hours)

A1c 6.1

glucose, serum 106

My lipids are in normal range, hypothyroidism for 25 yrs. being treated with Armour thyroid, on 20 mg pravastatin for cholesterol.

The doc gave me the pat advice of cut down on carbs, exercise and re-test A1c in 3 months, but I want some answers as NOW! :-) ;-)

I am 5'8" female, 65 years (in 3 weeks) young, 140 lbs, exercise 4x week but could use more cardio in my routine, eat fairly well-don't go overboard on sugar or fats.

I will work to improve my diet and more cardio, wondering if it is time for medication?

Is it possible to stay in pre-diabetes or even reverse it?

meyery2k

Many here have had success with a low carb diet and exercise. Try to cut back or eliminate bread, grains, rice, fruit, and potatoes. Your carbs should come primarily from root vegetables.

Invest in a meter and strips so you can test after eating and find out which foods elevate your glucose. The Wal-Mart Relion Prime meter and strips are among the least expensive out there. I hope you decide to join our community~Mike

dowling gram

Hi OneHappyGardener from another happy gardener. Welcome to the forum.

Yes it is possible to stay prediabetic for quite a while and even lower your numbers. Do you know that prediabetic just means that you are in the early stages of diabetes? There is no cure at any stage. At your stage I'd do it with diet. Some here have gone years by treating their diabetes with diet alone. In time you may have to add oral diabetic meds. at some time but leave that thought for the future.

For now you have some learning and reading to do. You have to learn to read labels and search for the carb content of what you eat. We can give you an idea of what to avoid--things like all grains including rice and things made from flour, Fruit except for berries in moderation. Potatoes and starchy vegetables and of course sugar. It is best to avoid prepared food in favor of cooking from scratch. Because every diabetic is different what your daily consumption of carbs is depends on what works for you to keep your numbers in the normal range.

A glucometer is your friend. If you don't have one get one. Walmart's Relion meter has the cheapest and the cheapest strips. You use the glucometer to test your food. Before eating to get a baseline, at 1 hour when it should be at it's highest and at 2 hours when it should be coming down close to your baseline number.

You may feel that this cuts out a lot of your favorite foods but there is life and good eating after diabetes. I still make my favorites only in a low carb way. There are plenty of low carb recipe sites and check out our recipe section

adiantum

A huge warm welcome from another gardener .

Ive had my A1c at around 6.1 for the past  10 years  without meds.

I believe you can  go the same but tweak your diet to increase fats & reduce carbs..

Carbs ar e the enemy not sugar as we read in the media.

Avoid 'light' & 'reduced fat' as these not only taste poorly , they are loaded with extra carbs.

I think meyer meant to say limit ' root' vegetables as these are higher then foliage like cabbage, cauliflower etc.

NoraWI

Good dietary advice above. But I want to add that sometimes thyroid medication as well as statins raise blood glucose. That could be in your case. Research it, then talk about it with your doctor at your next visit.

meyery2k

Many here have had success with a low carb diet and exercise. Try to cut back or eliminate bread, grains, rice, fruit, and potatoes. Your carbs should come primarily from root vegetables.

Invest in a meter and strips so you can test after eating and find out which foods elevate your glucose. The Wal-Mart Relion Prime meter and strips are among the least expensive out there. I hope you decide to join our community~Mike

I realize I shouldn't post when I am tired.  I meant to post NON root vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, mushrooms, and so on...

I could use the excuse that I was posting from my phone, which was true, but I won't do that.

OneHappyGardener

Wow, such a warm welcome--thank you--and so much valuable advice. I am truly grateful and I was in panic mode.  Thank you again everyone and I wish everyone the best health. I will get the Relion meter today!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.