Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaRue

Change of Perspective

LaRue

Interesting experience yesterday.

I was visiting a friend, and we decided to go out to get a bite to eat.

She lives in a rural town about 40 minutes outside of Austin, where the population has remained steady for the last 2 decade at between 900 and 1000, spread out over cattle ranches, some farming, and a 2 block by 1 block "downtown". There are about 3 places to eat, including a gas station.  :) BTW, my friend lived in Austin a long time, and moved out here because she likes the country lifestyle.

My friend, knowing I was eating a keto diet, was trying to be help in figuring out which would be the best place, and I just listened quietly for a moment. Obviously none were great choices....a diner, a mexican restaurant, the gas station. lol.

I said to her "don't worry, pick where you want. You're not responsible for what I choose to eat. I'll figure it out.

Well, we ended up driving over to the next town, which I just looked up on Google. It has a population of 25. Their general store is also a cafe/grill. Friend had enthused "they make great burgers. I can't even finish one." That was great and I said we could split.

The people at the general store are really friendly (kinda the norm when you probably know everyone within many square miles). We went outside to the picnic tables and I was surprised when the woman came out with the burger/fries. She had cut it in half (we hadn't asked her) and made 2 full plates, including fries (yeah right)

Friend enthused again how great these were going to be, and dug it.

I lifted off my bun, and started eating....well, a small piece of hamburger meat.....with some kind of melted orange cheese....and a strip of bacon. Also, a couple ice berg lettuce leaves, and an unripe tomato slice.

Obviously what tasted to great to my friend was the bun, condiments all mixed together with what I had...oh, and the fries, which looked good.

I agreed when she asked that it was terrific. I wasn't going to mention the meat was dryish, and really had no taste. 

For this, and a couple of drinks, we paid probably 10 bucks.

Thing was, I enjoyed the company, the beautiful weather and country surrounding, and got enough to eat.

I just finished breakfast, and am on my way out the door for awhile.

I had uncured bacon, nice and crisp the way I like it, a perfectly ripe avocado with good salt and VOO, and a couple of pasture raised eggs. Cost under $2 and was creamy and decadent.

I think I prefer that.

dowling gram

I think I would have chosen the diner. Many places now have all day breakfast and I'm sure you could have found a better option even if it were a salad or maybe a chef's salad. Once my friends and I went out to lunch at a diner. There was nothing on the menu that I would eat but I spied a wrap with meat cheese and a few salad veggies. I explained to the waitress that I was allergic to grains and could I have the wrap without the wrap. I got the best chefs salad I've ever eaten. The chef had added extra veggies and lettuce and all the fixings of the wrap and I was given my choice of dressings.

Anyway it was nice that you enjoyed the company and surroundings. Sometimes that's better than  a full stomach.

Kit

Mexican places can be hit or miss.  I find I do pretty well getting fajitas with no rice or tortillas.  So meat, onions, and peppers on hot plate and I just dump the "fixings" on there with it and eat with a fork.  Lettuce, sour cream, guac, cheese.  Add a little hot sauce and you're good to go.  :)

Which makes me think, after yesterday, maybe I want to go out to lunch today if I can afford the time.

jwags

IT is tough for me to go out to eat anymore. Luckily we live in a big sir an are close to a city. Not only do I eat low carb, but I also eat organic vegan. My daughter found a place in Cleveland that uses cauliflower instead of starches. We went there a couple of weeks ago and they were closed for renovation. We ended up at an Indian restrauant. I find ethnic restraints are pretty good because they use lots of veggies and coconut milk in their sauces. Your description of the town reminds me of the town my grandparents lived in Oklahoma. I grew up in New York State but we would often visit Oklahoma every other summer. The town had 200 people. It was 2 blocks long with a Grange, drug store with a counter fountain, general store, gas station, bank and 3 Baptist churches. We always were amused when everyone in town knew everything about us.

Kit

Growing up on a smalli city in the midwest surrounded my farm fields and tiny little itty bitty farming communities dotted over the landscape, I am familiar with them.

My favorite was one.  If the actual town proper had a population of 50, I would be surprised.  It had 3 churches and 4 bars.  I always got a kick out of that.  :)

LaRue

I think I would have chosen the diner. 

Oh Dowling, I forgot to mention.

I've been to this place many times, and have experienced all the culinary choices.

It isn't a diner, or a mexican restaurant etc, in the sense that most people understand them. Even if I could eat anything there, they pretty much suck.

To everyone, I wasn't complaining about the options, which would have all been equal.

It was that, what I could make at home, in just a few minutes, was so much superior not only to what this small rural place had to offer, but what I could have at restaurants at home. Plus, at home, I know exactly what goes into my food, and the quality.

If I'm with a friend, or friends, I'm not going to be the one upon whom the choice of where we will eat rests.

It just doesn't matter. I can find something, or part of something to eat wherever I go. 

Like I said, it's a real change in my perspective.

Going out to a restaurant, re the food, isn't that exciting. It's the chance to be with people I like, and share company, and watch them enjoy their food, while at the same time letting them believe I'm as enthusiastic about mine.

If I had told my friend "You know, this is really pretty tasteless without the ketchup, bun, fries", she would have been distraught that I "wasn't enjoying myself"

I was enjoying myself. We had a really good time. I got enough food in my stomach. So, when she asked me I told her the food was great. Because she's great.

LaRue

Too funny.

I'm going to visit the same friend in a few hours. I texted her saying if she wanted I'd pick up some Boston Market on the way there. Of course I can eat the chicken, and some of the sides, like the mixed veg or green beans.

Since I'm not fussy, I told her to pick the 3 large sides you get with the family meal (three of us will be eating).

She picked...mac and cheese, sweet potato cassarole, and the ceasar salad.  :lol:

Guess I'll be pushing a little romaine lettuce around my plate. 

Kit

That's actually a complaint I have with our society in general. Starches=vegetables and non starchy vegetables are salads.

Next time, specify one of the sides .:)

LaRue

Yeah, I should have said I would like the mixed veggies, what 2 would you like?

As part of the reason I didn't make any comment about the choices is that, #1, My friend has chosen to live as self sustaining as is reasonable. She keeps her own chickens for eggs, has a pretty extensive vegetable garden, and although isn't a vegetarian, eats a lot of beans and such. She's actually really knowledgeable about nutrition and eats better than probably 99% of the population. #2, She has however, run into a rough time financially lately, so to be honest, I really like to treat her to something different. It's rare she'll go out for a burger like we did last time, or splurge on something like mac and cheese. 

I really enjoyed seeing her and her daughter have a treat. I'm fine with just chicken. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.