Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PatriciaJ

Sciatica

PatriciaJ

This isn't a question about diabetes, but has anyone ever had sciatica? Friday night I started having severe pain in my right buttock, right upper and lower leg, and right ankle. I went to Urgent Care on Saturday and the doctor said it might be sciatica. He ordered Ultram for pain and Mobic for inflammation. I've also been using ice packs and heat packs. The pain is only slightly less the past two days and I've averaged 2-3 hours sleep since Friday night. Wondering what you did for pain relief, how long did the pain last, and do you think a chiropractor could help??? Thanks..

adiantum

I do exercises to release the nerve.

Google exercises for sciatica & you will see many to choose from  that suit you.

NoraWI

Also think what is causing the sciatica pain. Sometimes it's clothing that has gotten to be too tight. It can also be that you are carrying something in a way that is causing the pain. I developed sciatica pain when my youngest child was 2 1/2. I was carrying her on my hip and she had really gotten too big and heavy. I stopped carrying her in that way and the sciatica went away.

jwags

I get on and off sciatica pain for years. I use a sciatic pillow to sit on when I drive or sit for long times. The best thing is to do special sciatica stretches to strengthen the area. I find doing daily yoga helps limit my sciatic attacks.

kooka

My orthopedic surgeon said I couldn't go to a chiropractor because it would be too painful. Later on I had surgery to remove the disc in the lumbar that was causing me to have a flare up every other month or more. It stopped the sciatica. I still have back pain when it rains, like today, but its from arthritis.

I hope you get relief soon.

GrammaBear

My orthopedic surgeon said I couldn't go to a chiropractor because it would be too painful. Later on I had surgery to remove the disc in the lumbar that was causing me to have a flare up every other month or more. It stopped the sciatica. I still have back pain when it rains, like today, but its from arthritis.

I hope you get relief soon.

Please don't think I'm doubting your word because I'm not, but why is it that the weather really aggravates arthritis when it rains?  It rained all day yesterday and last night and I had a miserable night with back pain - could not get comfortable at all.

Carol_42

I've had sciatica on and off since I was a young adult.  It would come and go.  But I haven't had it for a good year.  In the past I tried many things to get rid of it and some worked for a while.

Here are a few things I have tried over the years. 

1.  Sit on floor and do a Yoga spinal twist: should be slow and easy movement that is not pushed but calm and relaxed.

2.  Fill a large box top or plastic rectangular bucket with gravel.  It's my form of reflexology of the feet.  Hang onto a door, or something, and walk in the gravel on your heel, outer and inner side of foot, and tippy toes.  Then walk flat footed.  Gently grind and massage the gravel into pressure points on foot.

3.  Put on some very high heeled shoes and walk around the house in them until the sciatic pain is gone.

4.  Do squats and lunges and various stretch positions from the waist and hips.

5.  Soak in a bath tub as hot as you can stand it with Epsom salts or Pink salt.

6.  Acupuncture (my ultimate favorite, just for maintenance, alone)

7.  Chiropractor

8.  Buy a fitted mattress pad cover and new pillows.  I bought my set at HSN and now my body lumbar/sacral and rectal spine areas are so comfortable. I sleep like I'm in heaven since I've changed my bedding.  And I no longer have neck aches, either.  I honestly believe my sciatica was corrected by changing my bedding.

I hope this helps.  And I hope you find comfort soon for I know how nerve racking sciatica pain can be.

Carol

Caravaggio

When I had sciatica years ago, my late beloved GP sent me to a chiropractor and told me to ask my yoga teacher to design a yoga sequence for me. He gave me painkillers in case I needed them, with a stern warning to take them only if I needed them.

PatriciaJ

All the pain is on my right side and 2 days ago I developed right foot drop. I can still walk, but it's not normal. After I touch the ground with my heel to take a step, the front part of the foot just "plops" down. I had an MRI last night and have an appointment Monday with my primary doctor for follow up about the results of the MRI. I'm really scared :wacko:

PatriciaJ

PS: I was prescribed a six day course of Prednisone in tapering down doses each day. I started taking the Prednisone yesterday and this morning, my fast blood sugar was 138. Wow, that's really way up from my normal of 84-94. The pharmacist told me that Prednisone can increase blood sugars. That's really funny as I was going to go in for an A1C in a couple of weeks, but now maybe I should wait for another 3 months???

TammyElliott

Sciatica is becoming more common and there has seen an increase of numbers in sufferers of this condition. With the increase of people experiencing sciatica, patients have resorted to various forms of treatments. Acupuncture for sciatica is a new solution that people are exploring. And its effects on relieving nerve pain are promising. Professional acupuncturist and their helpful hints are always useful.

PatriciaJ

My pain was excruciating to the point of only being able to sleep 1-2 hrs per night, lying down made the pain worse, someone else did my grocery shopping etc. I had a lumbar steroid epidural injection in March 2017 and have been pain free ever since!!:)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.