Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

Got Meter and Lancets_need affirmation

Carol_42

I just picked up the lancets and device, so now I'm ready to begin testing for the first time.  I want to make sure I am testing correctly, so I asking for input.  I'm a very early riser (abt 1:30 a.m.) and since I've been on Keto, I have programmed myself to eat breakfast between 5:30 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. every day.

Should I test soon after I get out of bed and before I have my first cup of coffee? 

And then should I test 1-hour after I have finished my breakfast?  Or 2-hours?

And should I avoid coffee during that period of 1-2 hours after breakfast, before I test again?

Thanks, All~  CB

Java

for your true fasting reading, test before having any coffee

if you are brand new to all this and not sure how foods affect you, it is helpful to keep a food journal/log ~ test before you eat, then test both at 1 hr and 2 hrs ~ that will show you how much you rise (if any) at the 1 hr mark, and then how you've recovered at the 2 hr mark

i have read that some foods will cause a slow rise over a few hours time

Moonpie

I would recommend testing before you eat or drink anything. If you have enough strips to test at both one & two hours, do so. When I was first diagnosed, I had limited access to strips, so I decided to only test at the two hour mark & used that as my guide. Coffee does not effect me, but it does some people, you will jsut have to be your own lab rat. 

Carol_42

for your true fasting reading, test before having any coffee

if you are brand new to all this and not sure how foods affect you, it is helpful to keep a food journal/log ~ test before you eat, then test both at 1 hr and 2 hrs ~ that will show you how much you rise (if any) at the 1 hr mark, and then how you've recovered at the 2 hr mark

i have read that some foods will cause a slow rise over a few hours time

Thanks.  I've been keeping good records on what I eat and noting the calories, carbs, proteins, and fats and proportions.  When I begin testing, I will definitely keep accurate records on everything.

I've been planning to do my in home walking program with Leslie Sansones around 11:00 a.m. about an hour before lunch. 

That's another area where I am not sure when to test.  It's confusing to me and I want so badly to do it right.

funkynassau

Dont drive yourself nuts trying to do everything "right!"  You need to learn what foods work for you and what dont.  As long as you keep some sort of chart or record IN THE BEGINNING you will do fine.  This is an exploratory mission you are on at the moment!  

Test when you get up, test after you eat, test when you think of it.  Make a few notes, read over your results, do some homework to see how it's all going.  The big thing is to not worry yourself into a puddle on the floor!  It's normal to want to get it "right" but random testing is good too so you know how things are going.

Personally I test when I get up before I eat.  I test randomly thru the day and then before bed.  Once you understand how foods affect you, you dont need to write it all down, unless you want to.  

Carol_42

I would recommend testing before you eat or drink anything. If you have enough strips to test at both one & two hours, do so. When I was first diagnosed, I had limited access to strips, so I decided to only test at the two hour mark & used that as my guide. Coffee does not effect me, but it does some people, you will jsut have to be your own lab rat. 

"A lab rat", that describes me to a tee.  :D  I drink instant coffee and there are no calories to it.  I was surprised when I read that today.  I have loads of strips.  I have armed myself for the big D circus of events.  Test both 1 & 2 hours ... okie dokie 

Carol_42

Dont drive yourself nuts trying to do everything "right!"  You need to learn what foods work for you and what dont.  As long as you keep some sort of chart or record IN THE BEGINNING you will do fine.  This is an exploratory mission you are on at the moment!  

Test when you get up, test after you eat, test when you think of it.  Make a few notes, read over your results, do some homework to see how it's all going.  The big thing is to not worry yourself into a puddle on the floor!  It's normal to want to get it "right" but random testing is good too so you know how things are going.

Personally I test when I get up before I eat.  I test randomly thru the day and then before bed.  Once you understand how foods affect you, you dont need to write it all down, unless you want to.  

I won't go nuts.  At least not in this life time.  Actually I am a highly organized person and I like to stay on top of the game.  But in this case, I need to learn the rules of the game first.  That's why I ask questions.  I only have a GP and we lack communication.  So I come here and I learn.  The word "worry" is not in my vernacular.  To be concerned does not mean to be worried.  It borders more on curiosity.  At least in my case it does.  But thank you for your input and have an excellent day.

Kit

Since you have such a big time gap between getting up and your first meal, I'd recommend a testing right when you get up, than before and 2 hours after each meal.  (that 1 hour mark can be helpful as well though not totally required.  but it can be handy to catch any spikes you might get, just to get a good idea on how you are reacting.

Its a lot of testing at first.  But the information is really useful, and once you're on track on where you want to be, you can drop that down significantly.  I currently test first thing in the morning and then before and after 1 meal of the day.  And I rotate around which meal I choose.

Carol_42

Since you have such a big time gap between getting up and your first meal, I'd recommend a testing right when you get up, than before and 2 hours after each meal.  (that 1 hour mark can be helpful as well though not totally required.  but it can be handy to catch any spikes you might get, just to get a good idea on how you are reacting.

Its a lot of testing at first.  But the information is really useful, and once you're on track on where you want to be, you can drop that down significantly.  I currently test first thing in the morning and then before and after 1 meal of the day.  And I rotate around which meal I choose.

Okay, you are saying, test when I get up.  Then at first, while I'm learning about me, test 1 and 2 hours after the first meal.  What about at night time?  My night time would be circa 5-6 o'clock.

Kit

Okay, you are saying, test when I get up.  Then at first, while I'm learning about me, test 1 and 2 hours after the first meal.  What about at night time?  My night time would be circa 5-6 o'clock.

I don't do a lot of random tests during the course of the day (or night) unless I am trying to track down an issue.  If you find our morning fasting reading seems to be running higher than the rest of the day, you might test right at bed time to get an idea if you are getting hit by dawn phenomena.  but otherwise, right before and then after your meals is where you want to focus on, at least for now.

The point of your testing right now is to see how you are reacting to various meals and how diet, exercise, and similar changes affect that.  Right now, I wouldn't worry about too much beyond that unless there is a problem you are trying to hunt down.

For example, you eat a great big candy bar and seem normal at 2 hours.  For someone who is dealing with insulin resistance, that is unlikely.  So if you do it again you might test at 1, 2 and 3 hours to get more data.  You might find you spike really high at 1 hours, but then drop back down to normal at 2.  While you are normal at 2, your body had to work really hard to get you there, and that's something you want to try to avoid.

Right now don't worry about all the different times to test and why.  Just focus on the meal portions and you can delve into further areas as you start to build data on how you are reacting.

As far as schedules.  Morning is when you get up.  Night is when you go to bed.  If that's your normal schedule, that's what you should focus on for testing.

samuraiguy

"A lab rat", that describes me to a tee.  :D  I drink instant coffee and there are no calories to it.  I was surprised when I read that today.  I have loads of strips.  I have armed myself for the big D circus of events.  Test both 1 & 2 hours ... okie dokie 

Caffeine drinks, including coffee, can raise cortisol levels and cause liver dumping as your body prepares for what it thinks is fight or flight. Even if you drink it black with no sweetener or creamer.

meyery2k

CB - My regimen in the beginning was test when I first wake up, test before eating, 1 hour after, 2 hours after, then at bed.

Now that I have my diet and exercise habits, I test when I get up and usually 1 meal during the day.  I have also tested before and after exercise to see how that worked for me.  I will sometimes test before bed too.

Once you have an understanding of how YOU work, you will likely find a bunch of testing is not needed.  Just enough to keep you on course.

jwags

I only get 4 strips a day on my Rx. So I test as soon as I wake up and then 1-2 hours after each meal. I don't test after exerxise because I know I usually spike 30-60 points and it makes me depressed.

stevenal

i read once that pricking the side of your finger rather than the pad doesn't hurt as much

I read that too. Dr. Bernstein says the sides and tops are better, but my experience says otherwise. 

Carol_42

I don't do a lot of random tests during the course of the day (or night) unless I am trying to track down an issue.  If you find our morning fasting reading seems to be running higher than the rest of the day, you might test right at bed time to get an idea if you are getting hit by dawn phenomena.  but otherwise, right before and then after your meals is where you want to focus on, at least for now.

The point of your testing right now is to see how you are reacting to various meals and how diet, exercise, and similar changes affect that.  Right now, I wouldn't worry about too much beyond that unless there is a problem you are trying to hunt down.

For example, you eat a great big candy bar and seem normal at 2 hours.  For someone who is dealing with insulin resistance, that is unlikely.  So if you do it again you might test at 1, 2 and 3 hours to get more data.  You might find you spike really high at 1 hours, but then drop back down to normal at 2.  While you are normal at 2, your body had to work really hard to get you there, and that's something you want to try to avoid.

Right now don't worry about all the different times to test and why.  Just focus on the meal portions and you can delve into further areas as you start to build data on how you are reacting.

As far as schedules.  Morning is when you get up.  Night is when you go to bed.  If that's your normal schedule, that's what you should focus on for testing.

... "dawn phenomena".  Uh, what is that?

Carol_42

CB - My regimen in the beginning was test when I first wake up, test before eating, 1 hour after, 2 hours after, then at bed.

Now that I have my diet and exercise habits, I test when I get up and usually 1 meal during the day.  I have also tested before and after exercise to see how that worked for me.  I will sometimes test before bed too.

Once you have an understanding of how YOU work, you will likely find a bunch of testing is not needed.  Just enough to keep you on course.

Yeah ... get my "eating and exercise habits down".  That makes sense.  This won't be the first time I have used myself as a guinea pig to find the best resolve for my health concerns.  Thanks.

Carol_42

Caffeine drinks, including coffee, can raise cortisol levels and cause liver dumping as your body prepares for what it thinks is fight or flight. Even if you drink it black with no sweetener or creamer.

Humph!  I drink instant coffee and it has zero calories.  I add a tad of diet sugar and that's it.  But I will take what you say into consideration.  Thanks.

kooka

I have the dawn phenomena (DP".What this means is your sugars go up whilst you sleep. I can go to bed with a reading of 90 and wake up with a reading of 140 or higher. Some have found ways of controlling it such as taking their meds before bed, eating a snack in the middle of the night, eating dinner earlier in the day, exercising in the evening or eating a protein snack before bed.

None of that worked for me but I am finding the vegetarian eating plan I'm on now has caused me to get lower a.m. readings.....in the 120's .

Kit

... "dawn phenomena".  Uh, what is that?

So, while our pancreases produce insulin to make use of glucose, our livers store and release glucose into our systems.  It is how we can go all night without eating and still be able to get up in the morning.  Or how we can get a burst of energy to run away from danger, etc.

In the wee hours of the morning (about 3am for me) our livers release some of that stored glucose with the purpose that it will give us the energy we need to get up and start our day\feed ourselves, etc.  This happens to everyone, diabetics and non diabetics alike.  The only difference is that that as diabetics, we don't handle that burst of extra glucose very well.

So, for example, I would go to bed a couple of hours after dinner at 10pm  with a BG reading of 85.

At midnight I might be 83

At 2am I might be 86

At 3am I am 125 (8 hours after my last meal and a jump of around 40 points).

By 7am (and my usual morning testing time) I would be at 105

I used to have it really badly the first couple of years, but for some reason it has eased off.  It still happens here and there, but much much less frequent.  Not sure why its gone away.  One thing that has changed is that I realized I was entering perimenopause and I started taking a supplement to help with hot flashes.  The two did happen around the same time frame, but I do not know if they are related.

Hormones can play all kinds of havoc with our BG levels.  In fact did you know that there are 3 hormones which raise our BG levels yet only one (insulin) that lowers it?

meyery2k

Humph!  I drink instant coffee and it has zero calories.  I add a tad of diet sugar and that's it.  But I will take what you say into consideration.  Thanks.

CB - Everyone seems to be different.  Coffee, fortunately, doesn't seem to do this to me.  Maybe after 30+ years of drinking it, I have developed tolerance for the caffeine in the 2 cups or so of coffee I have in the morning.

Testing will see how it works for you.

Carol_42

I have the dawn phenomena (DP".What this means is your sugars go up whilst you sleep. I can go to bed with a reading of 90 and wake up with a reading of 140 or higher. Some have found ways of controlling it such as taking their meds before bed, eating a snack in the middle of the night, eating dinner earlier in the day, exercising in the evening or eating a protein snack before bed.

None of that worked for me but I am finding the vegetarian eating plan I'm on now has caused me to get lower a.m. readings.....in the 120's .

Wow!  I had no idea the readings could go up like that during sleep.  It sounds like you figured out how to control it.

OneEye

...I have developed tolerance for the caffeine in the 2 cups or so of coffee I have in the morning.

Seems everything one likes...soon develops a tolerance. :(

Carol_42

I used the ReliOn meter and OneTouch Delica lancing device for the first time at 4:10 AM today.  And, yes, I fumbled my way around with trial and error until I got it right.  It took four tries with the strips, including the one I dropped on the floor.  And this is with watching YouTube videos on both products and re-reading the pamphlets.  But I did it!  (Yeah, CB, good job)

I tested on an empty stomach, and that means no coffee, either.  My mg/dl reading was 96.  I will test again, one-hour after I have my 1st meal.  I'm  not usually hungry when I first wake up, so that could be 2-hours after fast testing.  Did I say that right?  "fast testing" is when I get up in the morning and test before a meal?  I apologize for being redundant with my questions. 

I was having a bit of a trouble with the Delica lancing device.  I set the device at the lowest setting of #1 but I couldn't get any blood.  So I kept trying until I landed on #6 which gave a good poke.  BTW, I'm using the 30 gauge lancets.  Are the sides of your finger pokes supposed to look bruised afterwards, especially with the #6 poke setting?

Also do any of you download your results to your computer?  And if so, is there a special "something" I need to buy so I can do this?  Or is it not necessary to do this?  Also I don't like the logbook that came with this.  The spaces are too small.  Any suggestions on what I should get?  I know I can make my own, but sometimes it's nice to buy detail efficient recording booklets.

Thanks for the help.  Hugs.

CB

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.