Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

Got Meter and Lancets_need affirmation

JohnSchroeder

I've never dealt with bruising of the fingers.  I can see little dots on my fingers where I have tested recently, but not outright bruising.

Carol_42

"Are the sides of your finger pokes supposed to look bruised afterwards, especially with the #6 poke setting?"  I just found an answer to my own question at the Diabetes Management site.  My setting was too high and the lancet went too deep.  I'll try a #4 setting.

Carol_42

I've never dealt with bruising of the fingers.  I can see little dots on my fingers where I have tested recently, but not outright bruising.

I have a fairly good black and blue mark on the inside of my middle finger.  But I just found out the needle was going to deep.  So I've decided to change the setting to #4.  Thanks for replying.

meyery2k

cb - Unfortunately you will find that you will soon be an expert at poking yourself and getting blood lol...

Some tricks that help are to wash your hands with warm water since that gets the blood moving around in your circulation and that helps make it a little easier.

In regards to your chart, it is good to have guidelines.  Many here, however, would question the ADA recommendations.  There are many posts that address this if you want to investigate why this is.

Many of us post our daily readings in a post for morning fasting tests.  I find it keeps me accountable to myself and my friends here also help me with accountability in that thread.

Carol_42

cb - Unfortunately you will find that you will soon be an expert at poking yourself and getting blood lol...

Some tricks that help are to wash your hands with warm water since that gets the blood moving around in your circulation and that helps make it a little easier.

In regards to your chart, it is good to have guidelines.  Many here, however, would question the ADA recommendations.  There are many posts that address this if you want to investigate why this is.

Many of us post our daily readings in a post for morning fasting tests.  I find it keeps me accountable to myself and my friends here also help me with accountability in that thread.

The ADA has me baffled.  The foods or recipes they allow diabetics to eat seem wrong.  I don't know.  I'm confused about the diabetic diet.  I've been going on my own common sense on this.  Plus I read a lot of labels and food charts.  I just tested my 1st 2-hour after breakfast BG and had a score of 110 mg/dl.  And I ate 1/4 cup of black berries in a smoothie with 2-tbs creamy peanut butter.  So maybe berries are going to be okay for me.  Of course everything else in there was high healthy fat.

I get a kick out of you saying "you will soon be an expert at poking yourself and getting blood".  I think the fingers on my left hand are becoming evidence of that.  LOL  And thanks for your advice.  It's always appreciated.  I did set the lancing device at #4 on the 2nd test and so far no major bruising.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.