Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

provlima

Is there a relationship between BG levels and triglyceride level

provlima

I am 71 5-11 and weigh 180.  I have tended to have a high triglyceride level for several decades and my A1c has hovered around 5.9 for 15 years.

Does anyone know if there is a relationship between BG & Triglyceride numbers?

I'm on t LC  high protein diet and my cholesterol is controlled with lipitor to a level of 160, but I worry about my triglyceride level of 248.

I have read that sometimes high triglycerides are a sign of poorly controlled type 2 diabetes.

Any insight on this would be appreciated

Seagal

As far as I know, trigs go down dramatically with a reduction in carbs.  It did so in my case.  You say you are doing low carb, how low and do you eyeball them or know for sure?

I am surprised the statin hasn't helped with the trigs, although the biggest reduction would be in total & LDL and as the LDL goes down, the trigs can increase.

It is said that the most important ratio is the one between HDL & trigs.

Here is a method to determine your ratio:http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Cholesterol-Ratio

Stl-T2

Glucose that the body can't utilize gets converted and stored as triglycerides.  If you are insulin resistant and/or diabetic your body will often have glucose it "can't" use in the sense that it can't get into the cells that would use it because of the lack of response to insulin (insulin resistant) or just lack of insulin. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.