Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magenta Orchid

new insulin user

Magenta Orchid

I was just put on toujeo 20 ml/day. Is anyone familiar with this med? Does insulin cause wt.gain? I'm also on 1k metformin bid and repaglide 4mg (2, 2mg) with meals.

funkynassau

I use Lantus SoloStar insulin once a day at bedtime.  I dont know about what you have been put on.  Insulin can cause weight gain so you have to be vigilant about your diet.  Insulin for me was such a smart idea, I wasn't doing all that great just on pills anymore and altho reluctant to do so, I am glad I opted for insulin in addition to pills.

Cora

Toujeo is basically concentrated lantus (300 units per ml, versus the 100 units per ml of lantus).  It is a basal insulin that will help keep you lower all day.

The bottom line when adding insulin is that it can facilitate gaining weight. Here is what is happening. Right now your bgs (blood glucoses) are running high - and because of that you are peeing out sugar. Which also means that you are peeing out a lot of calories. So when you add the insulin, that sugar, those  calories that you were peeing out, will now be allowed to get into your cells.

So at this point, you need to watch carefully what you are eating as well. If you can cut back on carbs, it's quite possible that you will be able to cut back on the insulin/meds as well. And you will have to test a bit more to see how all the balancing between insulin, oral meds, and carbs is going.

Good luck to you. You can do this and lead a long, healthy, and happy life.

Hammer

Like Cora explained, once you take insulin, the glucose you were peeing out will now be absorbed into your blood cells.  It isn't the insulin that might cause you to gain weight, it's the amount of glucose that is being released into your bloodstream, and of course, the amount of glucose that is being released is the result of the amount of carbs you eat.

Keep in mind that Toujeo is a basal insulin....that means that it's only purpose is to lower your fasting glucose levels, it has no effect on your after meal spikes.  To keep your after meal spikes down, you need a bolus insulin like Novolog or Humalog.  These insulins are injected before you eat a meal, and they help keep your after meal glucose levels from going too high.

The reason for a basal insulin and a bolus insulin is easy to understand.  The basal insulin lowers your fasting glucose levels, which is the "starting point".  If your fasting glucose levels are, say, 120, then you take a basal insulin to get that 120 down to more normal levels....in my case, I want that "starting point" to be in the 70's, others may want to have a different "starting point".  By lowering that 120 to 70, then that allows me to spike up to 50 points (to 120) after a meal.  Using a bolus insulin (Novolog), I don't usually spike that high.  If your starting point is 120, then that's as high as I want to be after a meal, but I haven't eaten yet, so I'm starting out at a BG level that is too high.  By lowering the fasting BG level down to the 70's, it gives me leeway to spike a good bit, but by taking my Novolog, i usually don't spike too much.  A lot of us try to keep our BG levels after a meal, to under 120, which is what a non-diabetic is able to do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.