Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mythoughts

New here....liver disease, IR

Mythoughts

40yr old female, father has type 2, Hep C positive though just started tx yesterday. I know HCV makes me 4 times as likely to become IR. Fasting insulin 1yr ago was 5 and glusose is always normal. Last month fasting insulin spiked to 9.6 with fasting glucose at 99. A1c has been 4.9 for about 5yrs. I am beyind thin.....almost underweight, exercise constantly.

I was extremely stressed for 2wks prior to the tests, eating cr

carbs and on antibiotics. I hace been eating no grains, some carrots, blueberries, lots of veggies, nuts and beans for a week. Liver doc said I 'may have some degree if fatty liver' due to ultrasound, but to trust him not to worry about it. He is the #1 in the us and 5th in the world in liver care. He scheduled another ultrasound in May after I complete tx. He said once the hcv is gone the fatty liver, if any, and tge IR may resolve. It may not. He said I probably am IR.

Stressing on eating. I list 40lvs from stress after a divorce and need to gain!!!!! This diet makes me lose. 3lbs lighter and I start feeling unwell every time. Cannot gain eating only veggies and poultry. Thoughts in sny of this?

Thanks guys.

NoraWI

Welcome to DF. I'm having trouble understanding your post because of all the acronyms and abbreviations. Could you state simply why you are limiting your diet? Has it something to do with your fatty liver? Is there some reason why you are not eating a wider variety of meats and cheese? Seems to me that your blood glucose issues (if indeed they exist) will resolve in time once your other health problems are addressed. From the low carb standpoint, I would say that you need to expand your diet to include more of the good fats, which contain twice the calories of pretty much anything else. And more protein seems indicated from a dietary standpoint.

kooka

Stress and antibiotics can raise cane with blood sugars. As for weight loss can you add fat to your diet? An a1c measures your sugars for an average of 3-4 months so the " last two weeks" probably didn't make much difference in your overall results. Perhaps you shouldn't exercise "constantly" as you may be burning off more calories than you're taking in which could not only cause weightloss but lots of other problems emotionally and physically as well.

meyery2k

Welcome - If I only ate veggies and poultry I would be stressed too!!!  JK...

I was diagnosed about a year ago and through my travels on the Internet, found myself here.  It took me a little time to fully accept and adopt to the low carb/high fat.  Especially the high fat part because all my life, it was hammered into me how bad fat and cholesterol is while fruits and grains are so wholesome.

I started off morbidly obese (level 3) at 313 pounds.  With the diet and adopting to exercise my body balanced itself within one year (quite literally).  My weight has stabilized to around 200 pounds, I can easily maintain my diabetes, and my lipids are excellent.  I do not need to use insulin or take any medicine for diabetes at this time.

I eat better quality meals than ever.  I know how to prepare them and, believe me, there are many many more things that I can eat than I cannot.

This is a typical day for me...

Breakfast 

Bacon, sausage, or other breakfast meat, 2 eggs, 28g cheese, daikon and mushrooms fried in the bacon grease, coffee, almond milk, and cream

Lunch

Protein (poultry, beef, or pork), vegetables (salad, zucchini, cauliflower, cabbage), pork rinds, No Sugar Added ice cream bar, soft drink

Dinner 

I usually have 1 meatless meal a day

3 ozs nuts (macadamia, almonds, walnuts, pecans, and so on), vegetables, soft drink

Dessert is often a shot of whiskey in SF root beer with 1 oz. heavy cream

I liberally use butter, cream, cheese, olive oil, and coconut oil to give me energy and fill me.  I am never hungry between meals.  I have the energy to run 6 miles, swim 1 mile, or bike 50 miles (not all at once though lol...).  The carbs I do eat come primarily from non-root vegetables, nuts, and the occasional berries.

I always look forward to eating.  I have ALWAYS loved to eat and I find more variety since I have learned to become creative.

I would get snarky remarks from my friends and family about my cholesterol but, when they saw the numbers, they stopped the snarkiness and asked me how I did it.

I hope you decide to join us and will let us know how it goes.  There are many wonderful recipes here and you can find yourself eating lots of wonderful food! :)

Being ill can cause raised glucose levels.  It is possible some of this may improve once the hepC is beaten.

The feeling unwell might be a result of your body adapting itself to use fat for energy vs. carbs.  Many here report a type of "carb flu".  I experienced this for a couple of weeks when I started to take this seriously.  In time, I felt better than I did when I was 40 (I am now 50).~ Mike

jwags

If you are extremely thin you probably need to add some healthy csrbs and fats to your diet. If you indeed have a liver problem,myour Doctor should be able to give you advice on what is the best thing to eat for your condition.

Mythoughts

I do eat a ton of healthy fats. Avocado, coconut oil, nuts, seeds. The liver dic said the fatty liver was nothing yo worry about for me but it does conxern me. He said to listen to my gp, as he is a liver doc, but due to state insurance my gp is a physician's assistant who said to ignore the high fasting insulin and go by the a1c, which was fine at 4.9. We know, however, tgat high insulin is not fine. My liver doc said I am probably insulin resistant.

I have been eating beans and oats, both of which were recommended for other heslth issues before the high fasting insulin result.

I fislike eating meat, so this is hard. S9 veans and cheese should be ok? Maybe some carrot, brown rice and sweet potatoe until the Hep c is resolved? I am starving!!! I do exercise a lot but not really areobic...more strength and toning. I just cannot gain weight.

jwags

WIth a 4.9 HbA1 c I would not worry too much about insulin resistance. As far as not being able to gain weight I think you need to work with your doctor. Most people who are insulin resistant tend to be overweight, not thin. If you are overly worried about getting diabetes go buy a meter and some steips at Walmart and start testing after meals.

kooka

My closest friend has fatty liver disease stage 2-3 for the last 15 years. She gets tested once a year. She doesn't follow any special diet and until she joined weight watchers 2 years ago was obese. She has now lost 90 lbs.

I'm a overweight lacto-ovo vegetarian trying to lose 10 pounds so veggies definitely are not why the fat is still there its my calories and lack of consistent activity. 4.9 is awesome! I agree with your doctor and jwags.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.