Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magenta Orchid

metformin still working?

Magenta Orchid

I have been on met since dx for 20 yrs (1k/bid). I also take 4mg prandin with meals. I have just been put on 20 u of toujeo. Do i still need the met? Does it lose its potency?

funkynassau

Perhaps you need to ask your doctor if you need to keep taking the met.  I dont think we have any qualified doctors here.

jwags

Many people who use insulin, still take insulin. The metformin will make you more sensitive to the Toujeo, so you may need less. I would ask your doctor about the prandin though.

NoraWI

The Prandin is to press the pancreas at mealtimes. The Toujeo is a basal. Since you take a basal insulin now, I would ask your doctor about dropping the Prandin and using a bolus insulin for meals instead... Novolog, Humalog or Apidra. There was someone here who also used an inhaled bolus insulin. But I don't know much about how it works.

kooka

My friend takes 3 different pills and also takes insulin. I concur will th everyone check woth your doctor before changing anything.

samuraiguy

As mentioned above don't make any medication changes without consulting your doctor, but the only way you can truly figure out for yourself is to see if your A1C changes if you are allowed to drop the Metformin versus when you were taking it as long as you make no other significant lifestyle or medication changes. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.