Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crizal

CBD and neuropathy

Crizal

I've been reading about CBD as a treatment for neuropathy pain.  Is anyone using CBD, oil, lotions or capsules?

samuraiguy

What is CBD?

A cannabis derivative that as of now is illegal in my state, but they just voted to legalize it if the Federal government legalizes it.

dowling gram

I think they will find lots of medical uses for cannabis once it is legalized and more tests done. We all know that it does help with severe pain and that's why we have people using it as medicine. The Canadian government is running a test with cannabis oil and a few children with severe epilepsy. Some parents have been using it illegally and it works according to them. I think we would have had a lot more medical help if people hadn't used it as a recreational drug and if it hadn't been banned.

Weezy

I use both a CBD tincture and a gel to deal with hip nerve pain from nerve damage done during a hip replacement.  Fortunately, it's legal where I live.  The tincture is great for sleep--controls and calms the pain so that I CAN sleep, and we all know that chronic pain is easier to deal with when one can sleep.  The gel is great for daytime use.  The impact seems to be cumulative--doesn't seem to have much impact for a few days, then it builds up and the pain decreases dramatically.  When I stop using it, it takes a few days for the pain to build back up to higher/intolerable levels.

I prefer the CBD over any kind of pain pill--I sleep better and there are no hangovers or fuzzy heads the next morning.  The ortho was willing to prescribe all sorts of heavy-duty pain meds  and other meds (like gabapentin--which stopped working well after a few months) on an ongoing basis, but I hated the way I felt and I never seemed to sleep well.

Hubby has also used CBD tinctures because he can't take any narcotics or opiods at all--they make him nauseous.  He fell and dislocated his shoulder in December (THAT'S a story!) and the CBD has been nothing short of miraculous for him.

I have no idea if it will work for diabetic neuropathy; however, I'm impressed (and truly surprised!) at how well it works for chronic pain or pain from an injury like hubby has had.  

Moonpie

I don;t know if it will help with neuropathy, but I guess it won't hurt to try it. I know it helped my g/f with cancer tremendously in her chemo treatments.

DanG

Run From The Cure 2014 Updated

Search youtube for this title - it is an hour long testimonial about benefits of hemp.

OneEye

My sister, now 88, had IBS all her life. A few years back she chose to sell her house and move into a living facility in town. She tried for years to find help through her caregiver, Kaiser Permanente. No help. She met a lady at the living facility who also had IBS all her life. They got to talking and the woman said that she had a prescription for CBD edibles...would she like to try one. She did...and all the discomfort vanished. She now has a script for it and couldn't be happier.

Whether it's good to use for neuropathy...I don't know. But...it's a fairly non side-affect drug and were it me...I'd try it.

Crizal

Well, I guess I'll give it a try.  I don't remember when my feet weren't numb, so it can't hurt.

For those who want to know more...

CBD is one of the 2 major cannibols in hemp, the other being THC. There are like 80 cannibols in hemp altogether, but those 2 are the only ones we have any research about.  

THC is what gives someone a high, but CBD doesn't--it's believe to be the medical powerhouse of hemp. In most weed the growers try to boost the THC and lessen the CBD--most people want the high.  There are strains of weed that have high CBD as well as THC, or CBD can be extracted from the hemp as an oil and used as a supplement.

The best source CBD is actually industrial hemp that is used to make clothing, etc.  In the States the laws vary radically and so industrial help isn't widely grown, and most CBD is imported from Europe as an oil.  I live in a state where recreational pot is legal, and let's people grow industrial hemp, but you can't process industrial hemp to make CBD...pretzel logic that must of been thought of by some 17 pothead named "Skeeth".

I'll give it a try and post my results

jwags

They just legalized it in Ohio but they don't have anywhere to buy it. I have neuropathy in my hands and feet, leftover from chemo. I would definitely try it. It is much better than those pain meds that get you addicted.

OldTech

Be careful with CBD if you have gastroparesis. The last thing you want is to make your condition worse.

--Chet 

kooka

I had no clue Ohio finally gave in. Now for a seed or two and my IBS would be history. Unfortunately by the time they iron out all the kinks here I'll be in assisted living. Lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.