Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

Affect of Sleep on Blood Glucose

Carol_42

Has anyone noticed how broken sleep may affect your fasting blood glucose levels?  And what do you eat before retiring to promote a good unbroken rest?  I've read where whole grains are good for promoting sleep in apnea patients to help with blood sugar levels.  But then I've read elsewhere that whole grains are taboo for person with diabetes.

funkynassau

I wake up about once a nite to pee.  I'd love to sleep all night but I rarely do.  Of course my husband sleeps like a log, all night, after having a nap after dinner!

I dont eat anything before bed, tho sometimes we have popcorn, the kind you pop yourself.

OneEye

I've read where whole grains are good for promoting sleep in apnea patients to help with blood sugar levels.  But then I've read elsewhere that whole grains are taboo for person with diabetes.

I've read that if you read enough stuff...you'll eventually find contradicting statements. Then I read that wasn't true. :huh:

NoraWI

You've got it all reversed... sleep does NOT affect blood glucose levels. Blood glucose levels affect sleep. The only reason why whole grains (or any other carbs) will enhance sleep is because they raise BGs and high BGs cause us to fall asleep.

mom24grlz

Ashleigh seems to have no problem sleeping, but then she is both hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic unaware so she sleeps right though highs and lows. Me on the other hand, do not sleep through the night. I wake up every time i hear the CGM alarm that she' high or low. She sleeps through the CGM alarms. All my girls take after my husband, they are very deep sleepers. And pretty much nothing wakes them until its' the morning. 

NoraWI

That is typical of teens. They sleep a lot and nothing wakes them before they are ready! On the other hand, you have trained yourself to be alert to Ashleigh's alarms and wake to them when she doesn't.

Joisey

Whenever i haven't slept the normal amount at the normal time, my FBG is higher. Takes a few days of normal sleep to return to normal. I usually have a low carb snack before bed.

Carol_42

Whenever i haven't slept the normal amount at the normal time, my FBG is higher. Takes a few days of normal sleep to return to normal. I usually have a low carb snack before bed.

Thank you.  Thank you so much for reiterating what I suspected.  Restless sleep for me is a double edge sword because, for 13 weeks now, I have been sleeping with a CPAP mask for sleep apnea.  And about 9-weeks ago I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes.  Plus I'm obese: about 37 lbs. over weight.  So it's a triple edge sword that I deal with every day, trying to get rest through the night.  I'm not complaining, rather, I am explaining.  And I strongly believe once I get my weight down to normal for my body structure, the pre-D and sleep apnea will go away.  I've read so many post on other forums where people have controlled these issues with successful weight management.  And I choose to be in that league: with hope and help from above.

You eat a low carb snack before bed?  Can you tell me what kind of snacks you eat to help you sleep better?  One gal here mentioned popcorn, not the prepackaged kind.  I'm up for all kinds of suggestions.  I'm thinking maybe high fiber snacks that are homemade, e.g. flax meal muffins or flat bread.

Once again, I really appreciate your response.  Hugs.

CB

Carol_42

I just found my answer from Kit at another site. At bedtime I will snack on a small piece of cheese or a few pecans. It will be interesting to see how this affects my fasting BG tomorrow morning.

Carol_42

And, thanks to Kit, I've been all over the net studying about Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders (CRSD); melatonin; and, back to peristalsis in the rectum. In the past, I've spoken to my oncologist about the rectal discomfort a few times, and lack of sleep thereof, and the best he'd say to me is, "Well, you were radiated pretty good down there." He never offered any suggestions at all. I guess he figured that would be up to the GP.

So I'm back to feeling a tad better emotionally because I've learned today that many types of professions have person with sleep disorders that cause a multivariate of health issues. I even got into a truckers site to lurk only, and that was a lot of fun because of their dialogue. They were rough, gruff, men with sleep disorders and other major health concerns and they were also grossly angry with their insurance companies and/or the doctors that treated them. Humph!@#* And the world do go round and round, don't it ...

So my next step is to speak with my Pulmonologist about getting a low dose prescription for Melatonin (0.25 mg). And hopefully this will help me sleep better so my fasting BG levels are not so high. And this in turn should help me lose weight more effectively. I also found an article on "How to Reset Your sleep Cycle" that has excellent tips. This will be my night time project along with my pecan snack. Tomorrow is a new day. May I wake and rejoice in it.

ant hill

I find that sleep has an effect to BG's as I see a low figure I don't panic to a sugar fix, as I just wait for the Dawn Phenomenon to kick in but to any other time of the day I will treat it with a OJ or equivalent.

So as you sleep so too is your Liver so as a supper I will think of having some food that has a Low Gi or slow release Carbs as that lasts the night also have the Fast Carbs beside your bed if the need arises.

Carol_42

I find that sleep has an effect to BG's as I see a low figure I don't panic to a sugar fix, as I just wait for the Dawn Phenomenon to kick in but to any other time of the day I will treat it with a OJ or equivalent.

So as you sleep so too is your Liver so as a supper I will think of having some food that has a Low Gi or slow release Carbs as that lasts the night also have the Fast Carbs beside your bed if the need arises.

Thank you so much for your input.  I guess I should stick with a broth for dinner for a while.  I'll google for "slow release carbs".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.