Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

The End of Diabetes by Joel Fuhrman

Carol_42

Re: The End of Diabetes by Joel Fuhrman (8 Apr 2014 edition)

Has anyone used this book to manage your diabetes?  And if so, did you have good results? 

Carol_42

I read the book but it was way to restrictive for me.

Hi Barb.  Restrictive how? like the Keto diet?  I just received the book: 21-Day Weight Loss Kick Start by Neal D. Barnard, MD.  Apparently that is a popular book topic at this forum (?@#)

carfree

I used the Fuhrman approach for several months, but not the low salt part (that was just too much for me and I have low blood pressure). It was a good transition for me because I was eating mostly vegan at the time I was diagnosed, but was eating lots of healthy carbs plus sugar. I lost some weight (wasn't overweight but had just gained some weight), but it did not do anything for my blood sugars. My A1c did not budge at all. This was very disappointing. It's seemed impossible to lower my carbs and still do all the restrictions on the Fuhrman approach so I tried a different way of eating.

I think it might be a useful approach for some, but I also think Fuhrman picks and chooses his research based on what he wants to show (which many people do). Personally, I think Mark Human's approach with maybe some of Furhman's recipes and ideas might be more doable, but I'm not an expert.

Carol_42

I used the Fuhrman approach for several months, but not the low salt part (that was just too much for me and I have low blood pressure). It was a good transition for me because I was eating mostly vegan at the time I was diagnosed, but was eating lots of healthy carbs plus sugar. I lost some weight (wasn't overweight but had just gained some weight), but it did not do anything for my blood sugars. My A1c did not budge at all. This was very disappointing. It's seemed impossible to lower my carbs and still do all the restrictions on the Fuhrman approach so I tried a different way of eating.

I think it might be a useful approach for some, but I also think Fuhrman picks and chooses his research based on what he wants to show (which many people do). Personally, I think Mark Human's approach with maybe some of Furhman's recipes and ideas might be more doable, but I'm not an expert.

Thank you for your honesty, and I greatly appreciate your input because I am still learning.  I like to study all aspects of a subject: the positive and not-so-positive.

jwags

He was in Cleveland the other day to do a NPR discussion. My daughter's restrauant got the catering deal. Her restraint is a organic restrauant that has many plant based options. He gave specific instructions how to make everything. I haven'nt read the book but I can see how restrictive it is just from his order.

Carol_42

He was in Cleveland the other day to do a NPR discussion. My daughter's restrauant got the catering deal. Her restraint is a organic restrauant that has many plant based options. He gave specific instructions how to make everything. I haven'nt read the book but I can see how restrictive it is just from his order.

Humph!  Interesting.  This author definitely has my curiosity peaked just from the responses alone.

JanetP

I just bought the book.  I am not sure yet what I think of either Furman or Hyman, but am having coffee today with a friend of a friend who used their approaches with success.  I am hearing more and more about plant-based diets and the supposed reason that insulin resistance develops is that a layer of fat that is deposited along the cell walls.  Still looking for hard scientific studies to prove that one.

meyery2k

Interesting idea.  I suppose before modern agriculture plants, supplemented with some proteins, would have been the standard diet.

I eat much more vegetables now since it is something I can eat in quantity.  I have also found that if I keep on the go, my BG control is pretty easy (except for all the exercise).  If I take a small vacation from my routine, I will see my fasting BG start to slowly creep up from mostly 80's to the 90's and the occasional low 100's. 

macksvicky

I did read Joel Fuhrman's opening and on one of his testimonials about a woman who lost a bunch of weight and eats to his program is no longer diabetic. For me, anyone that makes claims that whatever pill, drink, diet plan, etc. has clients that are "no longer diabetic" just turns me off at that point. I bet if she ate a plate of lasagna, garlic bread and cake for desert...I'll show you someone that is still very much diabetic. She may very well have her BG levels well controlled but I don't believe she no longer has diabetes. 

meyery2k

Yes - That is what the doctor told me when I asked about the possibility of the diabetes diagnosis coming off the chart.  He stated that while my diabetes is so well controlled I don't appear diabetic I am, in fact, still afflicted.  He is certain a fasting glucose test would quickly point that out.  

Part of me is curious to see how a test would go now but most of me is in the why bother camp?  It is not like I can go back to eating the things I ate before and return to a sedentary lifestyle.  My success was accepting this and that I need to do the things I do to enjoy a productive life.

macksvicky

Fantastic approach Mike! I can't imagine going back to the way I used to eat and become a couch potato again...I was so miserable.

JanetP

I agree with the 80% mental part!!  I am currently struggling with burnout over the whole thing!

I had a nice visit with the friend's friend who is (sort of)  following Furman's approach.  He is a chemical engineer who has kept meticulous records and who has only been doing it a few months.  He has lost a tremendous amount of weight and walks for 2 hours every day.  His results were impressive, though I don't remember what his initial A1C was.  He is 70 years old and on no meds whatsoever for anything.   His focus is on fiber, fiber, fiber, and more fiber with very little animal protein.  He has also done a lot of work with the FDA and food processing and told me a few interesting stories.

He told me about a way of cooking steel cut oats that does not break down the cellulose in the oats cell walls and release the starchy components.  I may give that a try and see if I spike.  I do miss oatmeal.  I will report back on that one if I decide to experiment with it.

I did tell him about this group and sent him links to my original sources of info for LCHF.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.