Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jie_m1

Diabetes in Sport

jie_m1

Hi my name is Jason Milligan, I am a student at City of Glasgow College and i'm doing a project on diabetes in sport and I was hoping anyone on this site who has played sport would be willing to answer these questions for me.
How much of an effect do you think diabetes has on sporting performance? Have you been injured and if so do you feel diabetes changes the recovery process compared to athletes without the disease? In reference to injury is there certain medications you’re not able to take during the recovery process because of the disease? What health procedures and precautions do you have to take before, during and after training or competition and do you feel this disadvantages you in any way? How much of an impact have medical advancements made on people with diabetes who want to take part in sport and have you noticed a difference since you started playing sport?
If there's anything else you'd like me to include in the project about your experience in sport feel free to include it.
Also to prevent clogging up the thread feel free to email your answers to jason-milligan@hotmail.co.uk

Bar&In

1. None

2. No

3. No

4. None aside from checking pump and no it doesn't create any disadvantages.

5. Significant impact, for instance CGM's.

Cora

First let me apologize for my snickering and shaking my head. Sorry, but you seem to be involved in many diabetes oriented stereotypes. I was lucky enough to be 'raised' in my diabetic life by a world class endocrinologist who informed my parents (when I was dxd at age 2) that I would lead a normal life and could do anything I set my mind to. So I've figure skated, played tennis, skied (Xcountry and downhill) played squash, cycled, hiked, ran....etc.

So in answer to your questions:

1. Effect on sporting performance.....None

2. Injuries and diabetes.....of course I've been injured and I've always healed as well as anyone else

3. Disadvantages?....no

4. Advances....Easier to know my bg than it used to be, but no advantages or disadvantages. No differences for me with technology, I've always been as active as I can be

The bottom line is that there is no reason a diabetic can't be as active and competetive as any "normal" person. In that regard, we are "normal".

JohnSchroeder

There are many world class athletes that have diabetes.  

Arthur Ashe and Billie Jean King among them...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sportspeople_with_diabetes

What is really interesting to me about that is virtually all examples shown are T1.  Possible reasons include...

• T2 is so common that no one keeps track?
  • The life of a professional athletes makes it much more difficult for the impacts of T2 diabetes to be discovered?
  • Most athletes are young and typically T2 doesn't manifest until the individual is past professional sports age.

meyery2k

John - The jumped out at me too.  I suspect that you are correct since T2 doesn't show up too often until we get older.

What I think would be interesting would be to see how many professional athletes are pre-D?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.