Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

Serve Me My Last Meal

Carol_42

What should I eat for dinner, or last meal of the day, before I retire?  I'm eating semi-Keto, if that makes any sense.  I want to lower my morning fasting glucose number, but I don't know what I should eat.  Should I just drink broth?  I know I need to check my proteins and fats and carbs and get them in balance.  I've only been eating two meals because I'm too tired to eat at supper time.  And I'm not hungry.  Could that be throwing off my macro-balance?  God, I need somebody to take me by the hand.  All I'm doing is reading, reading, reading, and so much of it is contradictory.

I have eliminated from my diet: bread, grains, potatoes, ice cream, all cheese crackers, and some veggies.  I only eat chicken, tuna, salmon, sardines, and lean meat patties.  If I eat fruit, it's only 1/4 cup and mixed in a smoothie high in fats.  And I eat cacao fat bombs with chopped almonds, but not every day.

Somebody.  Please.  Tell me what to eat for dinner.  Please make it light because chances are I will be too tired to eat.  I believe I need to eat that last meal around supper time to lower morning fasting mg/dl.  (Supper.  Dinner.  Whatever it's called.) The last meal is about 2:00 in the afternoon.

meyery2k

cb - Oddly enough, for me, once I got my head wrapped around no starches it was one of the most liberating things I ever did in my life.  I eat better quality food than ever since I don't have rice, bread, or potatoes filling me up.

Dinner, for me, is usually meatless.  I will have 2 or 3 oz. of nuts (some mix of almonds, pistachios, macadamias, pecans, or walnuts).  Nuts are not expensive when consumed in moderation.  A 1 pound bag can be had for about $8 and lasts a long time for me.

Last night I had 3 oz. of nuts (macadamias and almonds), spinach and tofu salad with ranch dressing, SF root beer with a shot of rum and a shot of whipped cream. My BG this morning was 84.

I will then have some kind of vegetables.  Some favorites...

I start with 1 cup of broth.  I chop up some zucchini and broccoli and dump it in the broth.  Let is simmer until the veggies soften and then season.  I always start with salt and pepper to taste.  I will then use curry, cajun spice, garlic, peppers, or any myriad of spices.  I use cream, butter, sour cream to flavor and thicken.

Lunch is my big meal.  Like dinner would usually be.

One of my favorites is to take salami slices, top with a little cheese, and pop under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes.  I then top with a little mayo, mustard, and a jalapeno pepper slice.

Today, I have a 4oz. hamburger patty that I plan to make a cheeseburger with.  

Tuna salad is always a favorite.  Fish from sashimi to broiled.  

Chicken, pork chops, or fish fried up in coconut flour is another favorite.

Sides are usually vegetables and pork rinds in lieu of chips or french fries.

One of my favorites that is simple is to take about 100-125g of cauliflower.  Place in a microwave safe covered dish with about 2 Tbsps of water and microwave on high for about 3 minutes.  You want it soft, but not too mushy.

I then mash with butter, sour cream, and season to taste.  Add an ounce of cheddar cheese if you like.

Admittedly there is some work to prepare these things but, honestly, I get much more satisfaction when I sit down to eat them.

For the night though, I have found not eating heavy and sticking to mostly veggies helps in the morning.  It makes the difference between being in the 80's and being in the 90's.

As far as all of the contradictions, I believe much of it is due to there being so many reasons behind diabetes.  What works great for one person may not work so well for another.  Eventually, you will find what works best for YOU.  Once you find this, you will have a handle on all this.

Kit

Sadly I liver dump like crazy if I consistently skip meals, so three a day works best for me.  I tend to split my protein consumption pretty evenly over my three meals.  I'm most insulin resistant in the mornings, so eat very few carbs then and split the remainder of my budget between lunch and dinner.

What I eat varies so much depending on what I have, what I feel like, how much energy I have, etc.

A few examples of my easy ones

Salad:  I usually grab the bagged salad mixes.  Dump some on a plate with maybe some additional veggies like cucumber, pepper, mushrooms, tomato.  Add some protein like cheese, lunch meat, left over meat from another meal, etc.  Usually make my own dressing which is vinaigrette based or a bottled ranch dressing if I'm really lazy.  Taco salads I'll skip the dressing and use sour cream, hot sauce, and maybe some guac if I feel up for it.

Fried cabbage with sausage.  Fry up some sausage (I like hot italian), Then I fry some cabbage (can use those bagged coleslaw pre shredded things) with some onion and mushrooms maybe some kale.  Also works well with thick cut bacon instead of sausage.  Cook the cabbage in the bacon fat for excellent flavor.

Stir frys in general - random low carb veggies (whatever I feel like at the time and have).  Toss in some left over meat, season to preference.  usually takes about 15 minutes to make.  I make an oriental inspired one with onion, pepper, mushrooms, snow peas, zoodles, spinach, and whatever else I might have on hand at the time.  Season with soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and hot chili oil or red chili flakes (I like spicy).  As you are not needing to moisten\flavor rice, there's no need for this to have a whole lot of sauce.

Leftover surprise.  Left over veggies and meat.  Sauteed in butter.  Toss in some zoodles and cook til zoodles are just done.  Season however you like.

Egg scramble - A couple eggs beaten with a little HWC.  Saute veggies (spinach/mushrooms/peppers usually), then dump on eggs and scramble til done.  Serve with a couple splashes hot sauce and a little sour cream.

As you can see, most of my cooking is done in a skillet.  Its very rare for dinner to take me more than 15-20 minutes or so to prepare.

Really, unless I overdo something at dinner, I haven't been able to correlate my macros at dinner with my morning numbers.  I can eat something small one night and have excellent numbers the next morning.  Do the same the next night and have higher numbers the morning after.  Same with larger meals.  Morning may be higher or lower.  More than food affects your BG and I suspect that's a big factor for me.

You might also consider some batch cooking.  Its just as easy and quick to make 2 servings as it is one.  Stick half in the fridge and the next dinner time just nuke for a few minutes and eat.  I am the goddess of leftovers.  ;)

In all honesty, the biggest factor in getting my morning numbers under control was realizing I was starting perimenopause and getting my hormones under at least better control (with no help from my doctors I might add no matter how much I begged).  Once that happened I'm pretty much consistently under 100 every morning unless I do something stupid the night before.

Kit

Oh, a few hints on easy meals.

1)  Prep.  I don't eat a whole tomato, pepper, or onion at once.  Instead I grab one of two, chop them up, and store in containers in the fridge.  This makes it very easy to add a little of any of them to any meal I'm working on.

2)  Leftovers are wonderful.  Now I personally rarely make full meals in advanced.  But maybe one Saturday I make a big roast.  I cut\slice it up and store in the fridge.  That way I can pull out a little meat for my meal.  (Unless Mr Fuzzy has stolen it all.)  Its already cooked and just needs to be tossed with the cooking veggies at the end to warm up.  Or maybe if I'm roasting vegetables, I'll roast a bunch at once.  Then I have my veggies ready and just need to think about the protein.

3)  Clean and prep your veggies when you come home from the store.  Its always a lot easier to grab and toss in a skillet on week nights when you don't have a lot of energy.

Carol_42

Oh, dang-it, I think I just lost my reply. Mike and Kit, thanks so much for your advice. I ate a good salad for din-din, along with lentils and pecan halves and look forward to seeing if my fasting BG is lower tomorrow morning. I'm getting tired so I'll come back tomorrow and comment some more. Everything both of you said hits home with me. Thanks a bazillion.

CB

mystiquarte

cb ~ prior to starting basal/bolusing mid-jan I was only having basal and byetta which wasn't sufficient and my readings were consistently very to very, very and sometimes dangerously high - having said that one thing that remained constant was my food and portion sizes eating small entree style meals six times a day 2-3 hrs inbetween [you could say i kept it the same as in thats the control] fine tuning diet and insulin was and still is paramount in my fight to normalise my readings.  My FBG's are usually around 4.5 (82) if they raise higher than this I am quick to correct it immediately so they don't become out of control again. 

now i'm basal bolusing getting the correct amount of insulin my readings are getting extremely even during the course of the day, only rising somewhere between 2am and 6am thanks to the liver dump...which i correct with a split dose of insulin before the liver dumps

so, basically i can say that regardless of my insulin everything else remands the same, so if i have a prob i can figure it out relatively 'easily' if not then i run it by my diabetic educator.

I have a couple of easy go-to-meals that i have if i can't be bothered cooking or my eating disorder is making life difficult...its a kind-of fruit salad, my 'free' fruit is strawberries so i throw in a handful, then add 2 others can be whatever is on hand then i top it with 30grams almonds its so good.  The other one, kaleslaw, cherry tomatoes and herbed goats cheese crumbled on top and 2 thin rice cakes...

With your broth - chicken broth? - i would add ginger, garlic, lemongrass, coriander/cilantro either tofu or chicken and a little vermicelli [i'm strange that rice doesn't spike me - maybe because i've eaten asian based diet all my life] but if you didn't add vermicelli add some zucchini noodles and maybe some chili on top for garnish/added flavour and its great for smashing insulin-resistance  ~ hope it helps!

Carol_42

cb ~ prior to starting basal/bolusing mid-jan I was only having basal and byetta which wasn't sufficient and my readings were consistently very to very, very and sometimes dangerously high - having said that one thing that remained constant was my food and portion sizes eating small entree style meals six times a day 2-3 hrs inbetween [you could say i kept it the same as in thats the control] fine tuning diet and insulin was and still is paramount in my fight to normalise my readings.  My FBG's are usually around 4.5 (82) if they raise higher than this I am quick to correct it immediately so they don't become out of control again. 

now i'm basal bolusing getting the correct amount of insulin my readings are getting extremely even during the course of the day, only rising somewhere between 2am and 6am thanks to the liver dump...which i correct with a split dose of insulin before the liver dumps

so, basically i can say that regardless of my insulin everything else remands the same, so if i have a prob i can figure it out relatively 'easily' if not then i run it by my diabetic educator.

I have a couple of easy go-to-meals that i have if i can't be bothered cooking or my eating disorder is making life difficult...its a kind-of fruit salad, my 'free' fruit is strawberries so i throw in a handful, then add 2 others can be whatever is on hand then i top it with 30grams almonds its so good.  The other one, kaleslaw, cherry tomatoes and herbed goats cheese crumbled on top and 2 thin rice cakes...

With your broth - chicken broth? - i would add ginger, garlic, lemongrass, coriander/cilantro either tofu or chicken and a little vermicelli [i'm strange that rice doesn't spike me - maybe because i've eaten asian based diet all my life] but if you didn't add vermicelli add some zucchini noodles and maybe some chili on top for garnish/added flavour and its great for smashing insulin-resistance  ~ hope it helps!

Kale slaw.  I never would've thought of that.  And I just bought a big bag for juicing and smoothies.  Thank you.  I'm reluctantly avoiding grains.  You've been very helpful.   Thank you.

LaRue

On the keto journey I've been on, and as a pre-diabetic, I've learned through my own experience, and validated through research that if you're not hungry.....don't eat. Simple as that.

There's nothing magical about eating 3 meals a day vs. 2, or 4, or one.

I've been doing keto since I think mid-November, so I finally feel like I have some cred.

Logging what I ate was indispensible for a long time for me. Now, I see that for me some of that was trying to create wiggle room for some type of carbish thing. 

Then, it dawned one me....coco, just eat a lot of fat, some protein, and a lot of above the ground vegetables. I'm lucky that I don't have to look at the clock to see "if it's time to eat" because I live on my own schedule, not needing to take a lunch hour, dinner break, or have breakfast any particular time.

What to eat when you don't know what to eat, or what you want? For me, it's eggs, or cheese. Pasture raised eggs, or Kelsey Gold Cheese. 

Something else I'll have when nothing in particular comes to mind are black olives, cucumbers, salami, cheese, avocado, olive or avocado oil, all together or in some mixture. 

Like Mike, eating a ketogenic diet has been one of the most liberating things ever. This may sound strange to some, but it's a truly beautiful thing. I'm no longer tied to wanting. Not just wanting certain foods, but it's somehow spilled into other parts of my life. 

cbokay, I'm in no position to give advice, but I can give my opinion. Saying you are eating "semi-Keto" is like saying you're a little bit pregnant. Either you are, or you aren't.

I totally get there are some things you want. The other day I was talking to a friend, and we started talking about this great vegetarian restaurant that has the absolute best beans and rice in the universe. Obviously not something I'm going to have. What I said to my buddy was, "They also make the best omelets with gruyere cheese and leeks." This made me look forward to going there soon. Only my opinion, but for me, I would be tormenting myself eating something I love like lentils. I know I'm just prolonging the time my body is trying to get through the carbs.

Sitting here thinking what I would eat if it occured to me I wanted lentils, I think I'd have an avocado and some tuna, with mayo and added olive oil and salt. If I ate that, I wouldn't want anthing else.

I know if I want to put off eating for a valid reason, I'll make a huge cup of tea with some stevia, and cream. Maybe a cup of that at 2pm would feel good.

Quick story. My husband asked me yesterday if I could eat a certain type of nut. I think cashews. First off, I don't think in terms of what I "can and can't" eat. I said to him, "I like to eat macadamian and brazil nuts" He asked me something else, and we started to have an interesting conversation. At one point this came to me...I said my body has 2 engines. One runs on carbs and the other runs on fat. Whenever I ate carbs (it came up because I had actually eaten some bread the day before) it automatically switches to the carb engine, and I've got to wait until it runs out so the smoother running fat engine can kick in. I added that I didn't want to waste time sputtering and feeling unhappy while I ran out of carb gas. When I think of it that way, I think how stupid it is to keep putting anything in the carb tank beyond vegetables. 

Another thing I said was that I've considered why eating so much fat isn't bad for you. I feel like fat is like plastic explosives. Totally harmless unless there's a blasting cap attached to it. Carbs are the blasting cap. If you denotate the carbs, you body uses and craves more, and doesn't want to use the fat, so it shoves it into your arteries and other places. If you just use the fat, it has no extra to store in dangerous places.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.