Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mom24grlz

subtracting fiber

mom24grlz

ok someone please explain this to me LOL!  The only thing we were told was to if a food at 5g or more fiber per serving to subtract 1/2 the amount from your carb count. I think we've done this once in almost 7 years of diabetes. So yeah..we don't eat a lot of high fiber foods.  I bought some high fiber oatmeal for Ashleigh to try (along with low sugar and sugar free). The high fiber says it has 10g dietary fiber. 8g soluble fiber. Does that mean there's 10g fiber all together, but 8 is soluble? or is there 10g + 8g soluble so 18 g all together?  Also would you subtract 1/2 like i was taught? or subtract the full amount?

NoraWI

I don't subtract fiber. Ever. It just complicates things. Complicated enough that carb counts vary and are affected by fat.

Gladtobehere

Soluble fibre digests.

The whole concept of subtracting fibre is based on the fibre being NOT soluble.

You need to use your meter and develop your own rules. I don't subtract fibre like NoraWI.  For the same reason.   I just take a smaller bolus and correct later.

Oatmeal will be a tough one, but this is like the glycemic index .......it works better for some, than others.

mom24grlz

I don't subtract fiber. Ever. It just complicates things. Complicated enough that carb counts vary and are affected by fat.

thanks. Like i said we've only subtracted once in 7 years. I just realized it'll be 7 years in 6 days!  But i wasn't sure with the oatmeal being such high fiber how that would affect blood sugars.  I thought maybe the carb counts was just off on her oatmeal (off brand) but i compared to name brands and it's the exact same.  Wonder if the low sugar or sugar free version would work better. 

mom24grlz

Soluble fibre digests.

The whole concept of subtracting fibre is based on the fibre being NOT soluble.

You need to use your meter and develop your own rules. I don't subtract fibre like NoraWI.  For the same reason.   I just take a smaller bolus and correct later.

Oatmeal will be a tough one, but this is like the glycemic index .......it works better for some, than others.

thank you! i wasn't sure what the soluble fiber meant and whether you subtracted soluble or non soluble fiber from carb counts.

dowling gram

Subtracting fiber works for some but not for others. I do subtract all the fiber from all the carbs and use net carbs for my carb count. It works for me but it may not work for everyone

mom24grlz

Subtracting fiber works for some but not for others. I do subtract all the fiber from all the carbs and use net carbs for my carb count. It works for me but it may not work for everyone

thank you! i guess the only way to know if it'll work, is to give it a try. 

LaRue

I do what dowling gram does.

Total carb grams minus fiber grams = net carbs

That's why I can eat things like whole avocados every day....tons of fiber.

Orlando

I do what dowling gram does.

Total carb grams minus fiber grams = net carbs

That's why I can eat things like whole avocados every day....tons of fiber.

Pity you dont eat avocado, its so nutrient rich. You can easily test to your meter and see if it does or does not cause a glucose peak. I eat some nuts with high total carbs and if I counted their contribution to my carb allowance, I would need to reject them. I tested with my meter and found that they have no significant effect on BG measurements. Both types, macadamia and pecans have a very high fat content, that also helps.Same story re Flax and Chia seeds. IMHO, its a pity to reject perfectly good foods without first testing.

LaRue

Oh I DO eat avocados!

It's one of my favorite things. It's part of my breakfast almost every day.

My go-to nuts are macadamian and brazil.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.