Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carol_42

Study: 1-Hour Post Prandial Glucose

Carol_42

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/1-hour-post-prandial-glucose-predictor-of-prediabetes-risk/

"Numbers Matter: 1-Hour Post Prandial Glucose Possible Predictor of Prediabetes Risk: June 11, 2016

Attn: all journey men and women in the field of Big-D.  Tell me what you think about this article.  I think I should go back to testing 1 & 2 hours postprandial.

NoraWI

Go ahead if you wish. My rule for testing is whether I gain information and take action according to results. Otherwise, it makes no sense to test.

Carol_42

Go ahead if you wish. My rule for testing is whether I gain information and take action according to results. Otherwise, it makes no sense to test.

Did you read the article?

Orlando

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/1-hour-post-prandial-glucose-predictor-of-prediabetes-risk/

"Numbers Matter: 1-Hour Post Prandial Glucose Possible Predictor of Prediabetes Risk: June 11, 2016

Attn: all journey men and women in the field of Big-D.  Tell me what you think about this article.  I think I should go back to testing 1 & 2 hours postprandial.

For me a lunch post prandial test at 5 hours is more useful than a 1 hour reading.For breakfast its 3 hours after the first bite, We are all so very different. What counts is the AUC [ area under the curve ]

Carol_42

For me a lunch post prandial test at 5 hours is more useful than a 1 hour reading.For breakfast its 3 hours after the first bite, We are all so very different. What counts is the AUC [ area under the curve ]

Thanks, Orlando.  Okay I'll stick with the plan: 3 hours after the 1st bite.  I've been testing after I finished my meal/s.  Is that wrong?

Kit

I was always told to test right before your first bite of food, regardless on how long it takes you to eat a meal.  So that's what I do.  From what I understand, your body actually starts reacting to the food you eat the moment the first bite enters your mouth.  To be fully honest though, there can sometimes be a gap of around 15 minutes from the time I test and the times I take my first bite of food.  I hate to have my food sitting there going cold while I go test myself.  Especially a pain in restaurants.

I like to keep my post readings consistent, which is why I always check at around 2 hours.  If I do at another time point, it is almost always in addition to the 2 hour reading instead of replacing it.  Again, consistency for comparisons.

I don't usually bother after 2 hours (unless I'm spot checking for delayed jumps) because I aim to be back at base line by 2 hours if not very close to it.

And back to numbers, I screwed up yesterday.  I meant to test before and after lunch but forgot my meter at home.  So it was dinner again.

Stir fried cauliflower, broccoli, onion, kale, and mushrooms served with chopped chicken from a store bought rotisserie.  Mixture of white and dark meat.

Before:  92

2 hours later:  90

This morning:  82

Orlando

Thanks, Orlando.  Okay I'll stick with the plan: 3 hours after the 1st bite.  I've been testing after I finished my meal/s.  Is that wrong?

IMHO test results are only useful if they provide information as to where the problem is, and how it may be corrected, by shuffling the cards ie playing around with the macro nutrients ie quality, quantity and timing of intake. We all have different BG trace outs, so at least in the beginning we need to learn how our systems respond to our meals over time. In the beginning it takes a lot of time and testing, there is now way I think of finding short cuts. In any event things get easier as time goes by, as more and more you learn from your own personal experience.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.