Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rutgers2017

Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Survey - Please Take!!

Rutgers2017

A HEALTH SURVEY

What is the study about?

This study aims to examine the perceptions and beliefs about health and body image among individuals living with chronic pain and chronic illnesses, such as diabetes. Participants will be asked to complete several surveys assessing their attitudes and cognitions about their physical appearance and their feelings about themselves.

Who is eligible?

Participants must be able to speak and write fluently in English, be at least 18 years of age or older, and diagnosed with diabetes (type 1 or type 2) or a condition that causes chronic pain of any kind.

Where is the study taking place?

The study will be conducted as an online survey and will be accessible through qualtrics https://rutgers.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5BDEuYprpXGH3bD

How long will the study take?

The online survey will be take approximately 15-30 minutes to finish.

Are the participants compensated?

Participation is completely voluntary. Participants completing the survey will be entered into a drawing to win a $50 Visa gift card.  For every 30 participants who take part in this study, a raffle for $50 will take place.

For more information about this study, contact Dr. Charlotte Markey by phone 856-225-6332 or by email chmarkey@camden.rutgers.edu.

Thank You!!

adiantum

Dr. Charlotte Markey, Offering $50 gift cards suggests to me that you have NOT gained approval from the administrator to run this survey.

email & web address, phone numbers etc are not within the guidelines.

Perhaps you could inform us that Tony has given you permission?

dowling gram

For your information I have Diabetes and I have no chronic pain because I control my blood glucose. If you want chronic pain you need to go somewhere where there are people who have uncontrolled diabetes

Cora

I'd love to see how you found enough significant similarities between diabetes (T1 or T2) and chronic pain to do a research project combining the two issues.

Oh, wait, we just had  a survey that was very focused on the horrible and significant pain we feel when we test our blood sugar. Maybe that's the connection I'm missing?

Weezy

Out of curiosity, I went to the website and took the survey.  This one is definitely legit--it has a standard IRB permission/disclosure form at the beginning with all the proper contact information on it, so it seems to have been through the research review process at Rutgers.

It was an interesting survey and in many ways did not seem to be directly related to pain from diabetes.  I have chronic pain, but it is not caused by diabetes and from the way the survey was designed, I was able to respond accurately.

On the other hand, it does seem like something like this should have been approved by this board's admin.

JohnSchroeder

Took the survey... it is mostly focused on personal body image rather than diabetes.  To be fair, while the post title suggests otherwise, the first line of the description of the survey says as much. The doctors apparently just assume that all diabetics are fat, unhappy, out of shape and hate their bodies therefore we would be a good group to survey.

It seems like a forum for morbidly obese people would have been a better fit for many of the questions.  The questions made it perfectly clear they didn't know a damn thing about diabetes (type 1 or 2) or how people care for it.

I can't help but connect this liberal thinking at universities.. many of the questions assumed we saw ourselves as victims.  Going so far as to ask how often we get called names or discriminated against due to our condition.  I found it rather insulting.

meyery2k

I was going to go cycling but it just started showering so I am waiting to see how the weather will go.  I took the survey and there were, to me, some interesting questions that challenged me to take a look at how I view myself.

OneEye

I took the survey and there were, to me, some interesting questions that challenged me to take a look at how I view myself.

From your avatar...you look stoned. :)

Cora

So I did do the survey. It's quite well put together, but I question their targeting of people with diabetes. The implications of many of the questions seem to be dealing with many diabetes related stereotypes. That we are fat, non-compliant, and don't really work to take care of ourselves. And really! "Severe" diabetes? You obviously know nothing about the disease you are surveying. I think you'd be better off with a weight loss/obesity group or a body dysmorphic disorder group.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.