Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MichelleJustsBreathes

I'm pretty scared. My doctor says I have diabetes!!!

MichelleJustsBreathes

Hi!

I'm very new to this site but I'm not sure where else to turn. I went to the doctor for an anxiety follow up (I have anxiety and panic attacks) and while I was there, I mentioned how I've been working out and eating great but my weight won't budge. He ordered a blood test and my A1c was 5.7. He told me I was diabetic and need to take metformin. This scares me. With my anxiety, I already worry all the time. I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm 37

I weigh 172 lbs

I workout some and eat pretty healthy.

This is shocking to me and I wonder if I can reverse this without medication.

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. To overcome my anxiety about my diagnosis I set some weight loss and blood glucose goals and then set up a daily plan to reach them. To allay your fears an A1C of 5.7 is considered at the edge of prediabetes, but don't refuse the medicine if it can help until lifestyle changes can lower your A1C. Keeping your A1C under 6 statistically makes you the same as a non-diabetic (CDC) for complications risks and all forms of mortality. Those needing medical care for diabetic complications are heavily weighted to people with an A1C over 7 (CDC). I am in my sixth year since diagnosis and have kept my A1C under 5.7 the bulk of that time and have no diabetic retinopathy, no neuropathy, and passed my last stress test and calcium scoring test with flying colors.

MichelleJustsBreathes

Wow! Great job! Hearing things like this give me hope. Thanks for sharing that!

Kit

Hi Michelle,

With an A1C of 5.7, you certainly should be able to control this without medication.  Actually at that level, many doctors would do nothing at all, so kudos to yours.  I was diagnosed just over 3 years ago with an A1C of 10.4 and for the last 2.5 years I've been bouncing around between 5.1 and 5.2, so there is no need to panic.  :)

Now, define eating great.  because what great means to most people is actually not for diabetics.  Specifically we have basically an intollerance to carbohydrates.  This means that all the healthy whole grains and fruits aren't really good for us.  I instead choose to spend my carb budget of low carb vegetables.  That means I don't eat any grains (wheat, rice, barley, oats, corn and similar).  I also do not eat most fruits with the exaction of some berries here.  I say most as there are fruits which most people don't think of as fruits like zucchini, avocado, and tomato.

An example of a recent meal was an asian inspired stir fry.  (Copied and pasted from another post)

Four pan seared scallops with bok choy, shiitake mushrooms, bean sprouts, snow peas, and some red and yellow pepper.  Cooked in pork lard with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, mongolian fire oil (a hot chili oil), and a little salt and pepper.  Topped with a small squeeze of lime and some chopped green onions.

Tonight is a large wilted spinach salad.  Raw baby spinach leaves and thin sliced red onion and then laid a sliced hard boiled egg on top.  Then I fried 4 pieces of bacon.  Once removed from the pan I added a bit of dijon mustard, a splash of red wine vinegar, dash of salt and some cracked black pepper.  Swirl around to combine and then pour over the salad.  Topped with three of the pieces of bacon crumbled.  (My husband stole the 4th).

Both meals low carb, tasted wonderfully, satisfying, and played very well with my blood glucose readings.

This basically falls under a lchf (low carb/moderate protein/high fat) diet.  A benefit to this is that people often loose a significant amount of weight as well.  One of our members here (Mike) recently hit over 100 pounds lost.

I might also suggest getting yourself a blood glucose meter if your doctor done so already.  Strips can be expensive.  I personally use the ReliOn Prime from Walmart.  Its strips cost $9 for 50 or $18 for 100, which is way cheaper than my insurance copay.  Oh, something to add.  If you do go for a meter with more expensive strips, make sure it is one your insurance is willing to cover (insurance companies usually have a single preferred meter which is the only one they will cover.  of course that assumes your doctor is willing to write a prescription to begin with.

A blood glucose meter is a valuable tool for a diabetic.  It allows you to see how foods are affecting your body.  What you do is test right before a meal and then 2 hours later (that timing can change for various reasons, but 2 hours is a good place to start).  This will help you identify what foods take you out of your preferred range so you can either reduce your serving size of those foods or eliminate it from your diet.

Then you need to set your target goals.  I personally aim for under 100 fasting or before meals and to be back under 100 by two hours later.  This has worked in giving me an A1C in the low 5s.

Anyway, look around, there's tons and tons of information here as well as recipes, links to informative sites, etc.  Feel free to ask any questions you might have.  The only stupid question is the one left unasked.

meyery2k

Michelle - Welcome.  I was diagnosed a little over one year ago.  Full blown Type 2.  I was prescribed Metformin.  Health wise, I did everything wrong prior to being diagnosed.  Very obese, very sedentary, ate a lot of junk.

The complications frightened me.  I have had family lose feet to complications.  I decided that I love my feet and used this as a catalyst to better myself. I lost over 100 pounds, regularly work out, and no longer need Metformin (at least for now).

Please try not to be overly anxious.  In many, many cases diabetes can be controlled.  It does take some effort but it is well worth it. 

I ditto what Kit has posted.  In fact, she got me started down this path.

You might want to look at diet and eliminate as many carbohydrates as possible.  It worked wonders for me. ~ Mike

Orlando

Hi Michelle, welcome to the forums. I was tagged with the pre diabetic label about 4 years ago. I was very overweight at the time. Since lost over a 100 lbs and now use the LCHF[ low carbohydrate high fat diet] to control BG values. It works very well for me and many others. Google blood sugar 101 and you will get a wealth of excellent information. Ask plenty of questions , you knowledge re the "D" will increase rapidly as will your self confidence. You are really lucky, you are getting a second opportunity to embrace a life style that will keep you in the best of health.Forgot to say, I dont take any medications for controlling BG values. Anyway I wish you all the very best, as you start out on your new journey.

MichelleJustsBreathes

I'm very happy to have found this site. Everyone is so sweet and helpful and very informative. I LOVE hearing all of progress that has been made. Hearing these positive stories definitely helps with my anxiety.

What I thought was healthy, I now know wasn't as good for me as I thought. I would eat a lot of brown rice, fruit (such as bananas), wheat bread, and I would snack on tortillas chips. Although I hate giving up these foods, I would much rather avoid the alternative.

Thanks again everyone. I know where to come for support! ❤

Lab3

Welcome to  the forums.  

Couple recipes to help you through the transition

Cauliflower fried rice

https://www.ketoconnect.net/recipe/cauliflower-fried-rice/

Keto Style Doritios

http://www.bakingoutsidethebox.com/keto-doritos-safe-cheat-oh-dorketos/

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/ (lot of good casseroles here)

And if you have a bit of a sweet tooth just google fat bombs :)

MichelleJustsBreathes

Yesssss!!!! Thanks so much! I'm loving the recipes!!

Thanks so much! ❤❤❤

jwags

I was dx'd 10 years ago with an HbA1 c of 11. I was normal weight and worked out 2-3 hours a day. I was a vegetarian and ate fairly healthy. I did lose some weight on Metformin and I am now 110 pounds, my HS weight. Some days diabetes is still a struggle but I manage it with 2 diabetes drugs.

MichelleJustsBreathes

Hi Jwags,

Did you have any side effects with the metformin? I would like to lose weight (my doctor promised I would lose 30 lbs by May if I took the Metformin) but I don't know if I could handle the side effects.

Kit

I had some very mild gastric issues for about a week or so after I started.  It then went away and hasn't caused me a problem since.

Uff Da

Welcome to DF, Michelle.

I was originally misdiagnosed as a type 2 and was on metformin as well as other oral meds my first year and a half until I finally got referred to an endo, diagnosed as type 1 and put on insulin. The endo told me I could continue the metformin, but I'd tried to get my PCP to drop it previously since I didn't think it did squat for my BG, so I dropped it.

I was never on the regular metformin, though, only the ER, extended release, which is easier on the digestive system. I had basically had to practically starve myself while I was misdiagnosed, so I lost so much weight I got down to 106 pounds. But I attribute that to deliberately eating less than I needed since that was the only way to keep my BG down. I dropped the met after going on insulin since I was able to get my BG into normal territory easily with insulin and didn't want to have to take four more pills a day along with the mountain of pills I have to take for other reasons. But met is known for having a mild appetite suppressant effect, and at that point I was very underweight and wanted to gain weight.

Someone who wanted to lose weight might find met to be mildly helpful.

LaRue

I'm very happy to have found this site. Everyone is so sweet and helpful and very informative. I LOVE hearing all of progress that has been made. Hearing these positive stories definitely helps with my anxiety.

What I thought was healthy, I now know wasn't as good for me as I thought. I would eat a lot of brown rice, fruit (such as bananas), wheat bread, and I would snack on tortillas chips. Although I hate giving up these foods, I would much rather avoid the alternative.

Thanks again everyone. I know where to come for support! ❤

Welcome to the site Michelle. I think you'll find it very helpful and supportive.

Like you, I thought I was being so healthy eating the types of foods mentioned above. Since mid November last year, I've morphed comfortably into eating a high fat, very low carb (keto) diet. Any carbs I get are from above the ground vegetables. I've seen my BG doing better, and with no effort I've dropped 16 pounds. That's with at least 70% of my calories coming from fat. 

I too have panic disorder, controlled by medication, and I have definately found that this diet has had a real calming effect on me. I feel really great, and hope you will too.

meyery2k

When first starting Metformin, I had a few run ins with gastric distress. After a couple weeks, that subsided.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.