Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pianistliz

could I have diabetes?

pianistliz

Hi, everyone!  My name is Elisabeth, I'm 25, and I have had significant health issues for 3.5 years.  I'm trying to determine if it is possible I have type 1 diabetes.  My white blood cell count indicates a possible autoimmune condition, and I have been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome.  One of the most noticeable problems has been symptoms of low blood sugar: during an episode, I can experience irritability, aggression, anxiety, blurred vision, EXTREME hunger and thirst, nausea, shakiness, muscle spasms, feeling lightheaded (often to the point of collapsing). Most of the time, I don't lose consciousness, but it has happened at least a couple times. Also, when I got sick I lost weight (just 5-7 pounds.....I didn't have much to lose; I weigh 106), and deal with frequent urination, plus a few months of ridiculous, intense sweating with a changed odor (this symptom has since gone away), and of course, fatigue, along with a bunch of other symptoms related to chronic fatigue syndrome. I went to the doctor about this when I first got sick, and he scoffed at me when I asked if some of my symptoms could be blood sugar related.  He thought it was all in my head.  Then I got a compete check up done by my regular doctor when I was on break from school, and her first thought was diabetes, but they checked my blood sugar right there and then, and although it was a little low, she decided it was reasonable and didn't do further testing.  I went back to an urgent care doctor last year because of a week of constant trouble with feeling lightheaded (I would be fine one moment, then get intensely nauseous and lightheaded and collapse, plus lips felt weird/kind of numb).  I would feel better after eating or drinking juice or soda.  The doctor was baffled.  They took my blood, and my numbers looked normal (however, this was a few hours after the last episode, so I felt fine when they took my blood).  Fasting glucose is normal, yet I still get these episodes.  I'm frustrated because I have so many symptoms of diabetes, but when I go to the doctor, I seem fine.  How hard is it to get a diagnosis, or is there another explanation I should look into?  Thank you!

macksvicky

You could pick up an inexpensive blood glucose meter and test strips from Walmart, I believe it's the Relion brand. Test when you get up in the morning and again 2 hours after the 1st bite of every meal. Most non diabetics do not go over 140 even after a high carb meal. You may also look into Non-diabetic hypoglycemia, if you never have any high blood sugar issues but just low blood sugar problems, that may be something to ask your doctor about.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.