Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetstar

NATURE'S OWN SUGAR FREE BREAD

sweetstar

Has anyone else tried this bread?  I saw it in the store and decided to try it.  Big mistake.

I have eaten it a couple of times and each time my blood sugar spiked 60 to 70 points.

I guess I should not have been surprised but the net carbs for 1 slice was 8gr.  Not bad really.

So I will have to find another solution to my occasional  sandwich craving.

Carol_42

Has anyone else tried this bread?  I saw it in the store and decided to try it.  Big mistake.

I have eaten it a couple of times and each time my blood sugar spiked 60 to 70 points.

I guess I should not have been surprised but the net carbs for 1 slice was 8gr.  Not bad really.

So I will have to find another solution to my occasional  sandwich craving.

Hi ... I haven't tried making this bread recipe yet so I don't know if it taste good.  But it is Keto friendly, so you may want to see if it will work for you.  CB

http://www.healthbasics.co/2016/10/27/best-keto-bread-recipe-1g-net-carbs-per-slice-diet-program/

NoraWI

Don't know what the ingredients were in that bread you tried, but you have to understand that it is not only sugar that raises our blood glucose levels. Anything made with grain (flour) converts instantly to sugar when it enters our bodies.

macksvicky

CB, thanks for the link! Now I'm wanting toast hahaha  I may just make a loaf this weekend. After careful testing, we shall see but Almond flour is usually nice to me if I stick with a slice or 2.

Sweetstar, I used to eat Nature's Own (many moons ago) It is fabulous tasting, but I am one of those that have to count total carbs as my body certainly does, I ignore "net" carbs because that doesn't really tell me the whole story. Not to mention, there are a few less total carbs in their sugared bread then the sugar-free bread they make...go figure :blink:

Carol_42

CB, thanks for the link! Now I'm wanting toast hahaha  I may just make a loaf this weekend. After careful testing, we shall see but Almond flour is usually nice to me if I stick with a slice or 2.

Sweetstar, I used to eat Nature's Own (many moons ago) It is fabulous tasting, but I am one of those that have to count total carbs as my body certainly does, I ignore "net" carbs because that doesn't really tell me the whole story. Not to mention, there are a few less total carbs in their sugared bread then the sugar-free bread they make...go figure :blink:

You're welcome.  I bought the ingredients to make this bread but haven't gotten around to it yet.

macksvicky

You're welcome.  I bought the ingredients to make this bread but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You would be surprised at all the yummy things you can make with almond flour. I use it (on occasion) to make mug cakes, coating for chicken, even my non diabetic hubby loves my fried chicken, he didn't realize he was getting it with coconut oil too hahaha

sweetstar

Thanks, all for the responses.  

I am aware that we must consider all carbs and I am finding more and more that flour/wheat cause me more problems than sugar.

I will check out the recipe and maybe that will solve my problem.

I have been at this a long time and getting really tired of  low carb.

Well, it is what it is and for many reasons I do need to be more diligent.  Just tired.

meyery2k

Thanks, all for the responses.  

I am aware that we must consider all carbs and I am finding more and more that flour/wheat cause me more problems than sugar.

I will check out the recipe and maybe that will solve my problem.

I have been at this a long time and getting really tired of  low carb.

Well, it is what it is and for many reasons I do need to be more diligent.  Just tired.

sweetstar - Diabetes can be weird.  Rice and bread usually spike me.  Cheesecake, on the other hand, does not.  

jwags

WIth bread sugar free means nothing, since it is the flour that usually causes the bg spike. Usually sprouted breads cause a lower bg spike, but no guarantee. I have tried to give up bread but it is difficult. I am a vegetarian who can't eat dairy or meat because of GI problems. That doesn't leave a lot to eat. My doctors are concerned because I can't gain weight.

sweetstar

sweetstar - Diabetes can be weird.  Rice and bread usually spike me.  Cheesecake, on the other hand, does not.  

Yes, I have found the same thing.  So if we go out for dinner and want dessert I opt for cheesecake.

Rice is the worst for me, followed by wheat/bread.

sweetstar

WIth bread sugar free means nothing, since it is the flour that usually causes the bg spike. Usually sprouted breads cause a lower bg spike, but no guarantee. I have tried to give up bread but it is difficult. I am a vegetarian who can't eat dairy or meat because of GI problems. That doesn't leave a lot to eat. My doctors are concerned because I can't gain weight.

I remember you recommending Ezekial bread when I first started reading this forum.  I really didn't care for it and felt it was expensive.

All of these issues that people have today with food we ate when we were younger that gave us no problems.  I am a firm believer that our 

food supply needs to be cleaned up and the preservatives and processing ingredients need to be monitored and/or eliminated.

I can't imagine the restrictions of no meat or dairy.  Can you eat poutlry or fish?  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.