Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

allyphant

Prediabetic/Possible PCOS and Metformin

allyphant

Hi all,

I'm 25, 5'5", about 200 lbs and was just told I'm Prediabetic and probably have PCOS (symptom wise it makes sense).

I just started Metformin ER 500mg two days ago. I've been checking my FBG and post-meals and it's been between 85-92. The reason my Endo started Metformin was that my FBG was 107 a month ago.

I know that it takes a while to build up and all but I've been feeling like I'm low practically all the time. Dizzy, weak, just exhausted. I'm just wondering if this is just a side effect or if something else might be up...luckily I'm not having any nausea or the typical side effects I've been warned about...

Just wanted to see if anyone else has been on Metformin with prediabetes and what your experience has been.

carfree

I'm just starting Metformin too so don't have a lot of advice, but Metformin should not make your BG too low because of the way it works (doesn't cause more insulin to be produced). I do know the body gets used to high blood sugar so when BG returns to normal you can feel low; not sure if that might an issue.

Moonpie

I didn't start on the Met till I was already dx as diabetic. You will be fine. It is good that you have discovered these symptoms early in life. Met can give many of us toilet issues, so lowering the carbs you eat, may help in that regard. Welcome to df.

carfree

I just looked at my med information sheet, and it does mention dizziness and fatigue as side effects. It would seem best to keep testing your blood sugar frequently to see if it's low, but your BG seems good. I just started on the 500mg ER too for pre diabetes and am hoping for few side effects. Wishing you the best with this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.