Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  
Carol_42

Walk, Walk, Walk

Carol_42

Note: Leslie Sansone is a renowned fitness expert.  If you google her name you can verify her qualifications.

Leslie Sansone 1-Mile Happy Walk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njeZ29umqVE

This YouTube video is pretty much the same exercise regimen as Leslie’s No. 1 DVD which is part of her 5-DVD program, Walk at Home-Miracle Miles.  You don’t need to purchase the 5-DVD program, if you don’t want, because you will find many of her excellent lessons for free at YouTube.  I’m not pushing to sell her program.  I just like it so much And I believe there are many people like me who need a safe place to exercise without the threat of being bitten by dogs, slipping on gravel, dodging speeding cars, or falling in ditches along the roadside.  That being said, permit me to share a little background that brought me to walking at home with Leslie Sansone.

I’m a rectal cancer survivor, 3-1/2 years NED, and as anyone who has gone through radiation treatment knows, it does strange things to the body, such as, joint aches, leg cramps, and lower back strain, to name a few.  The diagnosis of cancer, along with that of obesity, sleep apnea, and more recently, pre-diabetes, is what made me decide to do something about my health before it was too late.  Actually the dx for pre-diabetes is what shook me up the most.  I was 180 lbs. and 50 lbs. overweight.  I sat way too much, didn’t exercise, felt tired all the time, and even struggled to bend over to tie my shoe laces because my belly was in the way and my legs would cramp when I tried to cross them.  Graphic, I know, but it’s the naked truth.

I knew I didn’t want to reach full blown diabetes, so I started researching about diabetes on the net and eventually found this forum.  Lucky me, I found a group of people who cared about me in a way I had never experienced.  In the beginning, I asked a bazillion questions and they were always answered by more than one member.  People here literally took me by the hand and educated me on so many facets of managing this disease.  They taught me about the Keto diet and why it is paramount for managing this disease.  They taught me how to use a meter and test my blood glucose several times a day.  They were open, and honest, and candid with me, and always patient and kind.   They gave me hope.   And, honestly, there are not enough words to express how grateful I am for the help I have received.  You know who you are and I applaud you.    

Keto has helped me go from 180 lbs. to 168 lbs. in about six weeks.  And I am happy to report that I am losing inches.  But I didn’t start the walking at home  exercise program until about 9-days ago.  And in that very short time I have noticed my balance is getting better.  And I feel like I’m getting more limber each day I walk at home with Leslie.  She’s a bundle of cuteness and personality and makes walking and exercising enjoyable.  And she throws a little bit of lite aerobics in her program to get the heart rate up.  It’s only a 15-minute walk but it’s very effective.

At first, I was so out-of-shape, I needed to hang on to my dresser to steady myself when I was doing some of the movements.  But now I don’t have to do that anymore.  My balance and my posture have improved.  And so has my attitude because I can look forward to getting into smaller size clothes.  Vane?  Uh, uh.  Feeling good.

The one thing I truly like about this Miracle Miles program is I am never sore the next day.  I never push myself

past my endurance point, yet I'm losing inches around my bust and mid-section.  And when I'm walking in squat position, I can feel a mild strain in my glutes, hips, and sacral spine.  That's good.  I like that.  That shows me it's working.

This is a thread where members can learn from each other by sharing their walking exercise regimen.  It can be walking at home with Leslie’s video or another video program, or walking on a treadmill, or just walking around the block.  But let’s keep it to walking, please.  It’s proven that walking 15 minutes a day, for five days out of the week, can help people lose weight and, thereby, may help lower A1c levels.  I’m going to try to walk every day but there will days that I don’t, like today.  I’m positive if we stay true to a Keto diet and walk at least 5-days a week, our health will greatly improve. 

Sending hope and hugs to everyone,

CB

This is from yesterday, 13 April 2017

FBG.  110 mg/dl

BG.  4-1/2 hours after FBG and directly before exercise,  86 mg/dl

Exercise.  1-mile walk and lite aerobics, 15 minutes

BG.  Directly after exercise,  96 mg/dl

Eat first meal, 30 minutes after exercise.

BG.  1-hour after first meal, 92 mg/dl

Breakfast Macros: 525 Calories.  47 Fats.  3 Carbs.  27 Proteins

Most of these blood glucose numbers are the lowest I've had so far.

Edited by cbokay

Kit

I adore walking personally.  I started doing it years before I was ever diagnosed.

My personal preference is to walk outdoors, preferably after dark (makes summer a pain).  I find it so very relaxing and a nice way to unwind.  I sometimes think I'm at the point now where my distance is only limited by the time I have to spend.

post-55831-0-70263100-1492211407_thumb.jpg

This is one of my favorite areas to walk along.  You can't tell, but my subdivision is to the right and there's another to the right a little further down.  There is no car access to this road from either subdivision, just foot traffic.  Further down the road dead ends and there's a little park with a field for softball.  You see a lot of evening games in the summer.

Going the opposite direction I was facing, the road goes down a significant distance where it meets a main road.  You see a lot of people walking, jogging, or biking along here.  To the left there are a number of trails and bike trails.  I love those, but tend to avoid them in daylight in decent weather.  They are very narrow and people love to bike them.  I haven't explored them all yet, but they seem to be quite extensive for what's really not that large amount of land.

My initial goal after diagnoses was to hit 10,000 steps 5 days a week (M-F).  I don't push a minimum distance on weekends, though always take my evening walks almost always every night.  There have been a few exceptions, but in the last three years I could likely count those times on one hand.

I now treat 10k steps as my minimum target and 13k as my new realistic target.  Honestly I feel like I could easily walk forever, its only time that limits my distance.  My furthest recorded distance was 20,219 steps made last spring.  Wish I could remember what I was doing that day.  :)

Walking has become an obsession for me.  I walk in rain (this is Seattle) sun (I may do a lot of whining), hail, snow, ice, below freezing temps, and thunder and lightning.  Even after I hurt my foot so bad I would go out and do as much as I could tolerate.  There was only 1 day I didn't hit the minimum 10k steps.  yes, I know, totally stupid of me, but as evening comes around I just can't stand not doing it.  Its like a compulsion.  :)

I've never officially timed myself, but I estimate an average somewhere around a 12 minute mile.  That really depends on the terrain such as hills, gravel, dirt trails, steep hills, etc.  The dirt paths and trails do slow me down a bit, but they are very pleasing to walk and do take more effort, so it works out.

Fraser

Walking---

When I retired I sold my car and moved to San Francisco, where I walk pretty much everywhere you know 12000 steps a day etc.

yes I can take a bus, muni or Uber, but I have the time to walk and enjoy discovering the city and the people I meet.

Now back in the late 1940's everyone took an evening walk (yes I do remember )

When I became a single father of two younger kids, I forced them to take a walk around the lake each night, of course they resisted but soon enjoyed the ritual.

Today I meant my very busy adult daughter in downtown SF for lunch and errands. Of course she was on a mission, kept asking me to hurry up. Until she slowed down enough to look at the changing city scape, like a new 60 story building.

Walking to me is great for body and keeps me connected to what is going on in the real world.

I am not sure what I would do without walking.

But then I do like running ! But not very fast.

Carol_42

Wow, Kit, you've got walking down to an art.  And the scenic place where you walk sounds enchanting with no auto traffic and its seasonal sports activities.  And it's so good that you get to experience an environment where others are exercising for health and wellness. 

When I was an undergrad in college about 25 years ago, I relished in using walking paths that were laid out throughout the city a few miles from campus.  I loved walking those paths, in a timely gait, to help me control stressors from studies.  I wish we had good walking areas where I live, but there isn't.  I don't want to walk along side of traffic or in the Walmart parking lot.   And I don't want to walk along the city park areas with all the rocks and gravel and just a plain boring atmosphere.  I know ... walkers walk and runners run ... regardless.  So be it.  I walk at home.  <smile>

When I was in college, I walked a marathon with the community one year.  That was so excellent.  People walked with their children, their pets, family members and friends.  Some pushed babies in sleek strollers while others with disabilities, pedaled in specialty cycles.  It was awesome and I never felt so connected to a community in my life.  I've also helped out with the running marathons, but never ran in one.  One year I was completely awe-struck when an older man came into view, running slowly toward the finish line.  He was 74 years of age.  The joy of watching that man move, and looking at his tired, but happy face, brought warm fuzzies to my heart and tears to my eyes.  It truly humbled me.

I need this walking program to help my skeletal system and everything else in my body.  So far I am having no major problems with my gait, and I want to keep it that way for the rest of my life.  Illness, and treatment for it, can do strange things to the body.  But walking within limitations can improve health.  And that is my goal.  Thanks for your input.  I always appreciate it.

Edited by cbokay

Carol_42

I've got'ta replace this video.  I didn't realize this version was poor quality.  Sorry about that.

Carol_42

Frazer.  Did you ever walk in Golden Gate Park?  My aunt use to ride her Saddlebred horses through that park, and she loved the scenic  beauty.  I was raised across the Bay from San Francisco and I can't imagine walking too many streets in that city, unless you want to go hill-climbing.  <chuckle>  Or  I suppose you may enjoy a walk along the wharf or through China Town.  I haven't been to SF in so many years, I don't even know what is there anymore. 

jwags

I have been exercising fairly vigourously for most of my life. I was shocked I got diabetes with all the exercising I do. I routinely did weight lifting, kick boxing, power yoga, aerobics and walking. I am one who's bgs spike quite high with exercise. I am also a cancer survivor just finishing radiation this week. I was able to hike 5 miles the other day at the Metro Parks. I just wished walking helped my bgs. I tend to walk 20-25 miles most weeks and still have difficulty with bgs some days.

Carol_42

I have been exercising fairly vigourously for most of my life. I was shocked I got diabetes with all the exercising I do. I routinely did weight lifting, kick boxing, power yoga, aerobics and walking. I am one who's bgs spike quite high with exercise. I am also a cancer survivor just finishing radiation this week. I was able to hike 5 miles the other day at the Metro Parks. I just wished walking helped my bgs. I tend to walk 20-25 miles most weeks and still have difficulty with bgs some days.

You just finished with radiation?  How are you feeling?  Gosh, you hiked 5-miles while under treatment for cancer?@!*  Oh my goodness, you are a trooper.  I went to bed.

Do the doctors have any idea why exercise spikes you?  I sure wish I had so educated answers.  Hugs.

Carol_42

FBG. 114 mg/dl

BG.   112 mg/dl, 4-hours after FBG & directly before exercise

Exercise.  25 minutes, 15 minutes 1-mile walk

BG.   103 mg/dl, directly after exercise

Eat.    30 minutes after exercise

BG.   100 mg/dl, 1-hour after first meal

Morning Macros:  633 Calories.  53 Fats.  8 Carbs.  28 Proteins.

My calf muscles felt some strain today while walking and that's good.  Tomorrow I may trying walking 2-miles.

Edited by cbokay

Fraser

Cbokay

I live about three blocks from Golden Gate Park it is my big back yard, I spend time their everyday.

My second choice is the Presidio and the Embarcadero. And I love running hills. LOL

Carol_42

Cbokay

I live about three blocks from Golden Gate Park it is my big back yard, I spend time their everyday.

My second choice is the Presidio and the Embarcadero. And I love running hills. LOL

"Big back yard".  Oh, fantastic!  And you get to enjoy all that beautiful scenery.

meyery2k

cb - Walking is so great.  I live about 1 mile from Hilo bay.  The drive is lined with banyan trees.  It is most interesting to see the mood of the water and sky change daily and sometimes even within minutes if rain squalls come through.

I can change things up and run through town, or run at another park but I really like to go to the bay to run or walk.

There is an avid runner, Conrad, that I see most every day.  He saw me progress from 313 to 200 and go from walking to running.  We once stopped and talked story and he has done marathons and triathalons when he was younger.  

As far as being sore, my friend would comment that soreness is my body saying "thank you" for taking care of it.

As the young people here would say, "You go, girl!"...

Carol_42

Mike.  Walking in that kind of scenic environment would be awe inspiring.  You and Fraser have got it made in the scenic walking department.  And thanks for the perk.  Perks and hugs are my favorite to give and receive.  :)

Edited by cbokay

Carol_42

I just completed the 30-minute, 2-mile walk and I feel invigorated.  Leslie uses resistant bands in this series (for upper body strength and core) but you never stop walking, except to pick up the band or put it down.  She has what she calls "Boosted Walking" which is on the order of Dr. Mercola's, "Peak 8" where you run in place as hard and fast as you can for 30 seconds,  pumping your arms hard and fast, then recovering for 90 seconds (you do this 8 times).  In "Boosted Walking" you jog forward and backwards a few steps for 30 seconds then recover for 30 seconds by walking in place, and then repeat three times.  In Leslie's 2-mile walking program, you are never breathing heavy or perspiring like in "Peak 8".

Today I was looking at step pedometers at Amazon and trying to figure out which one would be good for my needs.  If anybody reading this post has some good suggestions, I'm all ears.  I found one, the RBX Multifunction Digital Watch and Pedometer for about $26.00 out the door.  Is this a good brand?  The reviews are limited.

I also watched several videos at YouTube on the subject of exercising while seated in a chair.  Gosh there are so many good ones to help people who have limited mobility.  And the exercises address several issues that face seniors or obese people or those that are confined to wheel chairs, and so on.  I tried some of the walking and kicking exercises and they are really good.  The health experts also add core and upper body strength training while seated. I'm impressed and hope others will try using these programs to lose weight and possibly lower A1c levels.

I repeat to myself, "I am losing 38 pounds.  I am losing, I am losing".  Perhaps I should tap while I say this.  EFT is also great for improving health.  It's been along time for me but little by little all these great health modalities are coming back to me.  Wow!  it's amazing how poor health can make you forget what you use to enjoy.

Hugs and happy health to All ...

Edited by cbokay

TX_Clint

This is great for you Cb. However, I've been walking since I was 2 and don't really need a video or trainer to make it enjoyable. If I didn't feel safe to go for a walk I think I'd be concentrating on a move. :) Just me. I do love to walk a good bit. I wore my poor doggie out last Saturday. He flopped down in the living room and slept for an hour after our 1 hour walk. 

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll go places!!

Carol_42

This is great for you Cb. However, I've been walking since I was 2 and don't really need a video or trainer to make it enjoyable. If I didn't feel safe to go for a walk I think I'd be concentrating on a move. :) Just me. I do love to walk a good bit. I wore my poor doggie out last Saturday. He flopped down in the living room and slept for an hour after our 1 hour walk. 

Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll go places!!

You walked when you were two?#@!*  Shoot!  When I was 2, I ran around the house wearing holes in the carpet.  :)

Edited by cbokay

meyery2k

CB - I have really come to like my FitBit.

If you have an Android or iPhone there are many apps that use the GPS to measure your walks.  I use the Samsung Health app.  Completely free and minimal ads.

Carol_42

Thanks, Mike. I had a Fitbit and returned it because I couldn't stand it. I'll find what I need.

adiantum

cb, I was thinking of your walking video yesterday whilst waiting for the microwave..

That had be thinking what a great opportunity to step it out whilst waiting.

Its becoming a fun activity marching in time with the rotations.

Thanks for your idea.

Carol_42

cb, I was thinking of your walking video yesterday whilst waiting for the microwave..

That had be thinking what a great opportunity to step it out whilst waiting.

Its becoming a fun activity marching in time with the rotations.

Thanks for your idea.

Praise the Lord, Adiantum.  I'm so glad to hear that somebody here at this forum, besides me, is getting use out of the walking program, even if it's just to kill time.  Leslie's walking program is safe, and fun, and it works.  I do need to upload a better video, however, one that doesn't have interruption in the flow.  I also need to upload a sit and exercise video.  I found so many really great ones at YouTube.  Zumba sounds like fun.

I know people in my personal and/or social arenas that have limited mobility, and some have gone to the Senior Center to access the sit and exercise program.  It's low key but it helps people get the kinks out of their joints.  As you know, we have many diabetics here who are over-weight and have other conditions that may inhibit a more moderate exercise program.  But I feel so positive these people could benefit by just sitting in a chair and going through maybe 10 - 20 minutes of movements that could improve their lifestyle a bit.  I am all for trying, Adiantum.  Trying is my middle name.

Have an excellent weekend.  Hugs.

CB

Edited by cbokay

art

Go to the animal shelter.

Get a dog. Any size will do.

Gets you up and MAKES you walk. Even in the rain.

And the side benefits are amazing.

Art

adiantum

Art, I have 2 dogs but they refuse to go out if it looks like rain.

We walk most mornings but still need to move during the day.

Ive found doing that walk/march during the day is very beneficial.