Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MiaMia

Taking Insulin

MiaMia

For those who take insulin, what do you do when you go to a restaurant?  Do you go into the bathroom, step out to your car, sit at the table, etc. to check glucose and give yourself a shot?  I'm newly diagnosed as Type 1 and take insulin 3 times a day. 

Bar&In

Right at the table. I'm not doing it on the table and nothing coming in contact with table so just do it right at table. Your preference though, at first I would step away but then I realized I don't really care what others think.

dex

I test and give my shots at the table. I decided early on that if the sight of it bothers someone else, that's not really my problem. Also, if another restaurant patron is so bored that they become engrossed in watching me do mundane things like waiting for my meter to beep at me and flash a number, then they should probably reevaluate the company they keep, because that is NOT a fun dinner date. :-)

mystiquarte

I imagine it would unsanitary to have a insulin shot in the bathroom...I test and have insulin shot right at the table, I even had a hypo at the restaurant

NoraWI

Definitely NOT in the bathroom! In the past when on MDI, I even shot right through thin summer clothes. However, a pump makes it very much easier. Everybody fidgets with their cell phones and other noisy gadgets nowadays. Nobody pays any attention to what you are doing anymore.

Uff Da

I usually test my BG in the car before I go into the restaurant. If it is above 100 mg/dl, I often take my insulin in the car, giving myself a low estimate of what I'm likely to eat. (I can always give myself more after the meal when I return to the car.) I feel I can do this safely as my tests have shown that in one hour from bolus, my BG often drops 18-40 points. I can always order a drink before dinner if the wait gets too long and I think my BG will go low. Sometimes I give my injection in the restroom if it is clean and a counter available to set down my diabetes kit. And occasionally I just eat first and go out to the car and inject after the meal.

In the four years I've been on insulin I have never given my injection at the table. Nor will I ever do so in the future. I inject in my abdomen and I am not about the expose it at the table. No, I won't inject through clothing. I bruise easily, and when I inject I have all those bruises from previous injections to avoid. So I want to be able to see what I'm doing.

Hammer

When I go to a restaurant, I'll carry my insulin pen and pen needle tips in a doubled up plastic food store bag.  Once they bring out the food, I'll open the bag, attach the needle tip to the pen in the bag, then, if I'm sitting in a booth, I'll slightly raise my tee shirt on the side of the booth that is facing the wall so that no one will see, and I'll inject myself, then, I'll remove the needle tip, place it in an empty test strip container, and put everything back in the plastic bag.  When I go to a restaurant, I prefer to sit in a booth, since that gives me one side that is out of view of the other people in the restaurant.

Great Dan

I also do it right at the table. It's easier than stepping out and going to the bathroom. And I don't want to take my shots in the bathroom.

MiaMia

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. They have been very helpful.  I was intimidated to take glucose read and a shot at the table (as I don't want to make others feel uncomfortable), but I think it will be so much easier (and definitely cleaner) to do so, discreetly, at the table (in the arm, though. I'll save the stomach injections for home). I will make sure to take the blood read under the table.  Also, as one person said, most people are engrossed in their phones and phone noises, so nobody should be paying attention to me. 

art

In the car: done that

At the table underneath it: done that

In the men's room: done that

Once went into the men's room and found 3 other guys all taking insulin. Looked like a drug users convention.

Art

Ailsa

In the old days we had to draw up the insulin into a syringe and that was definitely a no go in public. However I did do that on a plane a couple of times & guess what . No one noticed. With a pen, people don't know what it is for starters & it only takes a second. You can just discretely lift up your top just enough to get it done. The table blocks peoples view & friends will be ok with it.

Dresses are a problem, but I would probably use my arm or thigh in that case or go to the loo.

Best not to inject beforehand in the car as there can be hold ups & then you will go hypo. I have had that experience.

samtheman4a

For those who take insulin, what do you do when you go to a restaurant?  Do you go into the bathroom, step out to your car, sit at the table, etc. to check glucose and give yourself a shot?  I'm newly diagnosed as Type 1 and take insulin 3 times a day. 

I will always go to a bathroom in private, but I have family that does it in public right at the table- can be rather awkward. 

Moreno

I would usually do it in the car after I eat, or at the table as I do not know exactly how many carbs I would eat before I ate.

funkynassau

I have t2 so things are different for me, I use insulin at bedtime.  However, if I had t1 and needed to inject at meal time I'd do  it at the table.  I have a t1 friend who, years ago, told me he didnt care if others had a problem with him doing it at the table, he's as discreet as possible, doesnt make a big deal out of it, he just does it into his thigh.  I would never do it in an unsanitary bathroom.  Besides, it's not an illegal drug that needs to be hidden from the sight of the delicate snowflakes who walk among us.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.