Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moonpie

Zoodles, cooked or raw??

Moonpie

We just sliced up a yellow squash. I have some jar artichoke pesto I want to toss them in for dinner. Do you cook your zoodles? And, if so, how? I was thinking about blanching them for a very short time. When we had them before I was doing a stirfry, so they just got added into the wok.

Kit

I'm not fond of raw zoodles. I would personally quickly stir fry them for a couple minutes. Blanching and streaming will just make them soggy.

dowling gram

I second stirfry more to dry them out than anything. Zucchini has a lot of moisture and blanching will just add more moisture. Using them raw will make your dish soggy. Stirfry is the way to go

Kit

If personally use a little butter, olive oil, or oil that would complement the pesto

I would guess that would be olive oil.

It sounds like it should be good. Send me some? :)

Moonpie

Thanks ladies, of course I will send you some, Kit, if you can hobble to the table lol I also have some Italian sausage to have with it.

adiantum

Hijacking your thread Moon...

about to make celery soup.

I usually discard the leaves but  wondering why not add them this time or would they make the soup bitter.

I just had 5 bunches delivered.. I cant resist a bargain and  they were only $1 ea.

I thought I'd cook them all up today. Some as celery soup.

Some as vegetable soup

& some as vegetable stock I'll freeze for a later day

adiantum

It seems leaves are OK to add.. I just found 2 recipes that suggest leaving the leaves .

This one was interesting .. it has a can of coconut milk. Ive never used cocnut milkin soups.

......'

'' 2 Knorr chicken stock/bouillion cubes made up with 1.5 pints water
1 large pack of celery, chopped finely. All of it, including the leaves.
2 fat cloves garlic, chopped
4 spring onions/scallion, also chopped
1 small can coconut milk or you could use heavy cream I think.
Ghee, butter or olive oil'"

meyery2k

Coconut milk is great in soups.  I use it often.  Nice flavor and thickens the soup a little too.  Really makes a nice pairing with curry powder.

Moonpie

I always use the celery leaves, I think they have great flavor. If some of the outside ribs are looking too dirty or tattered, I may toss them, but never the leaves. I also love coconut milk & curry. I also use the entire green  onion. All the white & all the green.

Kit

I like the celery leaves as well. I've also read the inner leaves can be a good sub for cilantro for those of us who think it tastes like liquid lemon Joy dish soap. Actually the first time I tried it I didn't say anything because I thought the host hadn't properly rinsed the dishes.

Kit

Hey Moon pie, how did the zoodles turn out with the pesto? I was thinking of trying something similar myself a few months ago and then never did.

adiantum

Dont we make wonderful guests when you didnt speak up about the soapy taste of that meal.

I first realised a friend had the beginnings of dementia when she served 'orange jellied rice' for dessert.

I said nothing when I had a mouth full of uncooked rice.

I like the celery leaves as well. I've also read the inner leaves can be a good sub for cilantro for those of us who think it tastes like liquid lemon Joy dish soap. Actually the first time I tried it I didn't say anything because I thought the host hadn't properly rinsed the dishes.

Moonpie

Kit, it was FAB!! I will make it again, soon, as I only  used half the jar of sauce. According to the nutrition label, the entire jar had 14 carbs, but I will get 4 servings out of it ( 2 meals 2 people) so that is Ok, for me. I was also thinking of making a side dish of artichokes feta & spinach, just stir fry them all, I like the tang of feta.

I love cilantro!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.