Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scipath92

SSRi antidepressants

Scipath92

My psychiatrist suggested that I should start taking SSRI class of anti depressants, and has prescribed to me Paroxetine. Does anyone have any experience with this drug or SSRIs in general? Will they interfere with blood sugar in any way? My doc said it may cause changes in metabolism, but not directly in blood sugar. However I read case reports online of the drug causing hypos in diabetics and healthy adults. Any opinion or personal experience based advice appreciated.

I am a type 1, btw.

Thanks.

Kit

I don't have any experience with blood sugar readings, but my husband was on Paxil (name brand) and it was nasty. Side affects like crazy, he'd have withdrawal symptoms multiple times a day while taking the med (look up brain zaps), slept all of the time, etc. I had a friend who was put on it as well who had similar problems.

I husband finally stopped it because he realized he had (his words) wandered in a landscape of gray for years. Nothing interested him, or excited him, etc. Added with the lost sex drive side affect common with SSRIs, and I basically lived with a zombie for about 4 years .

There are times when SSRIs may be necessary, but that is not one I would recommend.

Scipath92

Sorry, no personal experience to share. But I googled "SSRI class of anti depressants and blood sugars" and got this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=SSRI+class+of+anti+depressants+and+blood+sugars&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I believe the consensus is that those drugs do affect blood sugars.

Thanks. Most of the studies were conducted on type 2 diabetics or healthy adults. I'm hoping for some type 1s with experience in this matter.

Scipath92

I don't have any experience with blood sugar readings, but my husband was on Paxil (name brand) and it was nasty. Side affects like crazy, he'd have withdrawal symptoms multiple times a day while taking the med (look up brain zaps), slept all of the time, etc. I had a friend who was put on it as well who had similar problems.

I husband finally stopped it because he realized he had (his words) wandered in a landscape of gray for years. Nothing interested him, or excited him, etc. Added with the lost sex drive side affect common with SSRIs, and I basically lived with a zombie for about 4 years .

There are times when SSRIs may be necessary, but that is not one I would recommend.

Thanks for the info. Did they cause any permanent problems for your husband? Anything that persisted even after quitting them? Any benefits at all?

I have seen many such horror stories about ssri online. However I have also read many success stories. I have been struggling with depression and panic for a long time and thought I could deal with it myself, but I just couldn't. I thought if there is something that has the slightest chance of working, I would at least try it out. If they aren't working for me, I'll quit them.

I was hoping someone with any experience with ssri would give me a heads up about how they affected blood sugars specifically.

Kit

It took my husband a couple of years after getting off paxil to return back to normal. He's on a different set of meds right now. His issue wasn't really depression but anxiety and panic attacks.

I was on SSRIs myself for a few years. Effexor did well but it's younger sibling Pristiq worked wonderful and I had no issues coming off of it once I was ready. It was before I was diagnosed diabetic though so no feedback there.

Actually i did have 1 big side effect and that was hot flashes.

I'm not anti SSRIs. They are very helpful when needed, but I can sell understand concern about side effects.

Scipath92

It took my husband a couple of years after getting off paxil to return back to normal. He's on a different set of meds right now. His issue wasn't really depression but anxiety and panic attacks.

I was on SSRIs myself for a few years. Effexor did well but it's younger sibling Pristiq worked wonderful and I had no issues coming off of it once I was ready. It was before I was diagnosed diabetic though so no feedback there.

Actually i did have 1 big side effect and that was hot flashes.

I'm not anti SSRIs. They are very helpful when needed, but I can sell understand concern about side effects.

Thanks a lot. If I may ask one more question, do you feel that they helped you in the long run?

Kit

Yes.  A lot of really bad things were happening at the time and they were mostly out of my control.  I was watching my father die, my husband was going through his Paxil fun, we were both out of work and struggling to find new jobs, unemployment was running out.  I couldn't even get an interview at the local grocery store because I was too qualified and would leave as soon as something better came along. 

I got into a downward trend that got worse and worse til I was no longer really able to function.  I didn't want to leave my house, go outside, check the mail, answer the phone, clean house, mow the lawn, pay bills, get groceries, and 1001 other things you need to do to keep everything from falling apart.

Pristiq was a huge help.  It didn't solve my problems, it didn't make me a happy go lucky person, my Dad still died, I still grieved.  But I could function.  I could do the chores I needed to do, see that my husband was struggling and push the doctor to help, and similar.

As things in my life started coming back together again, I no longer needed the help and was able to get off.  I've never regretted taking it.  In fact I kick myself for refusing to get help earlier.  I saw it as a mix of a personal weakness and, well, as much as was going on, there were so many more people out there way worse off than myself.  What right did I have to be weak.

Now I wasn't just on the medication.  I was also seeing a psychiatrist at the time.  He helped find the right med for my needs and helped to guide me out of the emotional and mental hole I had fallen into, etc.  Life was full of can'ts instead of trying to find ways to make things work.

Now my husband is different.  Anxiety, depression, and panic disorders run in his family.  Grandmother, father, aunts, siblings, cousins, etc.  He realizes that this is something he will have to deal with for the rest of his life.  And again, the meds do not make you a happy person.  They aren't supposed to.  But they help to allow you to function, and that is very important no matter the cause of the issue be it primarily external like mine, or internal like my husband's.

Scipath92

In fact I kick myself for refusing to get help earlier.  I saw it as a mix of a personal weakness and, well, as much as was going on, there were so many more people out there way worse off than myself.  What right did I have to be weak.

That pretty much sums up why I refused to get help for a long time. 

And again, the meds do not make you a happy person.  They aren't supposed to.  But they help to allow you to function, and that is very important no matter the cause of the issue be it primarily external like mine, or internal like my husband's.

To function is all I desire at this point. Thanks a lot for the reply. Now I haven't decided yet whether I'll take them or not. I will have a discussion with my family and also  see if anyone else in this forum has anything to say in the blood sugar effect front.

Kit

This is entirely a guess on my part, but if there is any affect, I suspect its something you will be able to adjust to if you are a T1.  That assumes, of course, that the affect is consistent.

Hammer

I'm not a type 1, I'm a type 2 and I have been taking SSRI's for years now.  I take citalopram, which is the generic for Celexa.  I was put on it because I started having anxiety problems, which surprised me because nothing bothers me....I never get excited about anything, that's just the way I am, so for me to have anxiety issues seemed weird.  The thing is, when you are having depression and/or anxiety issues, it's not your fault, those issues are due to a chemical imbalance in your brain.  Taking an SSRI will help to correct that imbalance.

What I've found with taking citalopram, is that, those anxiety issues that I was experiencing didn't go away, instead, I could still feel them, but it was as if they were moved to a far corner of my brain.  I knew they were there, but they were so weak that they didn't bother me.  Yes, there was one side effect that kept me from taking citalopram all of the time, and that was that it caused excessive sweating.  I would sweat so much that people thought I was sick.  I'd go to the food store at 3 o'clock in the morning to avoid the summer heat, but even walking very slowly through the air conditioned food store, by the time I got to the cashier, I was sweating so much that it looked as if I was sprayed with a fire hose.  I had sweat dripping off of my arms onto the conveyor belt, sweat was dripping off of my face....I kept some folded up paper towels in my back pocket to wipe my face off.  Because of that, I'd stop taking citalopram, then when I felt the anxiety begin to get stronger, I'd go back on it.  The last time I went back on, the excessive sweating didn't return.  I have been taking citalopram every day now for over 5 years, and as long as the sweating doesn't return, I will keep taking it.  Just keep in mind that you can't just abruptly stop taking it, you need to taper off of it.  If you stop taking it abruptly, you will get these weird, uncomfortable sensations.  Tapering off isn't difficult, you just cut the pill in half and take half a pill a day for a few days, then you cut the half pill in half so that you have a quarter of a pill.  You take the quarter of a pill for a few days, then you take a quarter of a pill every other day for a few days.  You can then try to stop taking it altogether, but if you feel those weird sensations, just take another quarter of a pill.

I have read that it can affect your sex life, but I don't have a sex life, so I can't really comment on that side effect. :D

Oh, and citalopram is inexpensive.  I take the 20mg tablet once a day, and a 30 day supply of it without insurance costs about $7, depending on which pharmacy you use.

I forgot to add...it doesn't have any effect on my BG levels.

William V

I've had to up my basal for the first few months. It also increased insulin resistance. Now with it settled down my basal and resistance is similar to the readings I had prior to ssri.

mystiquarte

Although I haven't had any direct experience taking Paroxetine, you might be able to find reviews from others taking that antidepressant on goggle...
I do take lexopro and I haven't noticed any real changes to my bg levels outside of the normal up's-and-downs living with this disease...my antidepressants don't have a sugar coating on them, I didn't have to ask it just came that way so it might be worth checking yours to see if there is sugar in it's coating which very well could spike you when you take it.  

I have an eating disorder and find it difficult to take meds that cause you to gain weight, I won't take them they cause me great distress.  Lexapro is a new gen of antidepressants that don't cause weight gain or any of the other side effects on older type antidepressants.  I haven't had any problems with it at all since I've being taking it around 24 months now.  I haven't heard of any meds that directly cause hypo's and I doubt such a med would be approved by the Australian Govt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.