Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ran23

Italian restaurant

ran23

I went for the meatball, Italian sausage and pasta plate. giant meatballs, I cut them in 8's.  simple chunky tomato sauce. I ate very little pasta or bread, I thought.  30 minutes later back home I was 155. highest for me.   hidden sugars?   maybe the Italian white bread? 

Kit

Meatballs usually contain bread or bread crumbs to keep them mosti and make them soft. Plus it's makes them much less expensive to make.

funkynassau

The pasta is likely the main culprit.  Pasta is deadly for me, as are carbs of any sort.  Same for most people.  I agree there was likely filler in the meatballs.

Italian restaurants used to be my fave place to go but I avoid them like the plague now.  

samuraiguy

Added sugars and fillers (usually bread crumbs) in the meatballs probably along with any bread and pasta. I love Italian food and make my own meatballs and marinara using no sugar added sauce or make my own homemade from scratch.

ran23

It was the second choice when looking for restaurants. Menu on the chalkboard,  went with chicken yellow curry over rice.  Actually a rice bowl and chopsticks, I was happy .Visiting, it was 3 hours later I tested--155.  will see how fast I can bring that down.   went walking in 78 weather.  Avocado next. 

Kit

Remember fat doesn't make the carbs you ate go away. Your best option is to get better at avoiding the carbs in the first place.

For example, I've been dragged to a Thai place a couple of times. Choose a meal that sounded like it didn't have a sweet sauce and requested they not give me any noodles or rice. I was still a little higher than I liked, but much better than if I had eaten the rice.

Or Mexican. Fajitas, no rice, tortillas, or beans. Plenty of onions, peppers, lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole. Topped with a little hot sauce and enjoy.

Dave_KC

I wound up with a small slice of Papa John's pepperoni pizza at school, only had the pizza, not the crust, and skipped the cookie & fruit snacks (it was at my child's school).  

Quickly grabbed a few slices of ham and three sticks of celery at home.  Went to kids piano lessons, came back and tested...  and it was 85.

halia

I think it's the pasta since its carbo. I remember when I had a gestational diabetes, my OB included it on the food that I have to avoid along with rice. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.