Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oblivious

What does "Trumpcare" mean to you?

oblivious

As an outsider looking in, I probably have a biased view on what`s going on in the US these days.

I basically look at Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert, Seth Myers or John Stewart, and I know they are comedians but there seems to be some truth in what they report. They are not my only source of news, but they can affect how I think about Trump and the US.

I love New York and see myself trying to move there some time in the future, but Trump related news gets me worried, specially as a diabetic.

So what do the people here that is from the US think of Trump and his newly passed healthcare?

youtu.be/frglD9wF6J0

TX_Clint

First there is no Trumpcare or new healthcare law as of yet and what it might be comprised of if it is created no one knows at this time. I can see too many issues with getting ones news from comedians. The opinion of any comedian is only as good as the next laugh. Beyond a laugh anything they say is meaningless.

If you can afford to move to New York, and do, health insurance should be quite affordable to you whether you have diabetes or not. 

oblivious

Ok, I don`t know how the bills and laws are put in motion in the US, appreciate the clarification.

Comedians can primarily focus on entertainment, but it does not mean they do not have good points though.

In Norway we don`t have to pay for health insurance.. we just pay a maximum of 200$ worth of medical expenses each year, and if you have a prescription everything over those 200$ is free. So I am allready concerned that paying for medical supplies will be a lot more expensive if we move to New York, but I guess I will have to wait and see what comes out of this healthcare bill that Trump is trying to pass.

JohnSchroeder

Very little at this point.  Like Clint said, its not law yet.  And really its the Congress (and maybe soon to be Senate) that have drafted and are trying to pass the legislation.... so Trumpcare perhaps isn't an accurate description.

Right now health insurance premiums are rising at about 25% year over year due to the affordable care act..  That is not sustainable and insurance companies are pulling out of markets and we have seen a huge reduction in the number of insurance companies in business in the United States.

I also wouldn't pay attention to comedians.  They are out for laughs, not accuracy.  What they tell you may or may not be accurate, but you can also lie by omission.  All the major networks right now absolutely HATE Trump.  Take anything they say with healthy dose of skepticism.

Dave_KC

It's not law yet, and none of those guys are reliable news sources, much less balanced.  Let's wait and find out what's really going on before passing judgement based on the opinions of a few comedians out for laughs.  

Fraser

I find it is interesting that the review I hear the most is that' " it not a law yet, lets wait to see what is finally past before we comment"

I just expected that after all these years of bellyaching, the House should at least be able pass a bill that would be worthy to comment.

I am not impressed.

JohnSchroeder

I find it is interesting that the review I hear the most is that' " it not a law yet, lets wait to see what is finally past before we comment"

I just expected that after all these years of bellyaching, the House should at least be able pass a bill that would be worthy to comment.

I am not impressed.

The point is that the details of the bill are still in flux.  The Senate can edit and change the existing bill before calling a voting on it.

Fraser

The point is the house passed a bill not knowing how much it cost, how many people will be covered

And no clue how to make high risk pools survive and also the state may opt out of provisions

I lived in Washington DC for 40 years, I have known many members of congress. I know how I bill should be. This is not it.

It is just I promised I pass a repeal, we will figure out the rest later.

I agree with the senators I have heard speak, that they need to start all over.

TX_Clint

The point is the house passed a bill not knowing how much it cost, how many people will be covered

And no clue how to make high risk pools survive and also the state may opt out of provisions

I lived in Washington DC for 40 years, I have known many members of congress. I know how I bill should be. This is not it.

It is just I promised I pass a repeal, we will figure out the rest later.

I agree with the senators I have heard speak, that they need to start all over.

Sounds just like 2010? I actually applaud them for trying to create a law that the majority of congress will accept including Democrats. Hopefully we will get a law that will work for those it is actually designed for. Mentioning designed for. The first item in a new health care law should be that the entire Federal Government, everyone up to and including the President, must use the system. It should also replace the VA. I think that only then will we get a health care system that's worth spit.

jwags

This bill was passed by the House of Representatives. It now goes to the Senate. They will rip the bill apart and create and pass a new bill. Then the bill has to go back to a Conference Committe to be rewritten. Then that bill has to go back to the House to be passed and then the Senate. At that point it goes to the president to be signed or vetoed. So there are many steps before we see a new bill. The present ACA is not working and will implode at some point. Hopefully the new bill will give you get people cheaper options, so we don't need to subsidize everyone and have huge deductibles.

JohnSchroeder

I was just listening to the Dennis Prager show for a short while when going out to get lunch.  They brought up an excellent point.  If having health insurance would no longer be mandatory and if insurance companies are forced to sell insurance to people with pre-existing conditions at the same price... why would anyone buy health insurance before getting sick?  It is just prepaid healthcare at that point.  What you are buying is no longer insurance.  Given costs, I'd almost argue what we buy now and call insurance, is essentially prepaid healthcare already.

OneEye

"Australia has better healthcare than we do!" Donald Trump said that to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull the other day.

I would have smiled had Turnball replied, "Would you like me to FAX you a copy to look over?"

DanG

TrumpCare is NOT - at least, not yet.  It will most definitely mean more $$ for companies that already have lotsa $$, viz. insco schemes.  The actuarial objective of insco is to make $$.  After all, corporations are not in the biz of giving $$ away.  Corporations are in the biz of providing goods and services for a fee, by definition.

Outside of these finance realities of business (insurance), it is interesting to witness a seeming unified interest regarding Trumpcare.  A presidential quote from a while back might be appropriate to contemplate? - "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."  Our particular interest as readers here at DF (DiabetesForums) seems to have shifted to "what's in it for me?" rather than something on the order of "what can be done?"  What can be done for high risk persons?  We can ask for and expect, or we can pull together and figure things out, i.e. necessity is the mother of invention.  We CAN pull together and figure things out especially here at DF.  Through the years here at DF many others here have taught me much and additionally have given me much to alleviate costs - that's what I'm talking about.  Another vernacular phrase is: "united we stand, divided we fall."  So perhaps instead of the innuendo of political discontent about ACA or TrumpCare we can assist each other and invent says to work together.

Radio interview yesterday (Dennis Prager should pick up on this?) about these articles at propublica seem relevant:

America's Other Drug Problem "Every year nursing homes nationwide flush, burn or throw out tons of valuable prescription drugs. Iowa collects them and gives them to needy patients for free. Most other states don’t."

What Hospitals Waste "The nation’s health care tab is sky-high. We’re tracking down the reasons. First stop: A look at all the perfectly good stuff hospitals throw away."

Shall we have a DF forum about excess stuff in our possession that might be useful to someone else?

funkynassau

I'm just glad I am Canadian and dont have to worry about what Trump is going to do.  That said, I do feel bad for those in the US who have little to no health care and have to pay a fortune for what they do have.  It's a bizarre system there.

adiantum

Ours is an aging society... let them touch our pensions & healthcare & they get voted out.

"Australia has better healthcare than we do!" Donald Trump said that to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull the other day.

I would have smiled had Turnball replied, "Would you like me to FAX you a copy to look over?"

Orlando

................elected by the people, for the people. True ,he was elected by the people under the prevailing system used to declare the winner , the second condition does not seem to be reflected by the current heath care proposals. IMHO a health care system should ensure good and affordable treatment for everybody, regardless of which party is in power. 

NoraWI

Unfortunately, they are still trying to please the insurance companies instead of the people. No mention of a universal health care plan for us. The dilemma is that universal health care would put the insurance companies out of business. Then who would fund the elections? :(  We are all living in aging societies. Expand Medicare to all. And no more special health care programs for government employees. If it is good for the general population, it should be good enough for them too.

Moonpie

OP, if you are going to immigrate from Norway to NY, then your job would likely have health insurance??? Immigration is very hard these days.

Hammer

Like I have said before, we need to have Medicare for all.  If everyone had Medicare, that wouldn't put the insurance companies out of business.  Medicare only covers 80%, so the insurance companies could offer policies to cover the other 20%.  We have a retirement plan called Social Security....has that eliminated pensions, 401K's, IRA's, etc.?  No, because, while Social Security provides you with a "pension", that so called "pension" might not be enough for some people to live on, so they need to have additional resources to supplement their retirement income.  The same would happen with Medicare for all.  Why let the insurance companies dictate medical policy here in the states?  If the government offered Medicare for all, then the insurance companies would have no choice but to offer more competitive rates to try and secure those people who wanted that extra 20%  of coverage.

While I am not a fan of higher taxes, and offering Medicare for all would mean an increase in taxes, the bottom line is that the increase in Medicare taxes, would be offset by what people are now paying in insurance premiums.  We don't need Obamacare or Trumpcare, we need universal health coverage, plain and simple.  If other countries can do this, then why can't the richest country in the world do this?

georgepds

So.. fyi.. in th U S

If you buy in the open market.. expect to pay from $400 to$800 per month.. with large deductibles and coinsurance (look it up, really)

As the good witch said

.you're not in Norway any more

oblivious

I`m curious what you guys think about Bernie Sanders?
From what I have seen from his speeches, news (not comedians) and the little I read from his campaign his line of thinking is more like how things are governed in Norway.
For us Trump seemed radical and almost like a joke (compared to our own politics), but I have heard Sanders seems more radical than Trump, atleast for some people in US?

I use the term radical very loosely, just to point out how far in another direction it is compared to current governing politicians, not necessarily as a negative or positive marker.

OP, if you are going to immigrate from Norway to NY, then your job would likely have health insurance??? Immigration is very hard these days.

I think so. It is probably a few years down the line, so I have no idea how it will pan out at the moment.

If I could get a position through my current employer it would be best, if not I will have to prove my worth to the US on the open market.

i.e. what will US benefit from having me as a citizen.

stevenal

Trumpcare? More like Trumpdontcare. Tax reduction bill for the wealthy disguised as health care.

don1942

Trumpcare? More like Trumpdontcare. Tax reduction bill for the wealthy disguised as health care.

That's my opinion as well

"I'm just a bill, sitting up on the hill...." The Senate still needs to pass their version, which, hopefully, they will read before taking a vote. Then a joint committee needs to compromise on the differences

As a diabetic, I can't afford to replace my current coverage if the Trump version prevails.

notme

I find it curious that people from out of our country feel it is ok to bash the US Presidents, no matter who the President is at the moment. Imagine if we verbally attacked your country or President or Prime Minister and told you exactly how you should do things.

I am always amazed that people feel they have the right to explain to us how we should run our country and how glad they are they live elsewhere. I wonder why so many people immigrate to this terrible country.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.