Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave_KC

Abuelo's

Dave_KC

My wife and I had dinner at a Mexican place called Abuelo's.  I liked it pre-diagnosis, but with Mexican places, I just assume there's no hope.  Well, I was wrong.  

I did a Google search for "Abuelo's low carb" and discovered they have fajitas that instead of tortillas they can be replaced with leaves of romaine lettuce.  Plus, I could choose mixed veggies and an anaheim pepper stuffed with mozarella choose and tomato and onion chunks.  

It was delicious and wonderful to have.  My wife posted about it on Facebook and got into quite a discussion with a college friend of hers recently diagnosed, and I got called the "poster child" by my doctor's wife!  

I think there may be other options that work there too, but it worked for me last night.  

Fraser

Congradulations on learning to plan ahead, make a good choice .and check out the menu before you leave home.

Avoids the dumb choices made in a hurry.

Now after 9 years of this my friends have learned to email me (and the rest of the party) the link to the reasturants to see if it works for everyone.

In San Francisco most of the resturants are locally owned. (Permits for chain restaurants are limited)

So it is easy to talk with the owners. And make reasonable request.

I have Relatives in Ohio which seems to be mostly chain restaurants, they try to help but it seems they are not as flexible.

So keep on asking, the owners will listen.

We also talked about reasturants that do not allow substitutions.

Most state this on their site, and tend to have smaller kitchens,.

So study them and choose the best option, just don't eat that bake potatoe !

funkynassau

I love anything to eat that's Mexican.  We go there every winter and my blood sugar is every bit as happy there as I am.  I eat much more healthily there than anywhere else.  I also think because we walk a lot, I wear off anything that may not be so good for me.  Most restaurants try to accommodate any eating issues people have and the taco and tamale carts serve great food that is oh so healthy.  

TX_Clint

We have a Grandpa's (Abeulo's) just a few miles north of us. I've eaten there once and it didn't hit me as good enough to make my list. Of course, living in Texas there's a lot of competition in Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants. I probably have about 2 dozen or more Tex-Mex restaurants within 10 miles of me. Even one just down stairs which is one of the best and certainly on my list of places to eat. 

I also am a picky dinner. If the restaurant will not modify or substitute from their menu then I won't be back.

The wife and I just had a great steak dinner Saturday night at 'Love and War in Texas'. Really, really great food and they were willing to mix, match or change the fare to anything they make. Best steak I've had in years. If you are ever down this way it's worth the price.

I've also found that my local Wendy's will gladly make a Baconator with no bun or catsup in a clear plastic container. All you gotta do is ask.

I sometimes pickup dinner at PeiWei also. They will make any dish without rice or noodles on request. Of course you must be careful about the sauce used. I've found that the Chicken Pad Thai sans noodles is great over steamed zoodles.

Dave_KC

I've found Panda Express has an option to put anything over veggies.  But you've gotta be careful on the sauce, that's for sure.  A couple of these work, but it gets to be a bit overwhelming in the amounts of vegetables.  

Fraser

Dave

You will get to learn to love that mound of veggies!

Lots of good food and minimal spike.

Also pick reasturants you can walk to. Combines exercise and dinner. ; - )

LaRue

Clint, I like Pei Wei's as well, but pretty much had given up on it. 

An FYI to everyone, you can buy discount gift cards for Pei Wei/PF Chang (same owner) for quite a discount on numerous websites that sell gift cards people didn't want. I have used these websites for years, and they are totally legit, and can save a lot of money. I just looked at one site I use a lot, Gift Card Zen. They are sold out at the moment, but their current discount on Pei Wei is 18%.

2 things: you have to keep checking back to see availability, and the % can change. Sometimes you're buying a physical card, other times you can print it right out, or show the store the code on your phone.

Other thing, These sites also sell cards for drug stores, and if you're on a lot of meds, you can save a lot. Especially if like my husband you fall into the donut hole each year.

Dave_KC

Also pick reasturants you can walk to. Combines exercise and dinner. ; - )

That's why I do Jimmy Johns for lunch...  about 3500 steps, plus an unwich has very low carb count!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.