Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dharmaraj

Hello all...

dharmaraj

I'm very afraid. Sorry to start the statement like this, I'm 22 years old and I did a sugar test, the results are the below.

Blood Sugar(FASTING) - 98mg/dl

Blood Sugar (PP) - 159mg/dl.

Am I pre-diabetic or should I consider more test to confirm.

Dave_KC

Hi:

98 for fasting is not diabetic, but it's pretty high for a person of 22, but it's not diabetic, and usually fasting blood glucose is pre-diabetic from 100 to 125.  Above 125 is considered diabetic.  I'm not sure what PP is, is that after meals?  If so, that again is a pretty high number. 

Probably the better long term answer about where things are is your A1c number, as that is a three month indicator of your blood sugars, where blood glucose numbers are only a snapshot of right now.

Dave_KC

I would add, have you talked to a doctor?  Your numbers may be such that watching your diet and exercise might bring your numbers back in control, but communicating with a doctor regarding these issues would be a wise choice now.

dharmaraj

Ya PP is after meal. Is it curable or it can only be controlled?. I'm really afraid of this, I'm jus 22 long way to go.

Dave_KC

The PP number after a meal is pretty high, so that is a bit concerning, as for a non-diabetic, it shouldn't hit that high.  

Two things I'd suggest, check with a doctor for an A1c test.  It should be between 4 and 6 for a non-diabetic, 6.0 to 6.5 is pre-diabetic.  Anything above that is diabetic.  

It is curable?  At this point, most of the medical profession would say no, although there are some reports out there of limited success in reversing diabetes.  Pre-diabetes can be reversed by diet and exercise.  I'd strongly recommend a low carb diet to bring that under control.  I am diabetic, and am going low carb, and have shaved my numbers down dramatically.  (hint, look at my tag on the bottom of my post).  Given time and effort you can bring those numbers down, possibly preventing from going diabetic or at least delaying it dramatically.  But taking action now is wise.  

macksvicky

Welcome to the forums, don't panic, even if you do have diabetes it's not a death sentence. Most of us here have had diabetes for many years and are doing very well. At this time there is no cure BUT it can be managed with diet, exercise and perhaps medication.

I agree with Dave, you really need to see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis if you even have diabetes and which type. So don't get yourself worked up, see a doctor and if you do have diabetes, come back and post any and all questions you may have...there is a ton of good information and helpful people here to help you.

NoraWI

Do not be afraid. Go see a doctor. If it is diabetes, then diabetes can be controlled. There may also be other issues as we don't know your health history nor your physical condition. At 22 years of age, if you are diabetic, it is most probable that you are a T1, with the autoimmune diabetes. Ask the doctor to run a GAD65 antibody test. There are several other antibody tests also. And, of course, do an A1c test that shows your average blood glucose levels for the last 3 months.

Dave_KC

Good point by everyone, don't be afraid, and don't let fear paralyze you.  This is a manageable situation, no matter what, between diet, exercise and meds.  Hope that was clear from me.  

DanG

Don't be afraid - fear is not productive.

Just a point of experience meant to comfort you.

I was 22 when my blood sugar was off-the-charts at the emergency room.  So, you are not as bad off as I was.  Don't go away yet... that ER visit was 43 years ago but I'm still here, still doing insulin, all digits are here, family is all adult and no inherited diabetes.  So that should encourage you?  You won't be dead tomorrow or next year, and you can pretty much DIY blood sugar management if you need to.  Insurance assisted me for many years but not today, i.e. you can do this without doctor... carefully.

While all of us reading DF (DiabetesForums) can help, none of us will say anything except for visit the doctor, just becuz... that is the nature of our litigious kulture.  Realize, however, that the majority of doctors know very little about diabetes and they merely read the AmericanDiabetesAssociation verbatim regarding diet, which is fundamentally contradictory to experience.  Keep your ear to the pavement, listen / learn - we will not stop talking and chatting.

meyery2k

Disorders like high BP and diabetes are better determined through the observation of trends.  A one time reading should not be used to extrapolate whether or not you are diabetic.  Glucose values vary throughout the day and change rather quickly as needed.

When I last went for a visit I was freaked because my BP was 158/80.  The doctor said not to worry about it.  We can't just take one off reading.  When we looked at the overall measurement from past visits, this was likely just an anomaly.  He suggested I use the machines at the drug store.  Sure enough, I measured this morning and was a much better 126/80.

The advice to visit a doctor is sound.  If you are diabetic, your doctor will be invaluable in helping you with treatment.

Dave_KC

When I was diagnosed with Diabetes, it was like 150/84, and I was told it's not surprising, since we're going to be talking about a diagnosis. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.