Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anika786

Diagnosed with Type 2; 21 years old

anika786

Hi everyone,

I am 21 years old, almost 22. I was diagnosed last year and never took it seriously. I want to get serious about it and control it through diet and exercise. Before I was diagnosed, I ate a lot of rice and pasta and barely any veggies. I am not proud of it, but hoping people will help with some advice. I am a really picky eater but I will have to learn to eat it for my health.

I am just overall really stressed and afraid about this. What kind of fruits are advisable? What veggies?

Any advice is appreciated.

JohnSchroeder

Hi and welcome!  Check out the recipes section.  But I would point out that you seem to be forgetting protein and fat and a source of food.  Fatty food is your friend.  Carbs and glucose are your enemy, which unfortunately includes most fruit.  Some people can eat berries though.

How are your A1C's?

meyery2k

Anika - Welcome.  Diabetes is likely due to genetics so, in spite of what you might hear, you did not do this to yourself.  That being said, lifestyle can greatly help with management.

While it is a worthy goal to control diabetes with diet and exercise alone, consider that medication and insulin are tools and needing to use them in no way determines how well or poorly you are managing your diabetes.

To best help with developing a plan, would you be willing to share your A1C and some morning fasting reading?

To start on diet, try to cut down with the goal of eliminating sugar, rice, pasta, potatoes, root vegetables, grains, and bread until you have your A1C and fasting readings to the targets you have established for yourself.  Once this is done, you might find you can eat limited quantities of things like berries and potatoes.

You will find a lot of great advice here and I would encourage you to surf the posts.  You will see we all were at the start like you are now.  The members here helped me and we will help you if you would like us to. ~ Mike

Kit

Hi Anika, welcome to the group.

The first things to realize is that all carbohydrates affect our BG levels, not just sugar.  That means ALL plants, vegetables and fruits, affect our numbers.

Fruits - small amounts of berries are the best to stick to.  My favorites are blackberries and strawberries.

However you need to be careful.  Just because fruit is natural doesn't mean it isn't full of sugar.  I eat sweet fruits infrequently.  The not so sweet fruits I eat much more often are zucchini, avocado, and tomatoes.

As for vegetables, I avoid all grains and most root vegetables.  I make exceptions for things like onions, garlic, carrots, radishes, and similar which I use in small quantities more for seasoning.  Turnips are also an exception.  I also severely limit legumes (a splurge once in a while is it and try to keep portion size small)

The vegetables I do eat

Asparagus, green beans, wax beans, spinach, kale, cabbages, and other greens, peppers of all kinds, broccoli, cauliflower, brussles sprouts, cucumbers, eggplant, fennel, artichoke, and similar.  Basically focus on vegetables that grow above ground.

Meat is pretty much free game in that the only types I avoid are due to my personal preferences.  I go for fattier cuts of meat over lean.  Which means no boneless skinless chicken breasts, etc.  Makes me very happy as the only thing I feel they are good for is chicken salad.  :)

I avoid milk because of the carbs, but make frequent use of heavy cream and cheese.  Avoid items labeled low fat.  If they took the fat out, they added starches and sugars for flavor and texture.

That's a very brief summary and I likely missed a whole lot of stuff.  You can also easily look up the nutritional information on food items.  Just search for "Nutritional information X" where X is the item in question.

One excellent rule of thumb we follow here is to eat to your meter.  Test yourself right before you eat and then again about 2 hours later.  This should give you an ideas on how your body is reacting to the foods and quantities you are eating.  There are situations where you may want to check at other times after eating, but 2 hours is a pretty good starting point.

My goal is to be under 100 fasting and before all meals and well under 120 by 2 hours after a meal.  Actually I prefer to be back under 100 by that time.

Take a look at our recipe section.  There's a lot of good information there as well as links to recipe sites.

Good luck, feel free to ask questions.  The only stupid question is the one left unasked.  :)

jwags

The only fruit I can handle is 1/4 cup of berries. Other fruits raise my bgs way too much. I tend to do a moderate carb diet, around 75-100 carbs a day. I do avoid most grains exceot sprouted breads. I also believe eating to your meter is a good idea.

Dave_KC

Hi Anika, and welcome.  

It's a worthy goal to get this under control through exercise and diet, and they're huge parts of the process.  However, there's no guarantee that will resolve the issues for you.  You're young, so it's really crucial to get this under control now, so you can enjoy your years on this earth.  I would strongly recommend a low carb diet, and being and getting active.  

I was diagnosed a little over six months ago, and with the help of meds, mostly diet and exercise, I've brought my numbers down tremendously.  You likely can too, but do take it very seriously.  And educate yourself.  This is a great place to learn.  

And feel free to ask questions, there's a lot of very knowledgeable people here.  

meAlexis

Dear, anika786, I understand you very well, since I have a seventeen-year-old sister who was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago. At first, we hid from her all sorts of sweets and goodies, forced her to sit on a cruel diet. Her condition worsened, she felt tired, exhausted and precocious. After that, we decided that it could not continue any longer. We consulted with a doctor who said that such severe restrictions can lead to exhaustion of the body and recommended buying qualitative insulin on the site http://canadainsulinconnection.com , with which it is possible to control both the blood sugar level and what you want, but in measure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.