Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bascula

I want results NOW

Bascula

I have started eating low carb (in my case, probably 50g/day) and have a whole 3 or 4 days literally under my belt.

I want results NOW  *stamps foot*.  How long till I can expect my BG to even out most marvelously and behave itself?  If I am able to reduce overall numbers would my fasting also be likely to lower somewhat?

Remind me that it's really ok and safe to have this low a level of carbohydrate, because I'm having to explain it to some people, including myself.

Kit

It took me months to get my numbers down close to 100. Now granted the whole time wasn't spent doing really low carb, but it still takes some time. I'm also of the opinion that our bodies actually resist the change, even if it's a change for the positive.

One other thing of note, morning readings are the last to fall into line. At least it was that way for me.

I know it's frustrating, but think of it this way. This isn't a short term thing. It's not like going on a diet to lose a quick 10 pounds. This is a lifestyle thing and you're in it for the long haul.

The big thing to keep in mind is to watch your trends at certain points of the day. Are you trending downwards towards your goal overall? There will be some minor ups and downs along the way but as long as you're moving in the right direction you are doing good.

meyery2k

Bascula - When I was first diagnosed, I was fasting near 300.  It took a couple months to get below 100.  

Carbohydrates are not required to live.  It would be unwise to completely avoid them since anything plant based has carbohydrates.  The trick is to get the most nutrition for any carbohydrates you need to eat.  This is why non-root vegetables are so good.  They offer a lot of vitamins and minerals with the carb count not being too high. Not all carbs are created equal.  The vegetables have complex carbs that take a longer time to break down than the simple carbs like sugar.

So lowering your carbohydrates and making wise choices is perfectly fine.  Completely cutting them out is not healthy because you would miss out on the nutrition offered by the plant based foods that have them.

I was skeptical of the low carb diet at first.  To be very honest, when I first read through these posts, I thought I had fallen in with a bunch of "Atkin's kooks".  The media has been very good at promoting fat and low carb as not healthy.

That can be true depending on what is eaten.  Now that I have experience under my belt, I find I function quite well on about 40g of carbs per day.  Butter, cream, oil, and other healthy fats keep me satiated between meals.  I can run 10K or cycle miles and miles on this diet with no ill effects.

I have had 2 lipid panels while on this lifestyle and they have both been excellent.

Fraser

Bascula

Just a note Stress can increase your BG,

You also need to add to low carb, portion control, weight loss ( if needed) increase in exercise. All important factors in BG control.

None of which happens in 3 days.

Read Mikes story, he is an inspiration .

As to those friends, just tell them to bug off!

Kit

I missed the question about safely.

We're not talking about eating pounds of bacon wrapped around a pound of cheese. I eat mostly vegetables if you look at it volume wise. In all honesty, I eat at least three times the vegetables as the average person. It's just the vegetables I chose to eat are low in carbohydrates while being packed with nutrients.

One of my current favorite meals is a stir fry. It changes every time I make it, but on average looks like

Broccolini

Bok choy or other cabbage

Shiitake or other type of mushrooms

Red or yellow bell peppers

Snow peas

Asparagus

Onion, green onion, or shallot

Zucchini or yellow summer squash

Protein of choosing

Seasoned with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, chili oil and similar.

Usually manage to stay within 12g total carbohydrates per serving and it tastes amazing.

No heavy sicky sweet sauce required because I don't have to moisten or flavor rice. Instead of rice I just have a larger serving of vegetables.

Or my current craving is sautéed dark greens in oil with garlic and red pepper flakes and maybe some onion, pepper, and mushroom (yeah, I have an addiction there) . Serve with fish of some kind with a fas heavy cream sauce or seasoned mayo.

When someone confronts me with my "unhealthy" diet, I ask them what I'm missing that they get. I've yet to receive an answer that I wasn't able to show wrong.

dowling gram

Bascula--We've all been there and heard the nay sayers. This is for those that are giving you a hard time--The only function of Carbhydrates is to give you energy. Our bodies are marvelous things. When we cut carbohydrates our bodies have another source for energy. We start burning fat. That is why our diet contains low carbohydrates and high fat. You can't avoid carbs all together but no one needs the gigantic amount that most people eat.

Besides being good for keeping blood glucose low, the benefits of low carb are many. You lose weight. Your cholesterol improves, You feel better and have more energy. Yes it's amazing that when you cut down on the bodies main source of energy you do get more energy. At least that's the way it worked for me.

Have patience. You didn't get your blood glucose up over night and you can't expect it to come down over night. The first thing I noticed is that I felt better and that was enough to keep me going. 3 Months after my diagnoses I went for an A1C test and was surprised at the results. Keep going and you'll be surprised too.

Orlando

"I want results now". My experience with BG control is that "victory belongs to the long distance runner". Or as Mao said, " every 1000 mile march starts with one step". 

P.S.. In the beginning I also thought I would never get there, but slowly, slowly I did. I am sure you will also. In my 5th year on the LCHF way of eating already. 

jwags

I did 30-40 carbs a day for 9 years and never saw normal numbers without meds. I have had to increase my meds over the years. I do 75-100 carbs a day now in hopes I can gain some weight.. I just accept my bgs will never be totally normal and live with it.

Hammer

Want that BG drop right NOW??????

Simple.

Insulin.

Art

I agree with Art....using insulin has immediate effects.  I use both a basal insulin (Lantus) and a bolus insulin (Novolog), and I can get my BG levels to be where I want them to be in a matter of hours.  For example, yesterday (Sunday) I decided to go to a restaurant that offered a breakfast buffet.  I had eggs and sausage links, then I went back and had more eggs with bacon, then I went back and had some baby carrots, seasoned green beans, and some type of cut up pork sausage.  When I got home, I tested and my BG was 118...too high for me, so I injected a few units of Novolog.  I tested a few hours later and I was at 86.  If I test and find that I am higher than I want to be, I just take a few units of insulin, and my BG levels drop to where I want them to be.  My typical wake up levels are in the 70-80 range, and that's attributed to my insulin.  Of course I need to add that I have been using insulin for years now, so I know how it affects my body.  Insulin isn't for everyone, but in my case, I can't take any oral diabetes meds, so I use insulin.  By using insulin for years, I have learned how much to take for most situations, and it has worked really well for me.

Fraser

Re: the quick fix to lower you BG- insulin

Insulin is a very good tool and often the required tool to manage yourBG Levels. I definitely don't agree using it as a quick fix, especially for those newly diagnosed or when it is not medically necessary .

If you are newly diagnosed and start insulin, how will you ever know what your body can do on its own or with LCHF diet or adding exercise?

I was dx with a fasting of 325-A1c of 12.0 ( it was 8 years ago). My doctor gave me two options, start insulin or try try a serious diet and exercise program with Metformin with a fall back of insulin if that did not work. I choose the diet and exercise, and never had any regrets.

After 3 months I was down to 7.1 in 6 months 6.3. Now no meds 5.7. If I had needed insulin that would have been fine.

i will repeat....... I beleive insulin is a great tool, if that what is needed to control you BG........ I am just not a fan of using it for a quick fix.

ShottleBop

Took me a few months to get my monthly average below 100 after reading Dr. Bernstein's The Diabetes Solution and starting low-carb.  That was 9 years ago. Still eating low-carb. Blood sugar still under control.

Bascula

Took me a few months to get my monthly average below 100 after reading Dr. Bernstein's The Diabetes Solution and starting low-carb.  That was 9 years ago. Still eating low-carb. Blood sugar still under control.

I have a copy out of the library!

And congratulations to you on your persistence, I'm glad it's working for you.

art

at initial diagnosis with high blood sugars I immediately went on insulin. Basal and bolus.

Sugar dropped like a rock. Hundreds of points. A1C followed.

After 3 months and everything stabilized and the diet and exercise were in place I switched to Metformin.

It was a let's see what happens approach.  Metformin alone worked.

But. I always had insulin in the fridge. And if my sugar popped for some reason took a shot and all was well.

After 6 years I'm back on insulin. The orals alone don't do it any more.

So you can go back and forth.

I never saw any reason to not have insulin handy.

We are human and we live sloppy lives. Had a piece of the birthday cake?  Good for you now get the insulin pen.

As the commercial says "life's sloppy, clean it up".

Art

meyery2k

Art - I must say your philosophy has given me thought.  Thank you.

When I was first figuring things out, I was strict with diet and saw great results.  I find I can maintain the diet and still have the occasional "item".  While I am not taking insulin, I realize it is a tool that we can use.  

If you don't mind, I will borrow the phrase.

Dave_KC

I would still suggest if you don't have to use insulin, you shouldn't.  But when it's needed, it's needed.  

The problem here seems to be patience.  It took me about three months to get my numbers under control and how I'm significantly down on meds.  There's several processes at work that need time to adjust.  

Bascula

Thanks to all for your comments.

I truly understand that it's a long haul, I'm only about 2.5 weeks into low carb and still coming to understand just what that means, and adjusting.  I'm doing this at a good time, because I now have a couple of months before my next A1c bloodwork, and I hope to make a serious dent in that there number!

Dave_KC

I'm doing this at a good time, because I now have a couple of months before my next A1c bloodwork, and I hope to make a serious dent in that there number!

And you can.  I was diagnosed on November 22nd 2016 with an A1c of 12.6.  On May 1st 2017 my A1c was 5.0.  I can't guarantee those results, but it can be brought down.

Fraser

Just a reminder on the long haul , I never stop reviewing and adjusting, even atfterv8 years. . With my last A1c at 5.7 it could be easy to just relax. I normally have it done every 6 months but my BG numbers have been up a bit. So this week I will have it done at 3 months. So if I need to modify my program I will do it sooner than later. /;-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.