Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JLGJ<3

Young, T2D and Pregnancy!!

JLGJ<3

Hi Everyone! I've been looking for forums to chat in and this forum seemed to have the exact topic I was looking for in Type 2 diabetes and Pregnancy. Everywhere I look for info about being pregnant with diabetes it is usually about people with type 1. A little info about me, I'm 26 years old and I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August of 2016. My A1C at that point was 9.7 and now it is at a 6.9. I used to weigh about 197lbs and now I'm down to 158.I have a 5 year old son.

I REAALLLLLLY want to get pregnant but I am so nervous about my baby's health and my health and I feel like my nervousness is going to make my blood sugars higher. I have seen an ENDO and they told me that I should start trying now before I get older (maybe more complications? idk) so I stopped taking my birth control pill but now I feel so worried because I've been reading so many scary articles online and about how young people with type 2 diabetes die early  :bawling:

I really would love to hear some success stories from people young and old about getting pregnant and living long happy lives because right now I'm just feeling all depressed. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Kit

Sorry, can't help you with pregnancy. Childless by choice here.

However, ignore that whole die early bullshoot. Doctors treat T2 diabetics horribly. The diet information were given is equally horrible. They keep our numbers running way higher than they should be. And that is the reason why you may see an elevated mortality rate. Because the medical community overall tries to keep us at BG levels which cause complications.

Your A1C has improved, but it's still way too high. If you want to get pregnant and have another healthy baby, you need to get serious about your control. You need to make sure you are targeting your blood glucose levels to a near non diabetic range. A1C under 6. Under 100 fasting and before meals. Under 140 1 hour after a meal. Under 120 2 hours after a meal. Some research says that true non diabetic numbers are even lower, but that is a good place to start as the chance of complications drastically drops.

The biggest factor for control are lifestyle changes, the good old diet and exercise thing. Many of us here follow a lchf (low carb high fat moderate protein) diet as it gives us the best results. Check around in our nutrition section, especially under recipes. There's a lot of good information there.

Another excellent practice is one we call eating to your meter. Testing yourself right before a meal and then 2 hours after the first bite. This will tell you how your body is reacting to the foods you are eating. If a meal puts you out of your target range, you know you either ate something you can't tolerate or are it in too large of a quantity. Next time you can make adjustments and give it another go. You will quickly build up a list of foods that play nice and foods which make you go too high.

Btw,my grandmother had her last child after 40. While age can introduce more potential for problems with a pregnancy, at your age diabetes is your major factor. Take your diabetes seriously now and you will be there for your children when they are having their babies.

Anyway, welcome to the group. You've come to a good place for information. People here are very helpful and friendly.

AMELIA

Hey y’all! I’m also a first time mom, diagnosed with T2D when I was 21. I am 24 now, and we have a strong family history of both diabetes and kidney failure. I brought my A1C from an 8.0 to a 6.4 and still working on it! Moms, how many meds are you on/what kind? I also hear being induced early is not uncommon. Any two cents? Thanks!

meyery2k

Amelia - Can't comment on the induced labor question but, for now, I control diabetes with diet and exercise.  I started with Metformin but was able to stop taking it.

Welcome! ~ Mike

Dave_KC

I'm afraid I'm not qualified to speak on labor and induction from having it done since I'm exactly qualified...  :P

However, my wife was induced with our youngest.  She's not, however, type 2 but there's a strong family history on her side. 

Paulllywaullly

I have started reading Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes by Cheryl Alkon as I plan for my first pregnancy. I am finding it to be a good resource and would recommend you to take a look also, if you're still heading this route. I realize the original post was from January =) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.