Diabetes forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bascula

Website helps compare food information

Bascula

I just came across this helpful website: www.twofoods.com

You can put in the names of two foods (potato/sweet potato; radish/carrot; besan flour/whole wheat flour for instance) and it will give you a comparison of basic information like calories, carbohydrate, fat, and protein for a similar amount of each (unfortunately it doesn't include fiber).  It gives multiple preparation options to choose from too - for instance, sweet potato boiled without skin, or sweet potato baked with skin.

I think this could prove helpful to me as I seek to understand "where the carbs are" and how to make choices that might be better for me.  Check it out!  Now you can actually compare apples and oranges!

Fraser

Bascule it does sound like a useful tool!

The irony is that neither Apples (25 gm of carbs) or Oranges (22gm)

Would be included in my low carb eating.

There are so many carbs out there.

Fraser

B.

It sounds like you are new to D.

Just to follow up on Clint. The carbohydrate number includes the carbohydrate number of the fiber in the food

Fiber digest differently than the other carbs.. One train of thought is that you subtract the fiber from the total number of carbs to get Net carbs. This is what Clint does, so he needs that number, which your site does not provide.

For me I just go by the total number of carbs. Neither is right or wrong you just need to be consistent to which one you use.

Counting carbs is a planning tool. You should count the same food carbs the same way each time.

Your meter readings will tell you how your body reacted, which is not nessessarialy the same each time either.

ant hill

As far veggies goes, I find that Greens have one important vitamin and that's Vit K, The Calories may have some effect as many diabetics do. I see that this is good carbs to have.

fanbrits johnson
On 6/9/2017 at 6:50 PM, Bascula said:

I just came across this helpful website: www.twofoods.com

You can put in the names of two foods (potato/sweet potato; radish/carrot; besan flour/whole wheat flour for instance) and it will give you a comparison of basic information like calories, carbohydrate, fat, and protein for a similar amount of each (unfortunately it doesn't include fiber).  It gives multiple preparation options to choose from too - for instance, sweet potato boiled without skin, or sweet potato baked with skin.

I think this could prove helpful to me as I seek to understand "where the carbs are" and how to make choices that might be better for me.  Check it out!  Now you can actually compare apples and oranges!

thank you for this decent website.