Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magenta Orchid

Coffee

Magenta Orchid

My glucose goes up with 3 large cups of coffee with milk. I've also used unsweetened silk with the same results. How can i stop this?

Orlando

Regular or unsweetened milk still contains lactose ie milk sugar, so try a few cups without any milk and see what happens.

meyery2k

As I understand these things, there can be a couple things going on here...

As explained, milk has carbs from the lactose which is a form of sugar.  Half and half, cream, or a nut based milk would significantly cut down the carbs.  Skim milk still has carbs in it.  This is a perfect example of why it is said fat is your friend on LCHF.

The caffeine in the coffee might be causing a fight or flight response in you.  You liver will dump glucose to prepare you for this.

Testing will help determine what the cause is.  I would think the milk is the culprit though.

LaRue - I can't disagree with you but, as a coffee aficionado, that would be tough advice to swallow ;)

funkynassau

Could you stand almond milk in your coffee?  Maybe the vanilla variety.  It comes in sugar free.

dex

Caffeine is a no-go for me. Even a small cup of black coffee will cause a rise that I have to bolus to counteract, which isn't worth it (to me).

TooSweetForMe

I used half-and-half, and drink the french vanilla flavored coffee if I want a bit of extra flavor.

ant hill, are you thinking about Prince's song?

meyery2k

Too Sweet - I used to be a coffee purist and wasn't into the flavored coffees.  In an effort to make interesting beverages, I have had to change that a little and, yes, there are many wonderful flavors to try.

With all of the different combinations of cream, sweeteners, extracts, and SF syrups, I have my own Starbucks thing going on here lol...

The frou-frou coffee makes for a nice change from the SF sodas.  I know the sodas are nutritionally worthless but I do love them so.  Especially the SF root beer.

Dave_KC

For me at Starbucks or other fru-fru coffee places, I order my drinks breve, which is with 1/2 and 1/2.  That keeps the carb content down along with a sugar free syrup, and I can enjoy and not blow the carbs out of the window. 

TX_Clint

Caffeine is a no-go for me. Even a small cup of black coffee will cause a rise that I have to bolus to counteract, which isn't worth it (to me).

Well dex, that won't work for me. Without caffeine I'm a no go!! Must have coffee to function.

georgepds

Yup, as mentioned above caffeine can raise cortisol levels in some people, I get this response especially in the morning. :P

How can you tell? Directly or indirectly?

dex

Well dex, that won't work for me. Without caffeine I'm a no go!! Must have coffee to function.

I get it. I used to be the same way. At one point, I worked for a Very Large Coffee Company where we were actively encouraged to experiment with the fully-stocked kitchens on every floor of the corporate headquarters. I managed to work my way up to a 10 shots of espresso a day habit while I was there. And since one of the main business groups that I worked with was the "coffee team," there was always someone coming by my desk or showing up for meetings with a French press full of some blend of beans they were experimenting with. I looooove coffee. I just hated giving myself extra insulin for it. Hahaha!

ant hill

I used half-and-half, and drink the french vanilla flavored coffee if I want a bit of extra flavor.

ant hill, are you thinking about Prince's song?

Yup!!

I also think of another song called  Savory Truffle by the beatles. yeah it's off topic

TooSweetForMe

Mike, I use the French Vanilla k-pods and have it fairly strong - Mom and I mainly drink it on weekends as a change of pace for her.  She drinks herbal teas weekdays, had a bleeding ulcer a little over 2 years ago and the Dr's told her to avoid caffeine as much as possible.

Ant Hill, yep - think we're getting a bit off topic with the songs. :wub:

ant hill

Ant Hill, yep - think we're getting a bit off topic with the songs. :wub:

Yeah, just a tad. But then we must have our coffee!!! So Cream would be the immediate low carb option, then there's the sweetener I carry Steivia satchels with me too as there 2 kinds. witch one has the positive effect on BG's?

art

Interesting,

I drink 10-12 cups of coffee every morning.

It has never bounced my sugar up.

Np sweeteners of any kind, real or fake and half and half.

We are all so unique

Art

TooSweetForMe

Yeah, just a tad. But then we must have our coffee!!! So Cream would be the immediate low carb option, then there's the sweetener I carry Steivia satchels with me too as there 2 kinds. witch one has the positive effect on BG's?

Mom is using the Walmart brand, and she has also just with the last week been re-started on metformin 500mg 1x a day.  I'll have to check her logs in a few days but I did see a bit of lowering when she switched from splenda to stevia.

TooSweetForMe

Interesting,

I drink 10-12 cups of coffee every morning.

It has never bounced my sugar up.

Np sweeteners of any kind, real or fake and half and half.

We are all so unique

Art

Oh my goodness.... I would be bouncing off the walls with that much coffee.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.