Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pvbj

[New App] Tracking & Finding Sugar with Messaging

pvbj
Hello Everyone,

I’m new here and would love to get the community's feedback on the Facebook Chatbot I've created. 

It helps you track how much sugar you are eating and identify hidden sugar ingredients in processed foods (i.e. inulin/hfcp).

Please let me know if I can add anything to help improve your sugar tracking experience  :)

If this post is inappropriate here, please do let me know where a better place is.

Thanks,

pbj

JohnSchroeder

Diabetics generally track carbs rather than sugar.  That would be a good first step to increase adoption.

pvbj

Diabetics generally track carbs rather than sugar.  That would be a good first step to increase adoption.

Thanks for that info. We are working on adding switches so you can decide which macro to track (carbs, protein, fat, sugar, sodium, etc). I will update this thread when we have the changes in the bot!

Fraser

My response is that I don't really need another app to track my carb intake.

I am doing fine with I use now.

control

Thanks for that info. We are working on adding switches so you can decide which macro to track (carbs, protein, fat, sugar, sodium, etc). I will update this thread when we have the changes in the bot!

I believe the point he was making is that sugars are carbs.  If you track carbs, you are tracking sugar as a consequence.  Diabetics track carbs because carbs are what raise blood glucose levels.  A person can track things listed as sugar only, but will not have an accurate reading of their carb intake because carbs are the top level category of which sugar is listed as a subset.  That is why if you look at nutritional labels, you're see Carbs, with sugar, fiber and sugar alcohol listed as the subcategories.  It's not unusual to add up all the subcategories and still not equal the total carb value.  This is largely due to hidden carbs and/or how companies are legally able to under-report sugar if it is under a certain amount. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.