Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bascula

In a food idea slump. Tell me what you ate today.

Bascula

After a month doing pretty well with the low carb thing, I'm getting into a rut/bored of what I'm eating.  Maybe that's how it has to be, but I doubt it!  I like to cook, I am the main cook in the household, and my husband and 18yo son are not really missing the carbs much.  Ideas are needed.

Therefore, maybe if you tell me what you had for breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner on what you consider a GOOD DAY, it will inspire me! Go:

Java

we like these:

https://www.ruled.me/low-carb-pancake-sandwich/

for a small low carb "dessert"

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/03/24/60-amazing-fat-bomb-recipes

i've been trying to up my fat intake and have been making super simple ones ~ equal amounts of dark cocoa pwder, heavy whipping cream and butter then add whatever sweetener you like, to taste

we always have boiled eggs, cheese, deli meats on hand ~ almonds, sometimes, on hand tho i tend to binge on those sometimes

yogurt of some sort

dinners are often grilled/sauteed veggies with a meat of some sort, topped with parmesan

lc taco or fajita bowls are a fave as well

tonight i'm making ribs with deviled eggs for dinner

i know there's other things, but i'm coming up blank ~ lol

Bascula

Does anybody here use tofu very much as a protein source?  I'm not vegetarian, but it makes a nice break from all the meat.

Kit

I use tofu once in a while, though not as much as I did prior to diagnosis.  I limit my carb intake so much that I prefer to save it for veggies and not my protein source.

My usual use was either in stir fries for soups.

This is what I'm currently craving.

Brats simmered until done and then pan fried (or grilled) to get the outside browned.

Served with sauteed onions and peppers, some brown mustard and a veggie of some kind.  That varies a lot from cauliflower, spinach, or others. For those who like it, should go very well with mashed cauliflower.

I want to try a cheese sauce using heavy whipping cream, cheddar or swiss cheese, and a little hot sauce.  Simmer HWC in a sauce pan until it thickens nicely.  Add in shredded cheese a little at a time, stirring until it melts.  Season to taste.  The thickened cream should keep it from clumping.  but, as I said, I haven't tried this yet.  I'd serve it with a smothered burger.  Basically hamburger patty covered with mushrooms, onions, peppers, and spinach and then that sauce.

For dessert

Create a kind of mousse with mascarpone cheese, heavy whipping cream (2 to 1 ratio), and vanilla SF syrup (davinci) for sweetener.  Layer in a little glass or dish with sliced strawberries.

meyery2k

It did take a little imagination and thinking out of the box at first but I find I actually eat a greater variety of things now than I did before.  So many meals had pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, etc.  While those were good there is really not that much variety other than preparations and seasonings.  With all the different vegetables, proteins, and different means to season and prepare them, I eat like a king.

With SF sweeteners and syrups, desserts are also possible. 

Bascula

I think I am still adjusting to the concept of eating more meats and fats than I did before, it was such a part of my mental makeup to try to go meatless and use lower fat dairy etc. 

I also think I will try to mostly stay away from sweets of any kind if I can, because the mere taste can start me into quite a powerful craving.  So for the moment I'm not seeking out any sweets recipes.  I have about 2 squares of dark chocolate a day and that will do for now.

Kit

I understand what you mean by staying away from sweets.  When you stay away from something you crave it less and less.

I've been thinking about it recently though as I have an anniversary and birthday coming up this summer and I always try to have something then.  :D

LaRue

Good topic, as I too am having a "slumpy" day, both physically and mentally.

I was being tempted to go out and get some Tex Mex, which I knew would destroy me.

Reading this thread made me remember things don't have to be complicated. Sometimes you just gotta get into the kitchen, heat up the pan and get going.

I actually had some really great salmon I had bought yesterday, so there you go. Just pan fried with butter melted on it. I'm just not having a veg day. I think I've been cheating myself on fat, as evidenced by a weight loss stall. 

Now my craving has gone away, and I'm better for it.

Carol_42

I've been bored with food for about a week.  I think it's the weather that is getting some of us down.  I'm not even interested in taking my FBG readings.  This message is a downer and I probably shouldn't post it ... but I will anyhow just to vent.

Kit

Some things I like to do when the weather is hot are non greens vegetable salads.

One I like is cucumber, tomato, and avocado salad. English cucumber, cherry or roma tomatoes, and avocado cut into chunks. The dressing I make for it varies every time but it's usually some sort of creamy viniagrette with a sour cream/acv/olive oil base.

Or there's a classic caprese salad of tomato and mozzarella with basil and a good olive oil. Sometimes a little drizzle of basalmic. Does very well all on its own.

Or there's the "anti pasta" salad. It's another that changes with my mood, but it's always based on raw zoodles. Then I might add tomato, artichoke hearts, marinated red peppers, marinated mushrooms, and similar. For protein I'll add mozzarella cheese and an Italian cured meat much as cotto, lardo, prosciutto, or similar. Dress with either an Italian style dressing or a pesto.

Or for a different flavor profile, Sesame Zoodles

http://cookiesandcups.com/sesame-zoodles/

Or something my dad used to do. Just slice some cucumber and put it in a bowl of water with a little salt and vinegar. Let sit in the fridge for a few hours. Not exactly a meal but very refreshing and simple.

Bascula

Thank you everyone, the slumpy and the not slumpy.

Last night I sauteed a little red pepper with garlic and onion, added a can of stewed tomatoes, and a bunch of cooked meatballs, cut in half, then some cubed zucchini.  Cooked that, covered, till the z was done, then added some thinly sliced Swiss chard leaves and some parmesan.  Topped with some slices of mozzarella, and serve!  We also had steamed broccoli, and garlic bread for the guys.  It was good, and satisfying.

notme

I have started taking a Pilates class and got a personal trainer to up my body strength. I find I crave food!!!! All food! It has been really hard to control my eating since my blood sugar plummets. (Note to self. Get a temporary basal rate going.).

I am trying to limit my processed meat and it is hard. I love them. If I have nothing in the house I buy a roasted chicken and put it on salad with avocado. It's hot, so a berry/protein shake is lovely. I use rice protein powder and unsweetened almond milk. If you are craving something, think deconstructed. Deconstructed sandwich, burger, fajitas and the like. I still on occasion like my processed meat, but I am really trying!

Because of the exercise, I am eating more carbs (just a few) but keeping it healthy like fruit and low carb bread (one slice).

LaRue

Last night I sauteed a little red pepper with garlic and onion, added a can of stewed tomatoes, and a bunch of cooked meatballs, cut in half, then some cubed zucchini.  Cooked that, covered, till the z was done, then added some thinly sliced Swiss chard leaves and some parmesan.  Topped with some slices of mozzarella, and serve!  We also had steamed broccoli, and garlic bread for the guys.  It was good, and satisfying.

Wow, that sounds amazing!

Could you please share your meatball recipe? I know the carb count can creep up with them.

I actually have a couple pounds of ground turkey I was going to just cook up into easy to grab burgers. This sounds like a much better use for them.

Bascula

Wow, that sounds amazing!

Could you please share your meatball recipe? I know the carb count can creep up with them.

I actually have a couple pounds of ground turkey I was going to just cook up into easy to grab burgers. This sounds like a much better use for them.

LaRue, the meatballs I used were purchased premade, and I didn't do any carb counting on them, just closed my eyes and used them.

But I have used this recipe with ground turkey and it was quite tasty:

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2017/02/instant-pot-meatballs-keto-low-carb.html

This recipe has you make them in an Instant Pot, but I see no reason you couldn't bake them or fry them till done.  The low-carb sauce she links to in this recipe was also very good.

LaRue

hmm...

That's a slippery slope, closing your eyes and eating something.

I think I'll just stick with the burgers.

Kit

Actually meatballs don't need carby fillers.  Its not a binder.  if it were, hamburgers would never be able to hold together either.  the filler is for moisture and so they aren't as dense.

However, they can be dense that way.  I've looked at the solution of putting in shredded zucchini and maybe an egg if I feel it needs a binder afterwards.

So, ground meat, seasonings, parm cheese, grated zucchini.  Fry up a meatball or two and if it doesn't hold together well, add an egg before cooking the rest.  :)

This is what I base mine off of.

http://bakerbynature.com/baked-turkey-zucchini-meatballs/

I don't follow it however, just use it as the base idea.

Bascula

hmm...

That's a slippery slope, closing your eyes and eating something.

I think I'll just stick with the burgers.

I know, I do know.

Did you look at the link I posted?  They have almond meal in them, were very good and tender.

Java

dinner a couple nights ago was sort of a stroganoff-ish soup

i browned a package of carne picada and then put it in the crockpot with beef broth and let cook on low a few hours

then i sauteed up a large container of baby bella mushrooms and an onion, added 8 oz of cream cheese and about a cup of sour cream to that and cooked until it was all melted

added that to the crockpot and that was it

fam loved it

LaRue

I know, I do know.

Did you look at the link I posted?  They have almond meal in them, were very good and tender.

Yes I did look. Unfortunately, I don't like almond or coconut flour. The taste of the almond flour actually makes me queasy I've found.

Kit is our Zuchinni Queen around here.

When I get some more ground meat, I'm going to try that, with shredded asiago cheese, spices, etc.

I'd honestly like to save my carbs for a little diced up fresh tomato brown up in oil. Watch out for any kind of canned tomato. It itself may be ok on net carbs, but once I add other compondents of a meal, for me it's not worth it.

With fresh tomato, I can better regulate how much I add in.

Moonpie

Some things I like to do when the weather is hot are non greens vegetable salads.

One I like is cucumber, tomato, and avocado salad. English cucumber, cherry or roma tomatoes, and avocado cut into chunks. The dressing I make for it varies every time but it's usually some sort of creamy viniagrette with a sour cream/acv/olive oil base.

Or there's a classic caprese salad of tomato and mozzarella with basil and a good olive oil. Sometimes a little drizzle of basalmic. Does very well all on its own.

Or there's the "anti pasta" salad. It's another that changes with my mood, but it's always based on raw zoodles. Then I might add tomato, artichoke hearts, marinated red peppers, marinated mushrooms, and similar. For protein I'll add mozzarella cheese and an Italian cured meat much as cotto, lardo, prosciutto, or similar. Dress with either an Italian style dressing or a pesto.

Or for a different flavor profile, Sesame Zoodles

http://cookiesandcups.com/sesame-zoodles/

Or something my dad used to do. Just slice some cucumber and put it in a bowl of water with a little salt and vinegar. Let sit in the fridge for a few hours. Not exactly a meal but very refreshing and simple.

Just had a bowl of the sesame zooodles for lunch it was very tasty. I added some cabbage slaw mix I had as I had only one squash ( for the two of us). It worked well & to garnish it, I added a chopped green onion & a few peanuts, I will make it again. Tofu or steak strips would make it into a full dinner.

Hammer

Well, I don't know if this is feasible for you and your family, but go to Olive Garden.  I met my friend there today, and we had the parmesan crusted zucchini and the calamari for appetizers, and I had the herb grilled salmon, with side dishes of a salad and steamed broccoli with butter.  I realize that this is a lot more costly than making dinner at home, but when I saw that you were in a food slump, I thought, why not go out for dinner? :)

When I got home, I tested my BG levels and they were at 95, which is about what I expected. :)

Hammer

Well, I don't know if this is feasible for you and your family, but go to Olive Garden.  I met my friend there today, and we had the parmesan crusted zucchini and the calamari for appetizers, and I had the herb grilled salmon, with side dishes of a salad and steamed broccoli with butter.  I realize that this is a lot more costly than making dinner at home, but when I saw that you were in a food slump, I thought, why not go out for dinner? :)

When I got home, I tested my BG levels and they were at 95, which is about what I expected. :)

I forgot to add to this post....if your wife is a stay at home mom, or works at a job, she deserves to be treated to a dinner at a restaurant.  I mean, she works hard and I'm sure that she would enjoy a night out for dinner with the family at a restaurant.  The mother is the one who holds the family together, and she deserves to be treated to a night out at a restaurant.  That is how my mother was, and I think that that's how most mothers are.....treat them to a dinner out once in a while, and don't make those once in a whiles, too far apart. :)

Bascula

I AM the mom here, the wife, the full-time office worker!  Thanks for the tip on Olive Garden, although I have found their food to be a bit too salty for my taste.

We grilled pork chops tonight (turned out merely ok; why do I bother?), but the side dish we all liked:  I sauteed some bell peppers in olive oil in a cast iron pan till they were pretty tender, added some garlic, salt, pepper, then a pile of zoodles.  Stir stir cook cook, then topped with mozzarella they were deelish.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.