Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bascula

Interesting experiment in living low-carb

Bascula

Do any of you follow the diatribe.or site?  It gets very techy for me, but some of Adam's articles are very interesting, like this one:

https://diatribe.org/low-carb-vs-high-carb-my-surprising-24-day-diabetes-diet-battle

He experimented on himself, with lots of tracking, eating a low carb diet (avg 146 g/day) for 12 days and a higher carb diet (avg 313 g/day).  He reports how his numbers were and how he felt.

The most enlightening thing to me was that his AVERAGE bg was essentially the same in each trial.  BUT the kicker is to remember that an average can be constituted of super highs plus lows, or constituted of a fairly even level of bg overall.  Guess which eating plan was most even?  you got it.  Guess which one he felt better on?  you got it.

This was a great confirmation to me that I'm on the right path.  I'd be interested in your thoughts.

TX_Clint

I agree with Angie. 150g a day is not low carb at all. However, his little study does show why lowish carbs are so important for T1's and even T2's on insulin. 

Bascula

i have never heard of him or that site but i think that 146 carbs a day is absolutely no where near a low carb diet

I get that, but it's the concept that is interesting.  He's on insulin, so maybe that makes a difference, and he might be Type I.  I believe he's also done another experiment where he went lower.

Java

i guess i should have put that differently ~ 146 carbs is def not low carb,  FOR ME  :)

insulin prob does change the scenario and i have no experience with that

i'm a T2 on no meds ~ not sure what the T1s are able to eat

modcarb

The number of carbs he's eating is much closer to the ADA recommendations.

The ADA now recommends eating whatever amount of carbs works well for you.

Adam is T1.  I have read several of his blogs and experiments. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.