Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Della Street

Long Term Metformin use and B12 Deficiency Study

Della Street

I saw a very brief article in one of this month's diabetes magazines, it made reference to a study that indicated long term Metformin use could cause B12 deficiency, which ultimately seemed to lead to neuropathy type issues and suggested that Met users should speak with their physicians about monitoring their B12 levels.

I don't take Met, but know that many on the board do, so I thought I would bring it up.  In case the link doesn't work, it was performed by Albert Einstein college of Medicine by Dr. Jill P. Crandall

https://einstein.pure.elsevier.com/en/publications/long-term-metformin-use-and-vitamin-b12-deficiency-in-the-diabete 

jwags

I have been on the maximum dose of Metformin for 10+ years. My last B-12 test came back >2000 which is high. I am also a vegetarian so I eat no meat.

Kit

Metformin can interfere with the body's ability to absord B12 in the foods we eat or even in oral supplements.

Periodically I ask my doctor to add a B12 and D test to my blood work.  So far both keep coming back at the high end of normal.  So far, so good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.