Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lgvincent

Problems with my insulin pump

lgvincent

I'm having major problems with my insulin pump.  I started running high blood sugars Saturday night so changed the infusion set.  It was still high Sunday morning so I changed the reservoir and infusion set again.  Sugars continued to run high so I tried a different vial of insulin along with new reservoir and infusion set this afternoon.  Sugar did drop at first but since dinner it's climbed progressively higher (323 at last check) so now I've resorted to taking injections again as well as changing the battery just in case it's not working even though the pump shows it has power.  I'm seeing the doctor Thursday afternoon.  At this point, I'd just like to take a 20 pound sledge hammer and show this pump what I think of it and then drop it into the Mariana Trench in hopes it's never seen again.  Anyone have any suggestions? 

NoraWI

Your doctor won't be able to help you at all. Stop wasting time and call the manufacturer immediately! They will send you a replacement by the fastest method available. Who is the manufacturer?

lgvincent

Your doctor won't be able to help you at all. Stop wasting time and call the manufacturer immediately! They will send you a replacement by the fastest method available. Who is the manufacturer?

Thank you but the Medtronic representative suggested I try things I've already done so I opened a new vial of insulin this afternoon and am down to 4 inserter sets to last for the next 30 days.  The pump did everything she instructed me to try with it so she says it's working.  I did take 40 units of Humalog this afternoon and was able to get my sugar down for a bit.  I'm about to see what it is in a moment.

lgvincent

Okay, new vial of insulin, reservoir and infusion set.  Bolus wizard suggested 6.2 units for an estimated 69 carbs.  With 40 units of insulin I had gotten my sugar down to 64 before dinner, it's 247 now.

I think it's time to get remove the pump and go back to injections although I'll have to find a prescription for Lantus.

NoraWI

Have you checked your insulin to carb ratio setting in the pump? Your profile does not indicate if you are a T1 or a T2.  If the pump is working well and your insulin is good, could the problem be what you are eating? If the syringe-injected Humalog works, I would definitely phone Medtronics again and insist that they swap out the pump. They should have done that anyway IF your pump is still under warranty.

notme

It sounds like something is off in your settings. I have been using the pump for 17 years and have seen everything. If you pump is responding and you have no error messages then either your settings are off or you have a kinked cannula. Take the cannula out and inspect it. Is it bent?

If the answer is no, then you need to talk to your doctor about your basal rate. Are you wearing the sensors? You can download your info to carelink and look for a trend or just look at the trend if you are using the sensors and see when you are spiking.

If all of that fails Medtronic will send out a new pump.

lgvincent

It sounds like something is off in your settings. I have been using the pump for 17 years and have seen everything. If you pump is responding and you have no error messages then either your settings are off or you have a kinked cannula. Take the cannula out and inspect it. Is it bent?

If the answer is no, then you need to talk to your doctor about your basal rate. Are you wearing the sensors? You can download your info to carelink and look for a trend or just look at the trend if you are using the sensors and see when you are spiking.

If all of that fails Medtronic will send out a new pump.

I tried five different infusion sets since Saturday and nothing changed.  I finally gave up in frustration and opened another vial of insulin and everything is working again.  I hate to say it but it looks like maybe I was using insulin that had gotten weak somehow or another.  It's not cloudy and it expires in September 2018 so I don't know what is wrong with it but my sugar is doing well again with the opening of a third vial. 

lgvincent

Have you checked your insulin to carb ratio setting in the pump? Your profile does not indicate if you are a T1 or a T2.  If the pump is working well and your insulin is good, could the problem be what you are eating? If the syringe-injected Humalog works, I would definitely phone Medtronics again and insist that they swap out the pump. They should have done that anyway IF your pump is still under warranty.

I called Medtronic and the pump did everything the representative suggested I try with it so she thought it might be the insulin.  I tried changing that again and my blood sugar has come down.  I have type 1 although it was juvenile-onset when I developed it 49 years ago so that's what it will always be to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.