Diabetes forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hammer

Cell phones....

Hammer
20 hours ago, Kit said:

But my cell phone isn't totally useless where I am.  The carrier I chose has excellent coverage here, around home. work, and other places I frequent.  I don't care whether you have one, whether or not you like them, whether or not it works where you live, or similar.  I only object to the blanket statement that since you don't like them you think no one else should either.

Ok, I see you do not have a good picture of where I was when I broke my ankle.  I was about a mile or so away from any house, on a mostly gravel side road that has absolutely no through traffic at night in the dark.  And I wasn't on the road, I was on a path off that road.  I would have had to pull myself along the dirt and mud and gravel about a mile, get myself through a security closed gate (have to enter a code on a pad I wouldn't have been able to reach) and then continue to pull myself for another block or so until I got to my house.  Or try to wake up a house along the way and hope someone was there and that they would come to the door.  Oh, and it would have been unlikely I could have reached their doorbell, so I would have had to resort to banging on it with my fist.

I'm a 5'1" woman in a large metropolitan area.  You do NOT walk up to a stranger's house and ask to come inside to use their phone.  That is stupid to the extreme.  They might be nice people.  They might not be so nice people.  They might decide that I would be an easy target.  For the same matter, I would be extremely uncomfortable if a stranger came to my door and asked to come in to use my phone.

Or, I could do what I did, stay where I was, pull my phone out of my pocket, and call my husband.

You didn't answer my question.  What is the downside to having a cell phone as compared to not having one at all?

Kit, as I mentioned in an earlier post, my opinion of cell phones is just that, my opinion.

The downside to having a cell phone?  Sure, and again, this is just my opinion....why pay XXX dollars a month for something that you don't need?  It's the fact that everyone WANTS a cell phone, that has created the disappearance of pay phones, so because there are no more pay phones now, the phone companies force you to get a cell phone....just in case of emergencies like you had with your ankle, and the phone companies love this because they are making millions, if not billions of dollars, off of those people who feel they NEED a cell phone.  I don't know where you live, but where I live, had I needed to use a phone in a situation like yours, I would have just knocked on someone's door, and asked them to call a relative to come and pick me up.  I would never go into a stranger's house to use their phone, I would ask them to make the call for me.  I had that happen once when my car broke down on my way to work one night.  I walked up to a strangers house, and asked them if they could call a cab for me while I waited on their porch's front steps.

Another downside to having a cell phone is that they are destroying the social etiquette of this country.  If some tries to call me on my landline, and I'm not at home, they can leave a message on my answering machine.  If someone tries to call you or text you on your cell phone, do you answer it right away, or do you leave it for later?  I bet that you have to answer it right now, right?...even if you're in the middle of a conversation with someone who you are face to face with at the moment, right?  Especially texts....why respond to a text when you are talking with some face to face?  That's just rude!  Leave the text alone and continue with your conversation with the person you are talking to.  Why do people feel the need to stop talking to the person in front of them to answer a text?  Is the text a life or death situation?  NO!  So why answer it and ignore the person you're are talking to?  That is plain and simply RUDE!

When I see some of the texts, or hear some of the conversations that people are making on their cell phones, I wonder why people are making these texts or calls?  I have said this before, and I'll say it again....90% of all cell phone calls and texts are worthless information.  "Hi Janet!  Sue here!  I just called to tell you that I just left my house and I'll be at your house in 10 minutes."  "Hi dear!  I'm on my way home from work, but I'm stopping to get gas, so I'll be a few minutes late."  Of course, there are thousands of other worthless comments that don't require a phone call, but since everyone has a cell phone, why not make the call, right?

Kit, you and I will never agree on cell phones, I have my opinions and you have yours.  What I don't understand, is why people with cell phones don't get the fact that, they site the fact that there are no more pay phones, so you need to have a cell phone if you are away from home.  It's the fact that they have cell phones, that's the reason that there are no more pay phones.  If they didn't have a cell phone, then there would still be pay phones.  I'd much rather spend 25¢ on a pay phone call that I might make once in my life, as opposed to spending XXX dollars every month, on a cell phone that I'll never use, and if I do, maybe once in my lifetime.

LaRue

Haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I'm pretty onboard with Kit (as usual).

Hammer, you're finding a great deal of joy in being the nay sayer, curmudgeon, disperser of hyperbolic comments (Everyone has their nose in their cell phone All the time/ No One needs one/ They are a complete Waste / etc etc) and all around stick in the mud.

I'm not going to step on the happiness you're getting from making these comments. Seriously, I don't mean that sarcastically. I can tell you're having a grand old time. You may not want to even admit it to yourself, but you are. In fact, it kinda gives me pleasure watching you have such fun.

Yeah, I can get if I lived in an area like you do, that having cell phone service that sucks would be annoying. It appears that it is less than usful to have a cell in your area.

However, and I mean this in as kind a way as I can, you don't get to tell other people what is necessary for their jobs, or in their lives. You can only say what is necessary or not for you. As an aside, I found it funny tell someone who works in IT that a cell phone isn't something necessary to their job. Question Hammer...Let's say you had a career which involved travel, not even cross country, but in a more local radius. You get an email (which is apparantly an acceptable form of communication) one morning saying their is an important mandatory teleconference happening in an hour, when you would be nowhere near a land line. What are you supposed to do? Not do your job duties and sit in an office/at home/at a pay phone for the call? No, this isn't an unusual scenerio. Nor are numerous other ones. I smiled at the comment about being able to do a job you had 20 years ago today and not needing new technology. The internet 20 years ago would be useless today. Your grandparents definately didn't have it on their jobs. Would anyone say the internet wasn't necessary for their job?

You say you communicate via email, or people can leave you a voice mail (on an answering machine no less).

What would you have said to someone who told you years ago that it was a waste and unnecessary to purchase an answering machine? Hey, if you're not home or don't want to answer, they can call you back, right? Or told you you it was just a convenience to send someone an unnecessary email when you could just pick up a paper and pen, write a "real" letter to them, address an envelope and slap a stamp on it and mail? I mean, who do you think you are, thinking what you want to have to say to them is so important it should arrive instantly on their computer? 

Phone calls? In my day we didn't have these new fangled party lines. If we wanted to talk to someone, we wrote them a letter, or got in the car and went to see them and tell them.

You got in a car? ! Who died and made you Nikki Sixx? Fribble-dee-dee! What's wrong with hitching up your horse to your buggy and riding over there on tramped down dirt road? WHAT!! You had roads?! And horses? Walking everywhere wasn't good enough for you, huh?

If you're a Stephen King fan, you'll get this reference.....The World has Moved on Gunslinger.

Sure, there's people with their noses stuck in their phones, but not Everyone. Not everyone talks loudly on their phones, or stops interacting with you when a call or text comes in. 

Rude people will find ways to be rude regardless if they are holding a cell, not holding a door open for you when you're right behind them, not letting you into the stream of traffic, speaking too loudly at the table next to you at a restaurant, etc. 

As for people who are interacting with their phones in a non rude fashion in public (and I'm emphasizing NON rude), what would you have them do instead? Stare into space and day dream?  They might be watching cat videos on You Tube, or researching some disease they just found out they had, saying hello to their mother (who is delighted to receive a middle of the day text from you) reading a book, or a thousand other things. BTW, I love cat videos on You Tube.

Personally, I think a way to stay interesting to yourself (and others) is to embrace change. Honestly? I'm not a particularly social person. I think of myself as a gregarious introvert. I'll flare up a conversation with a complete stranger, but don't seek it out. I much prefer home and quiet activities. However, there is an interesting world out there. You know this from having access to this interweb thing. 

Again, I get you don't get good service where you are. Perhaps if you were somewhere with good access, you'd find interesting aspects of cell phone that are useful to you.

I do wonder why you are so opposed to convenience.  If a person has to do a task, and one way is clearly easier, wouldn't the logical, intelligent thing to do be doing it that way? We have many opportunities in life to build character. I don't think cell phone usage counts as a detriment to that.

My father grew up in the 1920's, and apparantly had an attic bedroom which got hot as blazes in the summer. He made the connection in his mind that if he couldn't sleep in the summer as a child, then by Zeus, his children wouldn't enjoy a comfortable slumber either.  He couldn't completely reject technology making advances, so we had a window A/C in each bedroom growing up, which was only allowed on for an hour before bed, to "cool down" the room. I'll be honest with you. Lying on sweaty sheets at 2am did nothing to build any character in me, it just made me realize how confused he was.  He had the "tool" to make life more "convenient" for his family, but instead told us it was a waste and not necessary. Money was not an issue.

Heh. So I guess the moral of that is I always question it when someone else tells me what is wasteful and unnecessary to me, and I check myself before telling someone else what is wasteful and not needed by someone else.

I live in an urban environment. I'm 58, my husband is just turning 71. We don't have a land line, because quite frankly, it's the thing that's unnecessary and a waste of our money. Oh we have enough money, we'd just rather spend it on something else. Neither of us work (well, I have a small contract gig for a few hours a month), and we're not sitting at home together all day. Frankly, neither of us want our phones ringing each time we need or want to talk to each other. Texts are indeed convenient, useful, time saving and can be used for reference if we forgot something the other communicated. 

On my monthly billing gig (which I do at home), while I process billing I text various people questions about services they provided. Sometimes I work and text them at 1 or 2 am. Sometimes it's 2 in the afternoon. They might be working with a client, they might not be at that moment. They respond to me whenever they get up, or when they aren't with a client. I cannot begin to imagine the phone calls, voice mails returned calls, other calls for clarification, and on and on. I have about a 48 hour turnaround to get my work done, and there is no way if I had to be dealing with people's calls to me when I'm not around, my calls to them, and all that mess. It would be a bloody nightmare. I don't want to have to talk to them. They don't want to have to talk to me. It is glorious to be working away, getting a text, glance over without breaking stride, seeing the 3 or 4 word answer to an issue, and it's a done deal. Later a "thanks" text is all that's needed. Sometimes 4 or 5 texts come in over a few minutes from different people, all useful. If it had involved actual and missed calls? Fuggedaboudit. Wouldn't happen. I'll go swimming, and when I get back in the car, there's an answer text. Bliss. 

Re the medical stuff....yeah, I want to know NOW if something is going on with a loved one. I need to be there. Nuff said.

My husband had bypass surgery about 2 years ago. He has a loooong history of heart disease. This particular surgery was going to be much more risky than many other people having the same procedure. He'd had other surgeries, and it's always stressful.

I'm sure many here know the atmosphere of a cardiac waiting room. Each time a physician or nurse walk in there's a universal lifting of heads, a "is everything ok?" look in everyone's eyes.

Used to be you'd be told the procedure would take let's say 2 hours. Three hours later you're nervous, 4 hours later, you're panicking. You don't even want to go pee, let alone get something to eat or drink, for fear of missing the doctor.

Now, the operating room nurse get's your number, and you get his or hers. A few hours after your loved one gets wheeled off, your phone goes off and you see "NURSE" on the screen. You answer and all that's said is "We're halfway through, and everything is going well." You could be (excuse me) sitting on the toilet, getting a beverage, anything. Suddenly you know everything is going well.

Priceless, and no one had to disrupt their work to come find you.

What else do I use my cell for?

Well, cell "phone" is the least of it. 

Here are things that I use on a regular basis...

Replaces Wrist Watch (I've always hated wearing them)

Calculator (yes I use one often)

Stopwatch (ditto)

Text/emails

Check eBay (more on that below)

Pay for my after swim coffee (starbucks app)

Read the news wherever I am (we don't get cable, Netflix is all we want)

Watch both instructional and extertainment videos on youtube

Googling information 

Weather

Reminder list

Flashlight

Photos of useful things (covers of books I've read, where my car is parked, neat things I want to learn more about, something I'd like to forward to a friend or relative, specific products I might want to sell, pretty much anything I don't want to write down but might forget) Selfies and the like are nowhere on the list.

I sell niche specific products on eBay. If I'm near one of the vendors where I buy my product, I'll look to see if I've made any recent sales, so I can pick it up without making another trip. That happens regularly. 

Sometimes at one of the above vendors, I don't get a discount I know I should get, and I show them their website so I'll get my savings. (oh sure, I could do that the old fashioned way asking to speak to the manager and wasting time...fun)

Other store apps that will have % off coupons (For example Michael and Hobby Lobby have a weekly 40% off coupon for one item. You show it to cashier) 

Posting on a forum like this.

Mind relaxing games during down time

Alarm clock

As far as how can you text on those little screens? It's like anything else, you develop the skill/knack. How did we manage dialing those rotary phones? I remember getting to the last digit and AAARRRRGGGHHH! you finger would slip and you'd have to start all over again.

One thing I don't use my cell for is anything financial, banking or purchasing. I'll be home for that.

Oh, funny story. Years ago, Mr LaRue would occassionally ask me to "teach him about the internet" then promptly argue with me about everything I was showing him. I couldn't even teach him how to send an email. 

Strangest thing, when he got a smartphone, everything changed and seemingly overnight he became Mr. Tech Savy. It was something about him being able to hold it in his hand, swiping and touch screen rather than a mouse.

Good for him.

LaRue
On 8/7/2017 at 1:04 PM, Hammer said:

I don't think the landline will be going away any time soon, there are too many people who connect to the internet via DSL, not to mention businesses that use fax machines.

Businesses who have internet access (the vast majority) have no need for an actual fax "machine" and they are becoming increasingly rare. Gone are the days of pieces of paper being spit out and clogging up file cabinets. When you fax someone, you scan it, and or email.

As far as DSL, only a few million households use that. It's disappearing fast. Whole towns are being built with high speed internet 

In other words, it's going away, fast. 

Grocers used to write down the dollar amounts of items people bought on a brown paper bag, and added them up, telling people what they owed. Then along came that darn cash register with a paper tape.

I think I see the issue. Technology took it's proper course from drawing cave paintings with soot from the recently tamed fire, to developing agriculture, to the spontaneous combustion engine, to men landing on the moon. However, we re reached our apex with whatever technology you deem appropriate, not useless and a waste. If it wasn't something that was used 20 years ago on a job, or something that was invented and used by your parents generation, in your opinion, it has little or no place in this world.

Everyone who uses this new stuff is going to heck in a hand basket. They are pleasure, convenience and rudeness addicted and need to get their heads together and stop inventing and using things that weren't used prior to whatever point in time where all this nonsense had to stop.

Me? I don't figure it's any skin off my nose if I overhear someone calling someone else saying they'll be home in 10 minutes. 

Everything has back story, and I don't know what happened to produce that call.

Hammer
On 8/9/2017 at 10:26 PM, LaRue said:

Haven't read through this entire thread yet, but I'm pretty onboard with Kit (as usual).

Hammer, you're finding a great deal of joy in being the nay sayer, curmudgeon, disperser of hyperbolic comments (Everyone has their nose in their cell phone All the time/ No One needs one/ They are a complete Waste / etc etc) and all around stick in the mud.

I'm not going to step on the happiness you're getting from making these comments. Seriously, I don't mean that sarcastically. I can tell you're having a grand old time. You may not want to even admit it to yourself, but you are. In fact, it kinda gives me pleasure watching you have such fun.

Yeah, I can get if I lived in an area like you do, that having cell phone service that sucks would be annoying. It appears that it is less than usful to have a cell in your area.

However, and I mean this in as kind a way as I can, you don't get to tell other people what is necessary for their jobs, or in their lives. You can only say what is necessary or not for you. As an aside, I found it funny tell someone who works in IT that a cell phone isn't something necessary to their job. Question Hammer...Let's say you had a career which involved travel, not even cross country, but in a more local radius. You get an email (which is apparantly an acceptable form of communication) one morning saying their is an important mandatory teleconference happening in an hour, when you would be nowhere near a land line. What are you supposed to do? Not do your job duties and sit in an office/at home/at a pay phone for the call? No, this isn't an unusual scenerio. Nor are numerous other ones. I smiled at the comment about being able to do a job you had 20 years ago today and not needing new technology. The internet 20 years ago would be useless today. Your grandparents definately didn't have it on their jobs. Would anyone say the internet wasn't necessary for their job?

You say you communicate via email, or people can leave you a voice mail (on an answering machine no less).

What would you have said to someone who told you years ago that it was a waste and unnecessary to purchase an answering machine? Hey, if you're not home or don't want to answer, they can call you back, right? Or told you you it was just a convenience to send someone an unnecessary email when you could just pick up a paper and pen, write a "real" letter to them, address an envelope and slap a stamp on it and mail? I mean, who do you think you are, thinking what you want to have to say to them is so important it should arrive instantly on their computer? 

Phone calls? In my day we didn't have these new fangled party lines. If we wanted to talk to someone, we wrote them a letter, or got in the car and went to see them and tell them.

You got in a car? ! Who died and made you Nikki Sixx? Fribble-dee-dee! What's wrong with hitching up your horse to your buggy and riding over there on tramped down dirt road? WHAT!! You had roads?! And horses? Walking everywhere wasn't good enough for you, huh?

If you're a Stephen King fan, you'll get this reference.....The World has Moved on Gunslinger.

Sure, there's people with their noses stuck in their phones, but not Everyone. Not everyone talks loudly on their phones, or stops interacting with you when a call or text comes in. 

Rude people will find ways to be rude regardless if they are holding a cell, not holding a door open for you when you're right behind them, not letting you into the stream of traffic, speaking too loudly at the table next to you at a restaurant, etc. 

As for people who are interacting with their phones in a non rude fashion in public (and I'm emphasizing NON rude), what would you have them do instead? Stare into space and day dream?  They might be watching cat videos on You Tube, or researching some disease they just found out they had, saying hello to their mother (who is delighted to receive a middle of the day text from you) reading a book, or a thousand other things. BTW, I love cat videos on You Tube.

Personally, I think a way to stay interesting to yourself (and others) is to embrace change. Honestly? I'm not a particularly social person. I think of myself as a gregarious introvert. I'll flare up a conversation with a complete stranger, but don't seek it out. I much prefer home and quiet activities. However, there is an interesting world out there. You know this from having access to this interweb thing. 

Again, I get you don't get good service where you are. Perhaps if you were somewhere with good access, you'd find interesting aspects of cell phone that are useful to you.

I do wonder why you are so opposed to convenience.  If a person has to do a task, and one way is clearly easier, wouldn't the logical, intelligent thing to do be doing it that way? We have many opportunities in life to build character. I don't think cell phone usage counts as a detriment to that.

My father grew up in the 1920's, and apparantly had an attic bedroom which got hot as blazes in the summer. He made the connection in his mind that if he couldn't sleep in the summer as a child, then by Zeus, his children wouldn't enjoy a comfortable slumber either.  He couldn't completely reject technology making advances, so we had a window A/C in each bedroom growing up, which was only allowed on for an hour before bed, to "cool down" the room. I'll be honest with you. Lying on sweaty sheets at 2am did nothing to build any character in me, it just made me realize how confused he was.  He had the "tool" to make life more "convenient" for his family, but instead told us it was a waste and not necessary. Money was not an issue.

Heh. So I guess the moral of that is I always question it when someone else tells me what is wasteful and unnecessary to me, and I check myself before telling someone else what is wasteful and not needed by someone else.

I live in an urban environment. I'm 58, my husband is just turning 71. We don't have a land line, because quite frankly, it's the thing that's unnecessary and a waste of our money. Oh we have enough money, we'd just rather spend it on something else. Neither of us work (well, I have a small contract gig for a few hours a month), and we're not sitting at home together all day. Frankly, neither of us want our phones ringing each time we need or want to talk to each other. Texts are indeed convenient, useful, time saving and can be used for reference if we forgot something the other communicated. 

On my monthly billing gig (which I do at home), while I process billing I text various people questions about services they provided. Sometimes I work and text them at 1 or 2 am. Sometimes it's 2 in the afternoon. They might be working with a client, they might not be at that moment. They respond to me whenever they get up, or when they aren't with a client. I cannot begin to imagine the phone calls, voice mails returned calls, other calls for clarification, and on and on. I have about a 48 hour turnaround to get my work done, and there is no way if I had to be dealing with people's calls to me when I'm not around, my calls to them, and all that mess. It would be a bloody nightmare. I don't want to have to talk to them. They don't want to have to talk to me. It is glorious to be working away, getting a text, glance over without breaking stride, seeing the 3 or 4 word answer to an issue, and it's a done deal. Later a "thanks" text is all that's needed. Sometimes 4 or 5 texts come in over a few minutes from different people, all useful. If it had involved actual and missed calls? Fuggedaboudit. Wouldn't happen. I'll go swimming, and when I get back in the car, there's an answer text. Bliss. 

Re the medical stuff....yeah, I want to know NOW if something is going on with a loved one. I need to be there. Nuff said.

My husband had bypass surgery about 2 years ago. He has a loooong history of heart disease. This particular surgery was going to be much more risky than many other people having the same procedure. He'd had other surgeries, and it's always stressful.

I'm sure many here know the atmosphere of a cardiac waiting room. Each time a physician or nurse walk in there's a universal lifting of heads, a "is everything ok?" look in everyone's eyes.

Used to be you'd be told the procedure would take let's say 2 hours. Three hours later you're nervous, 4 hours later, you're panicking. You don't even want to go pee, let alone get something to eat or drink, for fear of missing the doctor.

Now, the operating room nurse get's your number, and you get his or hers. A few hours after your loved one gets wheeled off, your phone goes off and you see "NURSE" on the screen. You answer and all that's said is "We're halfway through, and everything is going well." You could be (excuse me) sitting on the toilet, getting a beverage, anything. Suddenly you know everything is going well.

Priceless, and no one had to disrupt their work to come find you.

What else do I use my cell for?

Well, cell "phone" is the least of it. 

Here are things that I use on a regular basis...

Replaces Wrist Watch (I've always hated wearing them)

Calculator (yes I use one often)

Stopwatch (ditto)

Text/emails

Check eBay (more on that below)

Pay for my after swim coffee (starbucks app)

Read the news wherever I am (we don't get cable, Netflix is all we want)

Watch both instructional and extertainment videos on youtube

Googling information 

Weather

Reminder list

Flashlight

Photos of useful things (covers of books I've read, where my car is parked, neat things I want to learn more about, something I'd like to forward to a friend or relative, specific products I might want to sell, pretty much anything I don't want to write down but might forget) Selfies and the like are nowhere on the list.

I sell niche specific products on eBay. If I'm near one of the vendors where I buy my product, I'll look to see if I've made any recent sales, so I can pick it up without making another trip. That happens regularly. 

Sometimes at one of the above vendors, I don't get a discount I know I should get, and I show them their website so I'll get my savings. (oh sure, I could do that the old fashioned way asking to speak to the manager and wasting time...fun)

Other store apps that will have % off coupons (For example Michael and Hobby Lobby have a weekly 40% off coupon for one item. You show it to cashier) 

Posting on a forum like this.

Mind relaxing games during down time

Alarm clock

As far as how can you text on those little screens? It's like anything else, you develop the skill/knack. How did we manage dialing those rotary phones? I remember getting to the last digit and AAARRRRGGGHHH! you finger would slip and you'd have to start all over again.

One thing I don't use my cell for is anything financial, banking or purchasing. I'll be home for that.

Oh, funny story. Years ago, Mr LaRue would occassionally ask me to "teach him about the internet" then promptly argue with me about everything I was showing him. I couldn't even teach him how to send an email. 

Strangest thing, when he got a smartphone, everything changed and seemingly overnight he became Mr. Tech Savy. It was something about him being able to hold it in his hand, swiping and touch screen rather than a mouse.

Good for him.

So what you're saying is that, if for whatever reason, cell phone service went down in your area for an extended time, you'd be lost, with no idea what to do, since you rely so heavily on your cell phone, based on all of the things you said you need your cell phone for in your post above?  Gee, that's a nice way to live...:)

LaRue

Where did I say that?

Please don't put words in my mouth.

What I did say was some of the thngs I use my device for. Not that I'm incapable of functioning without it.

My cell saves me time, money and improves the general quality of my life.

Hammer
1 hour ago, LaRue said:

Where did I say that?

Please don't put words in my mouth.

What I did say was some of the thngs I use my device for. Not that I'm incapable of functioning without it.

My cell saves me time, money and improves the general quality of my life.

You said that you use your cell phone to replace your wristwatch, so if cell phone service in your area went down, you wouldn't know what time it was, since you hate wearing a wristwatch.  You said that you use your cell phone as a calculator to help you add and subtract things, you said that you use your cell phone to buy coffee, so I guess that, with out cell phone service, you'd have to do without coffee, you said that you use your cell phone to as a stopwatch.... to read the news, etc.  Just look at your post telling me what you use your cell phone for, I mean really?  I am not putting words in your mouth, I am just repeating what you said in your post above.  All of the things that you said that you use your cell phone for, is what I am referring to.  READ your post and tell me where I am putting words in your mouth.  You stated all of the things that I mentioned, I didn't make them up.  I mean, do you really need to pay whatever it is you're paying for a cell phone to see what time it is, or to buy coffee?....to know what the weather is going to be?....to read the news?....to play games?....to use as a flashlight?....Really?....a flashlight?  Wow, paying $45, or whatever it is you pay every month, so that you can use your cell phone as a flashlight is just insane!  I have numerous flashlights around my house that don't cost me a cent, but I guess that you think that paying an exorbitant fee every month to your cell phone provider is okay as long as you can have your cell phone act as a flashlight if the power goes off in your house.  What part of not needing a cell phone don't you understand?  You are doing what I have stated in earlier posts....that you are trying to justify NEEDING a cell phone, because you don't want to be bothered doing whatever you use you're phone for, to replace what normal people do without a cell phone!  Everything that you mentioned in your previous post, could be done without a cell phone, but you seem to think that using the cell phone is the only way to go, and to me, it's NOT! 

If your cell phone was lost or stolen, could you exist without it?  If you could, then why do you feel that you absolutely NEED it?  That is my point!  If anyone can exist without a cell phone, then why do people place so much importance on their cell phones?....because they are a CONVENIENCE, not a necessity!

Jeez, trying to make cell phone users understand why they don't NEED a cell phone is like beating your head against a wall....they will never get it!

Dave_KC
5 hours ago, Hammer said:

Jeez, trying to make cell phone users understand why they don't NEED a cell phone is like beating your head against a wall....they will never get it!

I enjoy my cell phone very much and use it for all kinds of things, many of which are very helpful...  but it's not a necessity.  It's a great, very helpful convenience.  

I need to check if it's now charged. :)

dowling gram

Hammer It's like beating our heads against a wall to make you see that others like the convenience of having a cell phone. It is not a question of want versus need. There are lots of things today that may be classed as a want by your definition but are standards in most homes in this day and age. Things that a generation ago that did not exist.

You don't NEED a computer. You can get news from a newspaper and use the phone for information. Some people have never owned one and live fine without it

you don't NEED a clothes dryer or  a washer for that matter. You can wash clothes on a washboard and dry them outside. I did that for 3 months once

You don't NEED a dishwasher. Some people have never owned one and do dishes by hand including me.

You don't NEED a car especially in a city. You can walk, bike or take a bus to get where you want to go.

I could go on but maybe you'll get the point. You may need some of these things but others may not but have them for the convenience and the same is true of a cell phone. Open your mind and see that not everyone's situation or lifestyle is the same as yours and their needs, wants, and desires are different than yours too.

LaRue

Hammer is just being absorbed in his own fantasy now that people are saying what he wants to hear.

In none of my examples did I use the word "need". Hammer has helpfully added it in to suit his purposes. 

Where I live, the odds of cells going down is for all intents and purposes non-existent. I don't live, as Hammer does, in an area with bad service. So the oft repeated complaint of "what if" doesn't apply. I also leave my house more than once every 2 or 3 days, as he seems to.  I lead a life that's as busy as I would like it to be, and also contains maximum amounts of joy, interest and pleasure. I like having a device that supplies me with all this, wherever I am, for a cost I can easily afford. 

In fact, my cell (I really am going to leave the word "phone" out of it, since that is an aspect that is on the bottom of the list I use it for), both earns and/or saves me several times the amount of money I spend on it each month.

In addition, Hammer likes to point out each feature of a cell in isolation, not realizing the sum in greater than the parts. Yes, paying for a cell to use as a flashlight would be pretty foolish. 

What is most curious is this extreme adversion Hammer has to any sort of convenience, as if it one of the 7 deadly sins. Especially convenience that enables to shorten tasks, save money, earn money, make life more pleasant as well as being available in an emergency.

Fortunately, I don't restrict myself to living a life where I have to wear an annoying thing around my wrist, or carry around a tool box that contains maps, stop watch, calculator (which btw, I do more than add and subtract with, my needs are specific to something I'm not going into here) , printed out coupons, lists of collected points and perks earned, paper lists of all sorts of random tasks or thoughts about something I want to investigate or take advantage of later, an alarm clock, etc.

I'm also not prepared to spend extra hours playing phone tag with people, listening to their often long winded, sometimes untelligible and unuseful messages, and at least a dozen other things.

Convenience? Yes. So what? It's not a dirty word Hammer. Plus, even though the cost of my cell is paid for by actions it performs for me, if it does cost me money, isn't that my business and not yours?

I would guess I could walk into your home and point out things that I deem unnecessary, that you would either disagree, or say "Sure, but I enjoy it, and it's worth it."

So, what exactly is the issue you have with someone who values their phones ability to increase the value of their time, can pay for it, and uses it in a way that is not rude to others?

Dave_KC
23 minutes ago, LaRue said:

Where I live, the odds of cells going down is for all intents and purposes non-existent. I don't live, as Hammer does, in an area with bad service.

I would have said that two years ago, until the Royals World Series parade, which prompted the classic signs...  cell service like it's 1985!  

Seriously, Austin, like Kansas City, is a very good cell service area, as are almost all cities of any size, and rarely does the service go down.  

Cell service isn't a necessity in the truest sense of the word, but it's very hard to live without it, as my brother-in-law found out when driving from Chicago to his home two hours west of the Twin Cities, and got in an accident, and had no practical way to contact people.  My wife and I just rolled out eyes, as he could have had the service, but didn't.  I even offered to help, and he wouldn't have it. 

LaRue

You're right Dave. Also, during the parade, how long did service go down for? An hour or 2? Like land line service never goes down for that long.

The only time in memory that I can remember lines going down was after 9/11. A friend lived a few blocks from Ground Zero. Impossible for calls of any nature to get through. Cell, or landline. 

In fact, I cannot remember any time at all a call I was on anywhere in the U.S. was dropped. Honestly, don't think I've had that happen in 20 some years. Then again, I don't live in a dead zone. In that case, not my circus, not my monkey.

Something else I thought of. This laundry list of "what if" scenerios that will apparantly all converge together to make everything you use a cell for implode on itself. How ridiculous. Yeah, your cell service is going to go down and you'll be like a turtle on its back. We will lose all concept of time and space, and will stare at each other in a panic, not remembering how to take in air, and civilization will end. :rolleyes:

I mentioned before if I'm near a vendor I purchase from, I'll check to see if I had any ebay sales occured recently that might involve me needing to pick up an item. I do keep an inventory at home of things I got at a BOGO sale or similar. However, I try to keep inventory to a minimum for several "makes good business sense" reasons. 

"What if" I didn't have a cell, and went home an saw I made a sale, and had to turn around and drive back out to the vendor? 

The chances, living where I do, of getting into some kind of accident between point A and point B is a million times greater than the catastrophe of cell service going down. Even if only a fender bender, there goes the cost of a years worth of cell phone charges, considering if you have even a low $500 deductible. Plus, another great ride in August 100 degree plus weather, spending at a minium of 30 minutes driving back and forth and making that stop, recalibrating other activites that need to get done, and other unforeseen consequences of not being able to see at a glance I could make a stop which would involve 2 minutes of driving, not 30. Sure, I guess Fate could decree that was the method in which I could end up in a minor or major accident, but hey, I'm a dare devil.

Related to this is the idea of Waste. I am....very good with money. I know how it works.  Regardless of whether you are good with personal finances or not, most of of us have an idea of the difference between someone who uses their money wisely....and a cheap skate.

I had a friend years ago that would crack me up by saying "WASTE! That's what the Enemy wants!" Being a cheap skate is a waste. I am all for saving on something, and being able to profit positively from your savings. It's the basis of Buy Low, Sell High in the stock market, or in running a lemonade stand. 

I would be a world class cheap skate if I couldn't see that not having a cell would cost me. One of my role models is Warren Buffet. He has 2 rules to investing. #1 is....Don't lose money. Rule #2 is....Don't forget Rule #1. 

Now it might be said not everyone uses their cell in a way that profits them financially. However, don't kid yourself in how many people are out there every day, hustling. If they can't be reached, the job will go to someone who can be reached. Carpe diem man.

And if the gain isn't financial? It's still a gain. If it's only getting a text or call from your kid that they are home from school on your cell, rather than the kid needing to call the main switchboard, and all the rigamarole that follows, if it's worth it to you, it's worth it.

When my husband and I watch movies or a show on Netflix, often we'll both be looking up factoids about the actors in the movie, or other related stuff, and sharing it with each other, whether we're sitting next to each other, or different sides of the room. It's a bonding thing with us, fun and loving, and we both enjoy it. When his step daughter is over to visit, she joins in. It's a real family thing. No one is going to tell me that's a waste of anything. 

Does everyone remember the movie "When Harry Met Sally?" Harry and Sally would be be in their respective apartments, in their beds, watching the same movie, and commenting to each other on it from their bedside phones. 

A girlfriend of mine and I will both be watching Netflix with a show as schronized as possible, and will text each other as we watch. I'm sure Hammer is having angina reading that, but we have a huge amount of fun doing it. Isn't that what it's all about? Sharing good times?

Hammer

LaRue, I find your comments amusing....as if you are trying to psychoanalyze me.  I stated at the onset that no one needs a cell phone, they are merely a convenience.  To prove my point, let me ask you to try something (which I doubt that you will)....turn off your cell phone, place it in a drawer, and leave it there for 30 days, then come back here and tell me if you were able to survive without that cell phone for that 30 day period.  Yes, I'm sure that you could survive without that cell phone, and that's my point....no one NEEDS a cell phone, they are merely a convenience.

Your comments about that scene  "When Harry Met Sally", where they are watching a TV movie and making comments about it to each other over a landline, could never be done with a cell phone because the batteries would die before the movie was over.  No so with a landline. 

Years ago, I had just started dating a woman...we lived in neighboring states, and she called me on a Saturday, and we chatted for 24 hours straight, on our landlines.  That could never happen with a cell phone, right?  The batteries would die off long before that, but no so with a landline.  It was that landline conversation, that we got to know each other a lot better, just exchanging thoughts about many things, and we ended up dating for about a year.  If we had cell phones back then, that would have never happened, but heck, cell phones are better, right?

LaRue, look, I will never change your opinion about cell phones, and no one will ever change my opinion about cell phones, so why beat a dead horse?  I hate cell phones and you love cell phones, so that's pretty much all there is to say, don't you agree?

Kit
13 minutes ago, Hammer said:

I stated at the onset that no one needs a cell phone, they are merely a convenience. 

I do because of work.  A previous job provided it for me.  My current job also requires me to use it but I'm ok using my personal as its strictly internal usage.

Its part of my job description, its in my offer letter.  If I refused, I would be looking for a new job.  Most likely another job in my field would require the same.  They usually do.

Oh, and if your cell battery gets low, plug it in and keep talking.

LaRue
32 minutes ago, Hammer said:

LaRue, I find your comments amusing....as if you are trying to psychoanalyze me.  I stated at the onset that no one needs a cell phone, they are merely a convenience.  To prove my point, let me ask you to try something (which I doubt that you will)....turn off your cell phone, place it in a drawer, and leave it there for 30 days, then come back here and tell me if you were able to survive without that cell phone for that 30 day period.  Yes, I'm sure that you could survive without that cell phone, and that's my point....no one NEEDS a cell phone, they are merely a convenience.

Your comments about that scene  "When Harry Met Sally", where they are watching a TV movie and making comments about it to each other over a landline, could never be done with a cell phone because the batteries would die before the movie was over.  No so with a landline. 

Years ago, I had just started dating a woman...we lived in neighboring states, and she called me on a Saturday, and we chatted for 24 hours straight, on our landlines.  That could never happen with a cell phone, right?  The batteries would die off long before that, but no so with a landline.  It was that landline conversation, that we got to know each other a lot better, just exchanging thoughts about many things, and we ended up dating for about a year.  If we had cell phones back then, that would have never happened, but heck, cell phones are better, right?

LaRue, look, I will never change your opinion about cell phones, and no one will ever change my opinion about cell phones, so why beat a dead horse?  I hate cell phones and you love cell phones, so that's pretty much all there is to say, don't you agree?

See, here's the thing Hammer...

I'm very open about changing my mind about (just about) anything, when I'm presented with evidence. You are on the other hand, are at this point embarrassing unable it seems to not cherry pick random things eg, "what is the battery goes dead", "Everyone who uses them are rude and wasting time" 

I don't "love" cells. I see that in this year 2017 it is a very useful tool to use. In a year, 5 years, decade, etc. there will be better devices, unrealted to what we are using today, and it at some point will make sense both time and money wise, to use them. 

I'm not sure what I, or anyone else would gain by "putting the cell in a drawer and try to function without it." to prove some "point"  Ok, sure. I have no doubt I'd function, but would not be able to take advantage of any of the things it provides that enhances my life. What would this prove exactly Hammer? That I could wear a hair shirt and trudge through my days? I don't have to accept loosing money and time to prove I can make my life unnecessarily annoying and unproductive.

On the other hand, when someone is shown good examples of how current technology is useful and desirable, and continuously falls back on anecdotal, dated and downright silly arguments, it shows the signs of a closed mind. One I've got no interest in communicating with anymore frankly. I think you're just bored, and know that your repeating the same oft challenged "facts" (oh wait, opinions) is just something for you to do. Just as I said in my first post in this thread, you're enjoying being rather thick about this whole thing. That's fine, but eventually you'll just have to take your ball and go home, because others will get tired on playing with you. 

You do understand, as Kit said above, that you can charge your cell and use it at the same time, right? I've talked for hours to someone in another country, and the battery charge hardly diminished. You do get that if you choose to use the phone function,  you can talk for much longer than the length of a show, don't you? You could even have a wireless charger where you place the phone on the device, put it on speaker, and in 15 minutes you'd be fully charged, without even limiting your movements to the length of the wire. You do know that cars built today have a hands free feature so you don't have to touch your phone to speak, correct? Where I live it's illegal to drive and be touching your phone. You can also charge your phone while driving as well.

In other words, you apparantly know little about how the device actually operates, and that it's fairly hard to run out of battery power unless you're willfully ignorant about it. All this with being proud of the fact that you're against it, even when you don't know what "it" is. 

Have fun Hammer. Bye.

Fraser

I personally would like to see this thread end.  The way to have that happen is to stop posting replies.  So I request that you like this post to join in no longer responding.

for once I will like my own post (if you can still do that.

Join the movement !

Hammer
32 minutes ago, Fraser said:

I personally would like to see this thread end.  The way to have that happen is to stop posting replies.  So I request that you like this post to join in no longer responding.

for once I will like my own post (if you can still do that.

Join the movement !

Fraser, that's what I tried to do with the last post I made, but apparently, LaRue has to get in the last word, so she continued it.  She has her thoughts about it and I have my thoughts about it, so let's just leave it at that.

OneEye
2 hours ago, Fraser said:

I personally would like to see this thread end.

Really? I don't understand that? If you had to pay for the bandwidth...I'd understand that. It's the Internet...it's for people to share their thoughts and opinions. You're tired of what's said here...don't click on it. If memory serves me...this isn't the first time you've suggested a conversation be "shut down"!

Dave_KC
9 hours ago, Fraser said:

Unfortunately having an opinion is not appreciated on this site.

I have plenty of those...  opinions.  I have a couple of cell phones too, along with a couple of tablets, laptops, Chromebooks, and a few other things laying around.

LaRue
15 hours ago, Fraser said:

Unfortunately having an opinion is not appreciated on this site.

Not so Fraser.

However, making black and white statements, such as above, or that a particular item is useless, period, end stop, and promoting that as "just my opinion" causes me to wonder how well thought out the opinion is. 

An opinion is something that is formulated by considering various sources of information, willingness to change that opinion based on new information presented, and not merely employing some personal dogma.

Some people view changing an opinion, especially if it's one that was just a visceral gushing as a sign of weakness. 

Also, correct me if I'm wrong Fraser, but you do have the option of not even looking at this particular thread, especially if it's for some reason bothering you. 

Personally, I think this thread has been a great insight into a number of members personalities. We're not all just walking around thinking about our blood glucose level 24/7. I'm enjoying reading a lot of comments made. Feel like I'm able to develop connections. 

Frankly, your above statement is rather passive agressive. I have fallen into it by even adressing it so far, but I'm not going to be someone who rushes to say "oh no no fraser, we all appreciate your opinions! Here, lets all (((fraser))).

Not having the same opinion isn't the same as not appreciating it. Take it or leave it for what it's worth.

I can appreciate the idea that you'd like this thread to just quietly go away. I can get that you presented it as some sort of joining of forces where you'd like people just not respond with anything. Then, if someone does comment, you can state no one appreciates the team building exercise you propose of joining together and doing nothing.

I'm so past the whole initial subject matter. But that doesn't mean there's been lack of appreciation, or conversely, willingness to just "make nice" and becoming as bland and featureless as possible. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.