Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oblivious

Going vegan is good for you?

oblivious

So I assume we can all agree that our diet affects our health.

I became a vegetarian 18 months ago and I have seen my blood pressure get better and I feel better.

This has made me curious on benefits and risks of beeing a vegan, getting the nutrition I need and how it will affect my blood glucose and insulin needs. 

An acquaintant went vegan on advice from a dietitian, after he had a heart attack, surgery and high blood pressure.

He is now perfectly healthy and off medication.

I see so much empirical data on why beeing a vegan can be good for you, even as a diabetic it can improve our health a lot.

After watching this documentary, I am convinced to at least try it and see what it can do for me.

So I hope you will be open minded about this and see what you think about the data presented in this documentary.

It can be found on Netflix or other places online.

Let me know what you think.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/whatthehealth

dowling gram

You don't have to be vegan to eat a healthy diet. Actually a LCHF diet is good for you and you don't have to figure out how to get enough protein. Actually vegans eat a lot of beans for the protein and beans are high in carbs so I don't think a strictly vegan diet is good for a diabetic but it doesn't hurt to borrow some recipes and tweek them to fit the diabetic lifestyle

control

When people talk about which is the best diet, it is almost a guarantee that they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.  For starters, it has to be defined what is meant by "healthy".  To claim that one particular diet is superior for all 7 billion people on earth is the epitome of haughtiness.  There are a lot of factors that go into what constitutes a healthy diet.  Geographic location, health issues, ethnicity and allergies are but a few of these factors.  If a healthy diet is defined as a diet that provides the probability of maximum benefit for prolonged longevity, it may be that a person has one or more conditions with conflicting dietary conditions that makes having such a diet very difficult.  Dietary requirements are very much an individual thing.

You state you haven't even tried the vegan diet, yet you are espousing it as something wonderful, even for diabetics.  What if you try it and find that it wreaks havoc on your sugar levels?  Of all the diets on the market, why is it that vegans are the most dogmatic?  You've not even vegan yet and you're already pushing for others to try it.  That should give you a serious moment of pause.   

I see so much empirical data on why beeing a vegan can be good for you, even as a diabetic it can improve our health a lot.

There was a lot of data on the food pyramid when it came out, too.  It was later discovered that the food industry largely influenced the US food pyramid.  Magazine articles and videos do not constitute empirical data.  And data isn't evidence.  Actual results are what should drive decisions, not data.  Data can be falsified, misinterpreted or derived from an incomplete understanding of the facts.  Even if you were to concede that something can be good for you, doesn't mean that it is good for you.  There are plenty of people on this very board who have the exact opposite diet as vegan and have controlled their diabetes (myself included).  That is actual evidence that their diets are healthy for them.

I've read statistics that up to 84% of vegetarians and vegans eventually abandon their diet.  It's good if vegetarianism (or veganism) works for you, but that doesn't mean that it will work for everyone. 

FunDad62

"I became a vegetarian 18 months ago and I have seen my blood pressure get better and I feel better."

"After watching this documentary, I am convinced to at least try it and see what it can do for me."

I'm confused?

macksvicky

I'm confused?

Me too. I had to re-read it to make sure I read it correctly the first time. Maybe some clarification will be forthcoming?

FunDad62

My boss stopped eating meat about 4 months ago.  She talks about it frequently.  Said she feels a lot better and lost some weight (she's not overweight).  She just went overseas for a vacation and managed to stay meat-free.  I started watching these documentaries after she told me about them.  They're very interesting and persuading.  I don't think I'll ever be anything but a carnivore but I have started cutting back and paying more attention to how much meat I eat.  Bought a juicer too and do that once in awhile.  Anytime I make a juice and drink it I feel more alert the next day.  No lie.

I'll watch this new one.  I love shows like this.  Informative and you learn something.  At the same time it's depressing to hear all the statistics and realize what a death-grip the industries have on making sure people keep eating unhealthy.  Always makes ya wonder....are there cures for some diseases out there that are being kept hidden?  I saw a video recently where a doctor said 87% of chemotherapy is completely ineffective.  But the reason doctor's keep prescribing is it's one of the few treatments they get a direct financial kickback on.  I have no idea if that's true but it sure would be sad if it is.

OldTech

FYI: The folks over in r/ketoscience consider 'whatthehealth' a vegan propaganda piece based on cherry-picked facts.

Moonpie

Me too. I had to re-read it to make sure I read it correctly the first time. Maybe some clarification will be forthcoming?

Vegetarians are not the same as vegans. Vegans have alot more restrictions. Far too many for me.

oblivious

You don't have to be vegan to eat a healthy diet. Actually a LCHF diet is good for you and you don't have to figure out how to get enough protein. Actually vegans eat a lot of beans for the protein and beans are high in carbs so I don't think a strictly vegan diet is good for a diabetic but it doesn't hurt to borrow some recipes and tweek them to fit the diabetic lifestyle

When people talk about which is the best diet, it is almost a guarantee that they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.  For starters, it has to be defined what is meant by "healthy".  

I`m sorry that I made you feel like I am trying to convince you to go vegan, that is not my intention.

As you say, I haven`t tried it yet so I am still in the dark in regard to how it will affect me.

I just hope people can be open minded and see for them selves what they think if they see the documentary.

After that we can discuss the content of the documentary.

And this is what i meant by empirical data, in case I made that confusing as well.

http://study.com/academy/lesson/empirical-data-definition-example.html

We can of course find arguments to discredit the validity of any scientific study, but that`s a rabbit hole we can go down another day. 

I'm confused?

I have been a vegetarian, this is about veganism.

OneEye

There are herbivores, carnivores and omnivores. You'll never see a cow chasing down another animal, killing it and eating it. They're herbivores. Carnivores? When's the last time you saw a lion pickin' berries off a bush? They eat meat...period.

Humans? We've developed, over the millenniums, the ability to eat and digest whatever we don't throw up. Fire and agriculture...two changes to our diet. You don't wanna eat meat? Fine. More for me! :)

control

I`m sorry that I made you feel like I am trying to convince you to go vegan, that is not my intention.

As you say, I haven`t tried it yet so I am still in the dark in regard to how it will affect me.

No offense taken, but I wonder what exactly you're trying to accomplish with your post.   I'm not the most active member, but I've seen a few posts lately that take the form of, "Try this and let me know how it turns out".  If you haven't tried the diet yourself, what can be gained by others being "open-minded" enough to try it?  That seems a bit peculiar to me, is all.   Honestly, you have no idea yourself if the diet will have a positive effect on diabetics, but are peddling the diet as if the information in the video is factual.  For all you know, a vegan diet can cause a diabetic's sugar to spin out of control.  Diabetes is a serious disease with serious consequences.  You are suggesting a course of management that could lead to a negative outcome.  

For comparison, look at the diet that the American Diabetes Associate suggests.  It is a disaster of a diet for diabetics.  They are an organization with money and doctors and all the information at their fingertips and they cannot even suggest a diet that makes sense for people with diabetes.  Even though it has long been known that their recommendations are outdated and wrong. 

A better approach would have been to try the diet for some amount of time (say, 6 months) and then report your findings.  Along the lines of, you were vegetarian for 18 months and your blood sugars were this during that time.  Then you switched to veganism and this what my blood sugars were during that period.  That wouldn't qualify as scientific findings, but at least you'd have some anecdotal data with which to explore why your sugars behaved in the way they did.  You can begin to examine why your sugars went up, down or stayed relatively flat. 

I think it's important to add that being open-minded does not mean giving equal credence to every idea.  Some ideas are simply not worthy of consideration.  Depending on the claim, ideas should treated with some amount of skepticism until such time they are shown to have at least some degree of credibility.   This is especially true of things you find on the internet.  

FunDad62

In the end it all boils down to common sense.  Eating healthy isn't rocket science.  We all know what's healthy and what's not.  I believe it's a combination of all these things.  Moderation.

Eat less, move more.

OneEye

We all know what's healthy and what's not.

I'm sure who the "we all" is you're talking about. Take a stroll through Walmart some time...maybe you could hand out flyers! :)

FunDad62

Lol...yeah when I said that I mean us smart DF folks!

I'm sure who the "we all" is you're talking about. Take a stroll through Walmart some time...maybe you could hand out flyers! :)

I watched that documentary last night.  Very interesting and again, convincing.  I might try it for a couple weeks and just see what happens.  I just ordered a book by one of the doctor's on that show.  Never hurts to try I suppose.

jwags

I had terrible GI problems about a year ago. My doctor suggested that I give up dairy. I resisted at first since that was a lot of what I ate in a LCHF diet. I gave up dairy and all meat and my GI problems disappeared within 3 days. I do enjoy the vegan lifestyle and I made it through chemo with almost no problems or nausea. I did have to add a second diabstes med because I am eating more healthy grains, but my bgs are pretty good. My HbA1 c actually dropped from 6.8 to 6.1 on a vegan diet.

stevenal

Was that a Chick-fil-a cow?

Eat Mor Chikin, I think it fits. And Cow Appreciation Day was just two days ago. 

oblivious
On 8.7.2017 at 1:49 AM, control said:

You are suggesting a course of management that could lead to a negative outcome.   

I see what you are saying, and I do agree with some of your post.
But I am not actually suggesting a course of management, I am suggesting to take a look at the video and review the data it presents.

After that we can discuss it`s contents, if we think it is beneficial or harmful.

"So I hope you will be open minded about this and see what you think about the data presented in this documentary.

It can be found on Netflix or other places online.

Let me know what you think."

This is how I mean we should be open minded. We can discuss content and ideas presented to us, and in that way make an informed decision about our diet and lives. Instead of fearing persuasion from something we don`t agree with. Reacting with dramatics and feelings blinds us.

If more people have experience with this or are considering it, I would like to know about it and talk about it.
And since the documentary had an impact on me, I would like to know what others think about it, especially diabetics.

I might just be reacting out of emotion aswell, so it`s good to have several people to weigh in on what we are presented.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.