Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneHappyGardener

How could this be-A1c dropped fr 6.1 to 5.7-not complaining though!

OneHappyGardener

65 yr old female

5'7"  140 lbs , retired but active -- 4 hours of cardio, strength and yoga exercise once a week and extensive garden/yard work fr early summer to fall (my dirt therapy!)

September 2016 A1c  6.0

January 2017 A1c  6.1.

July 3, 2017 A1c  5.7

I thought that once you were pre-diabetic that it was nearly impossible to reduce A1c by more than .2  ?

The things I have been doing different since January 2017 are:

1)  improved my diet somewhat, drinking more water. 

2)  Added a one-hour long cardio class to my weekly fitness routine (already doing 2 pilates and 1 yoga class) every week)

3)  I did have vein surgery on both legs in March and April in case that matters

4)  I added these supplements to my daily regime of calcium citrate, D4 and a multi-vitamin:

-- ceylon cinnamon 1,000 mg  1 / once a day

-- gymnema sylvestre leaf extract (75% gymnemic acids) 550 mg  2 / once a day

-- magnesium glycinate 400 mg  2 / once a day

-- tumeric with piperine - tumeric (curcuma long) root 1,200 mg, tumeric P.E. 95% curcuminoids 100 mg, piperine 10 mg   2 / once a day

--no new meds...been on pravastatin 10 mg  1 / once a day and armour thyroid 120 mg  1 / once a day for 10 years and both are monitored regularly

Thanks for the feedback!

Fraser

Good work, but all your A1cs are really within the potential error of the lab equipment, so I am not sure why you would be limited to an improvement of 0.2 So keep up the good work. Great job

Other people's thoughts?

Todd G.

Don't know where you got the idea that you couldn't lower your a1c more than .2. Many folks on this forumhave lowered their 4, 5, 6, and even 7 whole points or more. Adjust your diet and you could be in the 4's, but you're safe where you are, so don't worry, be happy.

Kit

I was just thinking the same thing. I halved my A1C from 10.4 to 5.2 in 6 months. Anyone who tells you you can't get normal numbers just because you're diabetic or pre diabetic is full of it.

samuraiguy

My lab has small print on their A1C explanation page saying it can be off by +/- .5, lol. I had a torn meniscus, surgery, gained weight, exercised very little, ate the same amount of carbs and surprisingly my A1C remained at 5.6. Could have simply been adding the cardio and eating a little less carbs in your case.

Fraser

A side thought. I have reduced my A1c from 12.0 to 5.7 now diet and exercise only. Looking at the site today I wondered what my next goal should be.

Well I think I should concentrate on enjoying where I am with my limitations. sounds good to me. So I will take a deep breath, relax and continue on.

dowling gram

The whole point of this forum is to help people gain control of their blood glucose. How well you are doing is proven by a lower A1C. That is why we have regular A1C's done. It is possible to drop your A1C by way more than that .2 in a very short time

NoraWI

Sounds to me as though you lead a very active life. I commend you. This is just a thought that struck me... your "pre-diabetes" may be due to the statin you have been taking. Diabetes is one of the listed side effects of statins.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.