Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madrehen

Confusing Fasting Blood Sugars

madrehen

Hello,

At the recommendation of my brother who was recently diagnosed with type 2, I bought a glucose strip monitor and began to check my fasting blood sugars.  It has been 2 1/2 weeks and I have been watching my numbers climb - 97, 107, 112, 104, 105, 116, 118, 114, 116 and so on.  I started testing after meals - 1 and 2 hours and never get anything above 120.  I got my a1c checked at dr office on Sat  - it is 5.4.   I supposedly have polycystic ovary syndrome and I have been on thyroid meds for 22 years.  

So, I am trying to figure out what is going on with my fasting numbers if "I'm fine" according to dr.

Thanks for your help!

Todd G.

Those numbers are very slightly high from perfect, but nothing to worry about. Your a1c is still good, but ideal is mid to upper 4's.

samuraiguy

If you are over age 40 then your A1C is comparable to non-insulin resistant people of your age (NIH study = 5.3 +/- 0.3). Meters can be off by as much as 20% so go with the A1C rather than stressing over individual readings that are only a snap shot and can be influenced by test strip quality, cleanliness of the test site and size of blood sample, etc... Did the lab include a fasting blood glucose test with the A1C? If so, what was their result? It will probably be more accurate than your meter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.