Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fmitchelltx

Januvia?

fmitchelltx
When I was first diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes years ago, I asked my doctor about Januvia. He was not a fan and said he did not feel that it worked. He gave me a sample bottle and I tried it. I did not see any difference at all. That doctor has since retired.

I went to my current PCP last week. my A1C was high so my doctor added Januvia to my medicines (Lantus and Humalog). I told him at that time last week that I had tried Januvia before with no results. He wanted me to try it again. The doctors office submitted the RX to Optum RX and I received the medicine yesterday. I took one pill yesterday as directed. I went to bed last night with blood sugar  sugar of 73. This morning I woke up with a blood sugar reading of 175.  This has been my problem prior to taking Januvia. The other problem is that I am billed $140 for a 3 month RX of Januvia that I am now on the hook for. 

If it does not work, I am still having to pay for this prescription that does not work, I can't afford to do that. 

I have called the doctors office and am waiting om a return call.

My question is, does Januvia work? I have only taken one pill but read on the internet that Januvia works immediately. What are your experiences with Januvia? Is there anything I can do since I do not believe it works? Is there a way to try other medicines that may work better without paying $140 to try? My doctor has never given me samples of any medicine. I do not know if he has samples.

Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

macksvicky

I tried Januvia years ago, was on it for a couple or three years at the highest dose at $100.00 per month. As I really got to looking at all the side effects and learned about low carb eating (thanks to all the educated folks here) so I quit taking the Januvia, cold turkey. It made no difference in my numbers at all! It had absolutely no lowering effect or else it would have gone up when I stopped taking them. So I wasted a ton of money for no good reason at all other than making money for the pharma industry. So LCHF, metformin and some Lantus and I'm good to go now.

But that's me...your mileage may vary.

carol098

I have not seen a dramatic change with Januvia, but I am able to eat some carbs and keep my bg at or lower than I could with zero carbs.

So I am pleased that it has helped me stay stable.

Dave_KC

I used it when first diagnosed, and I think it helped, especially at first as I was starting to get things under control and get my diet in order.  That said, it's exorbitantly high, and being on a high deductible plan, I was looking at $385 a month from the WalMart pharmacy.  I eventually was able to use their helps program and Merck actually provided it at no cost to me for a year.  Then I got my numbers so good they pulled me off of it (my A1c in May was 5.0).  

I do think it helps some, and on the positive, it seems to not have extreme side effects for most (but some have complained about joint issues with it).  

I think it worked, but it was a supplemental med, not a frontline med.  And no med will ultimately resolve diet issues. 

fmitchelltx

Thank you/ I guess I will stay with it for awhile and see what happens since I have a 90 day supply. Hopefully, I will see positive results and will not just have thrown money away.

Mikael26288

I was on it for a month or two and never seen any improvements, so my Doctor switched me to something else.

fmitchelltx

I am not seeing any results after a few weeks. I tried it several years ago and did not see any results. My doctor did not think highly of it, The doctor I was seeing at that time has since retired. I told my current PCP that I did not have positive results with it the first time. He wanted me to try it again. $140 later it still does not work. I am not happy with my PCP at this time obviously.

Ahnanimus

I have recently been diagnosed and my FBG at that time was 183 . I've been taking Januvia for 3 weeks now and my FBG ranges between 112 and 128. I also eat low carb.

I would like to see lower FBG numbers and I'm hoping that exercise can do that, unfortunately, I have had peripheral neuropathy for years and it has worsened now so I'm not as mobile as I would like.

Dave_KC
On 7/20/2017 at 8:00 PM, Ahnanimus said:

I have recently been diagnosed and my FBG at that time was 183 . I've been taking Januvia for 3 weeks now and my FBG ranges between 112 and 128. I also eat low carb.

I would like to see lower FBG numbers and I'm hoping that exercise can do that, unfortunately, I have had peripheral neuropathy for years and it has worsened now so I'm not as mobile as I would like.

Controlling diet often does more than meds do. :)

dowling gram

When I was diagnosed 4 years ago my doctor started me on Metforman. 10 minutes after I took the first pill the side effects kicked in and steadily got worse. By the 3rd day they were so bad I ditched the pills and went back to my doctor. She put me on Januvia and I've been on it ever since. With diet and Januvia my A1C has been in the normal range since my first A1C at 4 months. Of course being new to diabetes maybe my numbers were not so good at first but other than testing food I wasn't too concerned about numbers in general.

Give it time to build up in your system. I do know that when my husband was sick there were times I forgot to take my pill and thought my next A1C would be higher because off all the missed pills. However my next A1C showed my number was slightly lower. I think any diabetes pill has to build up in your system and takes a while to leave it.

Moonpie

I went to my dr this morning & she gave me a 14 day sample pack of Januvia to see if it works.  I already take 1000 metformin, but don't want to increase that due to the toilet issues, so I'm hoping the Januvia will work or me.

Dave_KC

Januvia definitely doesn't have the toilet issues that some have with Metformin.  Also, there's two versions of Metformin, one is the standard version, the other is the extended release.  I'm on the ER version of Metformin, and have not had toilet issues at all, so that might help too.  

fmitchelltx

Iam just not seeing any results from Januvia after abiut 3 weeks. I took Metformin for about 5 years. Everything was fine ubtil the last mpnths I took it. Then it was the toilet issues. Doctor then put me on Glipizide. Took it for about 3 + months and the toilet issues started again. I would like to try one of the new injectibles, Toujeo, etc. but the co pay is higher for that than Januvia. 

Is there anything else that is not expensive I can ask my doctor about? I have never tried the Metformon ER. What is the copay like?

Thanks 

Kit

Copays will totally depend on your insurance company.  I take 500mg Metformin ER twice a day.  My copay can vary.  Its usually a couple of bucks.  Last time I picked it up I didn't have a copay at all.

I had a brief stint when my insurance had switched but I didn't have the information yet.  I think it was around $6 for that month.

jwags

I still need to take 2000 mg of metformin ER with 100 mg of Januvia. I was hoping my ENDO would put me on basal insulin but she is afraid of lows. I told her I never get lows. I think Januvia is one of the weaker incretin drugs but it does work for me for the time being. I still have high bgs if I overeat carbs. My copay is $47 until next month when I hit the doughnut hole. Then I think I pay $175 a month for the rest of the year.

fmitchelltx

My copay is high for Januvia considering I must buy Lantus, Humalog, and another med. I just don't have the money each month for all of these copays. I am not eligible for patient assistance as I am just over the income threshold. Another person on here suggested Metformin ER, I can't take regular Metformin as it causes often trips to the bathroom. Has anyone else had good results with Metformin ER? I am going to speak to my doctors office tomorrow.

Thanks 

Kit

I've been taking Metformin ER since I was diagnosed in Jan 2014.

The first week I had some very very mild gastric issues.  As in I'd go to the bathroom a couple of times in the morning, but no emergencies.  It repeated when I upped to twice a day.  Again very mild.

As for how it helps, I was diagnosed with an A1C of 10.4.

Within 6 months I was down to 5.2.  My latest (3 days ago) was 4.8.

Now how much of that is due to Metformin and how much to lifestyle changes, I'm not sure.  I do a very low carbb\keto diet of usually under 30g total carbs per day.  I also do a lot of walking, use an exercise bike and some weights.  Though not as much of that lately as I had broken my ankle and have only been off crutches for about 3 weeks now.

If I can keep my A1C under 5.0 in my next blood test, I'll go a head and try reducing my Met dose to see what happens to my control.

I understand that the higher your carb intake, the worse gastric affects you can get from Met.

fmitchelltx

Thank you. Optum RX, my maul order pharmacy, is going to contact my doctor and see if he will prescribe it. I will be calling my doctors office in the morning and see what they say. If it causes problems again, I do not want to take it. I guess I will fond out what the doc says and go from there.

Kit

Looking at your first post again I am confused. You're on fast and slow acting insulin but having high numbers?  Have you looked at your dosing  for those? Perhaps they need to be adjusted? 

We have a few T2s here on the forum who treat with a mix of fast  and slow acting insulins and have pretty good control. It should be possible as long as you are careful on dosing properly. 

fmitchelltx

Yes, I am on both Lantus and Humalog.I could take a bit more but I alreasy take 105 units of Humalog and 50units of Lantus per day. Don't know hoe much ,ore I could take without major lows.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.