Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uff Da

One piece of BG craziness solved

Uff Da

Some of you may recall the frustrations I went through earlier this year with far higher blood glucose readings in spite of using close to the same insulin to carbohydrate ratios that I'd used for the past four years. It was scary to give myself the higher doses of insulin that it appeared I needed, so I hesitated to change and my A1c went up to 6.1, the highest it has been since I've been on insulin. Finally, after using the Freestyle Libre Pro from my endo's office, I accepted that the changes were sufficiently consistent that I changed my breakfast ratio from 1:4 to 1:2.5 and lunch and dinner ratio from 1:7 to 1:4. But there were still inconsistencies that just didn't seem to have an explanation.

Well, after my liver enzymes went up in my June 13 lab work, I assumed the culprit was the 1000 mg niacin I'd been taking for the previous several months.  So I dropped the niacin.  Surprise!  My blood glucose started coming down. It hadn't occurred to me in the least that that might have been the culprit. The times of day I took it weren't always consistent because of my terrible sleep habits, so that may have influenced some fluctuations in my BG readings, too.

But I can't help but wonder - how many of the other prescription and OTC medications might be influencing my BG? I know they sure can influence my blood pressure. I've read the warnings that one should take calcium and magnesium supplements or eat/drink dairy products at least two hours from certain blood pressure medications. The problem is one is not supposed to take more than 500 mg of calcium at a time because it can't all be absorbed with too much at once. And I have osteoporosis, so need to get plenty of calcium with food and supplements. Plus to control my blood pressure I need three different blood pressure meds, each taken at a different time of day. Calculating when to take what gets complicated!

Now I need to go back through all the 14-15 pills I still take a day to see if there are additional things that might influence my blood pressure or blood glucose or need to be taken apart from food. 

jwags

I take calcium several times a day and often with my BP med. I also take magnesium before bed and thst is when I take a BP med. I also have Osteoperosis

Uff Da

There is one major difference between your situation and mine, though, jwags. You don't really need your blood pressure med for lowering your BP. So if it is less effective by taking it at the same time as calcium, it is no biggie. On the other hand, I'm taking three different BP meds. And even still my SBP the last week has ranged in the morning between 149 and 165. Even some of my postprandial SBP readings lately, which are often under 100 have been in the 140s. So I can't help but wonder what factors might be influencing this yo-yo effect of my BP from week to week.

The literature that came with my AlgaeCal Plus, which contains minerals I take for my osteoporosis, warns against taking it within two hours of blood pressure meds. I also found the following on the Drugs.com drug interaction checklist:

Using bisoprolol together with calcium carbonate may decrease the effects of bisoprolol. Separate the administration times of bisoprolol and calcium carbonate by at least 2 hours. If your doctor does prescribe these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special test to safely use both medications.

macksvicky

Calcium doesn't play nice with antibiotics either. But if you're not taking antibiotics, that won't explain your yo-yo BP readings either.

Uff Da

Well, thank goodness I'm not on any antibiotics. In fact, I don't think I've been on one in years, more than a decade, in fact. I think if I did need an antibiotic I'd just skip the calcium temporarily. Usually an antibiotic is just for a relatively short time, but the need for it is much more urgent - like when I had e.coli and c.difficile at the same time. Now that was a fun time!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.