Jump to content
Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

    Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShottleBop

New low-carb chocolate find

Recommended Posts

ShottleBop
I was at my local Trader Joe's this past weekend, and picked up a couple of bars of "Montezuma's Dark Chocolate Absolute Black," made from 100% cocoa solids with cocoa nibs. It comes in 100-gram bars (four 25-gram servings). It's vegan. Nutritional info (per serving):

 

Calories 150

Total Fat 14 g

Saturated 8 g

Polyunsaturated 0 g

Monounsaturated 0 g

Trans 0 g

Total Carbs 6 g

Dietary Fiber 4 g

Sugars 0 g

Protein 3 g

Cholesterol 0 mg

Sodium 0 mg

Potassium 0 mg

 

It is absolutely delicious--far better than even my usual Ghirardelli 100% cacao baking chocolate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShottleBop
On 7/16/2017 at 0:16 PM, ran23 said:

I was surprised it isn't full of 'sugar alcohol' instead.  Trying it with red wine.   $2.49 here

$2.49 here, as well.  Hey, it's 100% cocoa liquor and nibs--no sweeteners at all.  Tastes surprisingly good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serenityearly
On 7/12/2017 at 4:39 PM, ShottleBop said:
I was at my local Trader Joe's this past weekend, and picked up a couple of bars of "Montezuma's Dark Chocolate Absolute Black," made from 100% cocoa solids with cocoa nibs. It comes in 100-gram bars (four 25-gram servings). It's vegan. Nutritional info (per serving):

 

 

 

 

Calories 150

 

 

Total Fat 14 g

 

 

Saturated 8 g

 

 

Polyunsaturated 0 g

 

 

Monounsaturated 0 g

 

 

Trans 0 g

 

 

Total Carbs 6 g

 

 

Dietary Fiber 4 g

 

 

Sugars 0 g

 

 

Protein 3 g

 

 

Cholesterol 0 mg

 

 

Sodium 0 mg

 

 

Potassium 0 mg

 

 

 

 

 

It is absolutely delicious--far better than even my usual Ghirardelli 100% cacao baking chocolate.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serenityearly

Hi ShottleBop,

 

i am new here. Is the Montezuma Chocolate bitter. I like smooth dark chocolate but I find most dark chocolates to be very bitter. I am looking for an alternative to the sweet milk chocolate that I love. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

Hi Serenityearly, Welcome to the forum.

Theres great support & advice here so feel free to introduce yourself.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/18-introductions-and-announcements/

 

I'm not a chocoholic but occasionally buy Frey extra dark 85% which is nice & smooth. Its made in Switzerland.

18g carbs in 100g although I doubt anyone could eat that much in one sitting. 3g in two large squares.

 

Have you tried making your own chocolate treat using coconut oil?

mix the c oil, cocoa & splenda plus whatever flavour you prefer. Nuts are nice or chopped ginger.

Cover a plate with baking paper & spread the mixture over it & allow to set in the fridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShottleBop
40 minutes ago, Serenityearly said:

Hi ShottleBop,

 

i am new here. Is the Montezuma Chocolate bitter. I like smooth dark chocolate but I find most dark chocolates to be very bitter. I am looking for an alternative to the sweet milk chocolate that I love. Thanks!

I do not find the Montezuma's Absolute Black to be at all bitter.  (But, I have to admit, I've been eating 100%  cacao chocolate bars for 9 years, now.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fraser

lol all non sweetened chocolate is bitter.    Personally I add the bitter chocolate to way too sugary things like yogurt, the bitter and sweets even out, and less carbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serenityearly

I've had a Dove dark chocolate that was really smooth and delicious but I am sure it is loaded with sugar. I haven't had one in some time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serenityearly
1 hour ago, adiantum said:

Hi Serenityearly, Welcome to the forum.

Theres great support & advice here so feel free to introduce yourself.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/18-introductions-and-announcements/

 

I'm not a chocoholic but occasionally buy Frey extra dark 85% which is nice & smooth. Its made in Switzerland.

18g carbs in 100g although I doubt anyone could eat that much in one sitting. 3g in two large squares.

 

Have you tried making your own chocolate treat using coconut oil?

mix the c oil, cocoa & splenda plus whatever flavour you prefer. Nuts are nice or chopped ginger.

Cover a plate with baking paper & spread the mixture over it & allow to set in the fridge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serenityearly

Wow! I'm gonna make this! Is there any particular specific measures like 1 tablespoons of... Can you give me a consistency (thick, runny, chunky, etc.)? I love nuts in chocolate! I am putting these items in my grocery list. Thanks for the recipe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum

Sorry, I dont measure just taste as I go.

 

Coconut oil is a great friend of diabetics.

again no recipe  or .measurements, but I just mix c.oil & peanut butter  & allow that to chill & cut it into squares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adiantum
1 hour ago, Serenityearly said:

Wow! I'm gonna make this! Is there any particular specific measures like 1 tablespoons of... Can you give me a consistency (thick, runny, chunky, etc.)? I love nuts in chocolate! I am putting these items in my grocery list. Thanks for the recipe!

It will be runny. Coconut oil is runny when its warm or hot & becomes hard when cold.

If its too sweet or too bitter ,then put it in the microwave a few seconds to melt & add more splenda if needed or more coconut oil.

Use the baking paper or it will stick hard to the plate.

 

Be sure to check the recipe section . Also try the 1minute muffins. Cooked in the microwave they calm that craving for a cake with your coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kit
10 hours ago, Serenityearly said:

Wow! I'm gonna make this! Is there any particular specific measures like 1 tablespoons of... Can you give me a consistency (thick, runny, chunky, etc.)? I love nuts in chocolate! I am putting these items in my grocery list. Thanks for the recipe!

 

Do some searches for fat bomb recipes.  There are a ton of them out there.

 

My fvorite one is pretty simple

 

6 Tbsp coconut oil

6 Tbsp Butter

6 Tbsp natural unsweetened peanutbutter (can also use almond or macadamia nut butter too)

3 Tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder

Sweetener to taste.  I like using Davinci SF vanilla syrup or liquid stevia.

 

Put first 3 ingredients in a large measuring cup.  Nuke for 30 second bursts until all ingredients have melted.

Add in cocoa powder and stir.  It will incorporate very easily.

Add sweetener, stir well.  Taste and adjust sweetener to your preference.

 

Poor into molds and freeze for 1 hour.  I like using mini muffin tins.  The recipe above makes 24.  Doing this in a measuring cup means its easy to put the mixture into molds without spilling and making additional messes.  After an hour I pop them out of the molds and store in freezer bags.

 

You can also easily modify the recipe.  Add chopped nuts, shredded coconut, or similar.  Its really versatile.  I just try to keep the ratios the same.  So if I drop the nut butter, I'd add more coconut oil and butter.  Etc.

 

Someone here posted a recipe for milk chocolate that looks amazing.  Only I've never been able to find the original post so here's what I copied out.

 

-----

 

MILK CHOCOLATE

 

1/2 cup of melted coconut oil, doesn't have to be hot.
1/4 cup of cocoa
splenda to taste
pinch of salt
I then added 5 tblsp of heavy cream (estimating), I really just poured some in till it looked right.

The heavy cream acted like an emulsifier and the chocolate became very homogeneous. I poured it into an ice cube tray and put it in the freezer, didn't freeze it, only left it in there maybe 15 minutes or so. It hardened up quite nicely and the taste and texture was realllllly goooooood.

Made a second batch and added walnuts and whole flaxseed

 

I made another batch, changed the ratio

1/2 cup CO melted
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup splenda
pinch salt

The chocolate was slightly fudge like, but it did harden like it should. Taste/texture were outstanding.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serenityearly

Thank you again! I've been missing my milk chocolate or any chocolate for that matter. This will help tremendously during times I really crave it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serenityearly
19 hours ago, adiantum said:

Hi Serenityearly, Welcome to the forum.

Theres great support & advice here so feel free to introduce yourself.

http://www.diabetesforums.com/forums/forum/18-introductions-and-announcements/

 

I'm not a chocoholic but occasionally buy Frey extra dark 85% which is nice & smooth. Its made in Switzerland.

18g carbs in 100g although I doubt anyone could eat that much in one sitting. 3g in two large squares.

 

Have you tried making your own chocolate treat using coconut oil?

mix the c oil, cocoa & splenda plus whatever flavour you prefer. Nuts are nice or chopped ginger.

Cover a plate with baking paper & spread the mixture over it & allow to set in the fridge.

I made this today! I added a little vanilla flavoring & chopped nuts. They are delicious! I put leftovers in freezer for next cravings for chocolate! 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meyery2k
10 hours ago, Serenityearly said:

Thank you again! I've been missing my milk chocolate or any chocolate for that matter. This will help tremendously during times I really crave it! 

I loved chocolate milk and have managed to make one even my children will drink...

I take 1 Tbsp. of heavy whipping cream.

Add 240g (8 oz.) of almond milk.  If it is unflavored, I put a dash of vanilla extract into it.  I often just buy the vanilla flavored unsweetened variety and then no extract.

16g Hershey's SF chocolate syrup

2 or 3 packets of Splenda depending on how sweet I want it.

Sometimes I add a dash of peppermint extract too.

 

This also works well with lemon extract to make a lemon flavored treat (no chocolate lol...)

 

I found the cream adds the body to this drink that comes pretty close to milk.

 

My non-diabetic children will drink my supply dry if I make it because then they have to have it too.  Whether 3, 13, or 33, they are always the same ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Serenityearly
12 hours ago, meyery2k said:

I loved chocolate milk and have managed to make one even my children will drink...

I take 1 Tbsp. of heavy whipping cream.

Add 240g (8 oz.) of almond milk.  If it is unflavored, I put a dash of vanilla extract into it.  I often just buy the vanilla flavored unsweetened variety and then no extract.

16g Hershey's SF chocolate syrup

2 or 3 packets of Splenda depending on how sweet I want it.

Sometimes I add a dash of peppermint extract too.

 

This also works well with lemon extract to make a lemon flavored treat (no chocolate lol...)

 

I found the cream adds the body to this drink that comes pretty close to milk.

 

My non-diabetic children will drink my supply dry if I make it because then they have to have it too.  Whether 3, 13, or 33, they are always the same ;)

I love this! I used to get the peppermint mocha drink from Chick-Fil-a but it is loaded with sugar. I will do this & add my own peppermint! I am one happy camper! Thank you so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kit

I had an uncontrollable craving for chocolate today and since there is a Trader Joe's less than a block away from work, I walked over to try some.  I figured the walk would make up for the 6g of carbs for a serving.  :D

 

Its a lot better than the standard baker's chocolate I've tried and melts in the mouth nicely.  Definitely bitter, but I may be getting used to it now.  I only managed to eat 4 squares instead of the 6 squares that make up a serving size.

 

I also managed to walk out with a bag of cocoa nibs and jar of peanut butter.  Tomorrow I may do my trick.  A small spoonful of peanut butter dipped in cocoa nibs.  It tastes really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.