Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notme

670g Rollout

notme

So in my opinion, the rollout of the 670g by Medtronic has been very poorly done.   I will try to give you the shorter version of my very long opinion on this subject.  Let me first start by saying I think Medtronic puts out a good product but, this 670g caught them off guard and have left a lot of people hanging.

I started on the 630g last August/Sept with the promise of an upgrade "at no cost to me" in the Spring.  Fair enough, I upgraded and have had a quasi poor opinion of the massive button pushes on this new pump.  

This Spring rolled around and I heard nothing about the 670g.  No message from my sales guy, no email from Medtronic saying it was forth coming.  Finally, at the end of June, I started scouring the Medtronic website for information and stumbled across a blog talking about the priority access program.  Nobody ever mentioned this program to me before.  I posted a question on the blog about the program and asked when the pump would be available.  I got a call a few days later saying I was actually in the priority access program for the upgrade (good to know) but Medtronic said they could not ship the pump until my insurance company verified they would pay for the supplies for the new pump.  

A week later I called and was told my doctor must have his class done on the new pump.  I emailed my doctor and he assured me he had taken their mandatory class.  Then I got an email that said I must pay $299.00 up front for the pump and that money would be slowly refunded as I completed their surveys and questionnaires.  (So much for nothing out of pocket) I think there are four surveys, so eventually you do get it all back.  I paid the money up front.  I was slowly running out of sensors and I called Medtronic to order another box to get me through until I got the new pump.  Nope!!!!! Don't order supplies, I was told, it will set you back from getting your new pump until they are gone.  If you get a three month supply it will set you back three months!!!!  At this point, I am down to three sensors. Eighteen days if all goes well.  My sensors are expired by two weeks and I am told by Medtronic if they fail, they will not replace them.  So I am running on sketchy sensors.  Finally, I get a notification that my pump is shipping and it gets here on Friday.  I start calling the training coordinator so they will set up training before we leave for Europe.  She tells me someone will call me with dates but she doesn't know when because the trainer is on vacation.  WHAT?  They go on vacation during the biggest roll out Medtronic has ever had?  Ok.....there is another trainer.  Perhaps they can get me in with her.

So I have a new pump but they don't sent sensors with the pump.  Sensor orders are generated automatically when you get your new pump.  I am now down to two sensors for the 630g.  I call and ask about getting the new guardian sensors and tell them I am down to two enlite sensors and the rep on the phone says he will get me a box of enlites to hold me over until I get trained on my new pump.  Cool!  No..........not cool.  That stopped my order for Guardian sensors.  I call Medtronic and they said because they sent out a box of Enlites, it is to early to order more sensors according to my insurance.  OMG.  So, I tell them I will send the Enlites back (luckily I didn't open them) and to please exchange them for Guardian sensors so I can get trained.  After about five phone calls to various people they agree.  I am now almost down to about nine days left on my final two expired sensors and of course, it fails.  I get my one box of Guardian sensors and call my trainer coordinator to tell her "I am ready to train".  Still no trainer for me, she will call me next week by Wednesday to give me an update.  I put in my final enlite sensor.  Of course, it's a bleeder.  The sensor fails immediately.  I called Medtronic and they said they will replace it (yes, I lied and omitted the fact it was an expired sensor).  Meanwhile I ask them what I am supposed to do with no training, one enlite sensor and a vacation looming.  They tell me to talk to the coordinator and see when I will get trained.  I did not hear from the cooridinator on Wednesday so I called her Thursday and asked what I was supposed to do.  She said she could not get me in training until after we returned from vacation because their trainer was taking his vacation.   Fair enough, but what do I do for sensors while I am in Europe?  I only have one sensor in transit and a box I can't open because it has to be returned.  They tell me I can get an emergency box of sensors.  I tell them I have a box that I was supposed to ship back in trade for my Guardian sensors, can I just keep that box as my emergency box?  Of course not!  I have to send that box back because it is already marked as a return.  They will send me a new box and I must send the old one back.  Holy ..........

So if you read that whole rant, I give yo a lot of credit.  I would have bailed on it three long paragraphs ago.  If you are making the switch to the 670g make sure you don't order supplies and make sure you have enough sensors to get you through the mess.  Follow Medtronic every step of the way.  Call daily about your training and your Guardian sensors when your pump arrives.  Medtronic is disorganized and the right hand has no clue what the left hand is doing.  But heck.......you read this entire thing.  You are a patient human being.  Me? Not so much!

I will let you know if I ever get this new amazing pump attached.  

don1942

I got my 630 G in January. The ninety days on my last Enlight sensors is up at the End of August. Does that mean I should get my 670 around the middle of August?

notme

Maybe Don.   I would not order supplies until they tell you that your pump can be shipped.  If you order supplies, it will set you back as long as you have enlite sensors.  

Are you in the priority access program?  I would assume you are since you got your pump in January.  I would call on Monday for sure.  Squeaky wheel!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.