Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaRue

What the Health - Documentary

LaRue

Has anyone else seen this one on Netflix?

It had me so annoyed I had to turn it off at one point, and come back to it the next day.

They actually say in the doc that sugar is NOT a cause of diabetes, and that we need to cut out most/all meat and fat.

I felt like I was back in the 1970's, when the sugar industry won the battle over fat.

Anyone? Discuss.

macksvicky

Haven't seen it, but if that's what they are recommending they are seriously touting dangerous and incorrect information. Morons! 

Dave_KC

I'm not a big fan of the ADA, but I'm not sure they would even go there.  Sugar is a major contributor to diabetes, and it's really not disputed.  

Serenityearly

I just watched the What the Health on Netflix. A premier diabetic expert & clinical researcher, Dr Neal Barnard indicates that a high carbohydrate or eating sugar is not the cause of diabetes and never was. He mentioned a high fat animal/meat based diet. He explains that diabetes is caused by a diet that builds up the amount of fat in the blood like a typical meat based/animal based diet. He states that if you look into the muscle cells in the human body and you will find they are building up tiny particles of fat that's causing the insulin resistance. This means that the sugar naturally from the foods we are eating can not get into the cells where it belongs because of this insulin resistance. This insulin builds up in the blood causing diabetes. 

A weight loss surgeon, Dr Garth Davis agreed with him. He mentioned a study (500,000 people) where the more carbs the individual had the less diabetes the individual had, but there was a strong correlation with meat. He even stated carbs cannot make you fat in and of themselves. We either store or burn carbs in our muscles or liver. If you eat fat that goes straight to your fat.Your body can't turn those carbs into fat unless you are really over doing the calories. Dr Barnard states that it's the fatty stuff (sugary cookie: butter, shortening in the cookie is the problem which fattens you up leading to the diabetes.

They discussed dairy or milk. Dr Milton Mills, a critical care physician mentioned the huge percentage of people who are lactose intolerant. He says he sees lots of patients for autoimmune problems. Milk from a cow is a growth product for the calf. Milk can cause over production of mucous, higher rates of hip fracture, doesn't protect our bones, etc. There's a high risk of breast cancer in women and prostrate cancer for men. 

Research has shown processed meats cause cancer and diabetes. As little as 1serving per day (3 slices of turkey meat was shown) of processed meats (chicken, pork, hotdogs, etc) increases risk of developing diabetes by 51%. If you eat meat, purchase fresh-no pesticides, preservatives, hormones, etc. Red meats are highly cautioned as carcinogenic. They spoke about lots of toxins found in processed meat. They mentioned chicken as a high concern. As the host indicated, the ADA does not have this info on their website or it wasn't there at the time of this broadcast. Several doctors, cardiologists, and a dietician also went on to say that what you thought was a genetic disposition is really a bad eating habits continued from relatives to relatives. They indicated that we can turn things around by changing our eating habits. 

This is all very interesting but very hard to swallow after we've been told so many different things about the causes of diabetes. 

So much info was given! My head is spinning. 

This is a MUST SEE! Go to Netflix and search for What the Health. 

Initially, the ADA representative declined to speak on diet, but later granted an interview with the host. The representative indicated they supported prevention and finding a cure for diabetes. He did not endorse any particular diet (just healthy eating) and ended the conversation when the host pressed. 

dowling gram

Hummm! Before diabetes I ate a high carb diet--not so much sugar but enough. I also ate very little meat or fat. I got Osteoporosis from too little dairy. Dairy is the main supplier of calcium and is vitamin D3 enhanced. Sure there is calcium in other foods but you'd have to eat vast amounts to get the daily requirements. Vegans have to be vary aware of what they put in their bodies so they get the right amount of protein and calcium.

My blood sugar was at 12 when I was diagnosed.

I still eat very little meat, My dairy has increased a lot and I have less than 100 carbs a day. I do eat more vegetables but not exclusively. I think for the first time in my life I'm eating a healthy balanced diet.

I feel better on a HCHF diet. My A1C has remained in the normal range for 4 years. If I'm an example this theory is shot to HE double hockey sticks

Kit

I have a hard time believing it.

First, we've had a number of vegans join our ranks here.

Second, 15 years prior to being diagnosed diabetic, I had my gall bladder removed.  Due to that I went on a rather low fat (and thus low meat, low dairy) diet.  I ate primarily things like beans, brown rice, whole wheat breads and pastas, potatoes, and similar.  It didn't stop me from becoming diabetic and being diagnosed with an A1C of 10.4.  I also had horrible gastric issues for those 15 years that was always blames on any scraps of meat and fat I put into my mount.

About 2 months after I was diagnosed, I gave up on my dieticians, which were pushing vegan diets.  I was down to 800 calories a day and my numbers were really spiking.  Then I found this site, read what people were saying, and decided to give it a try.

Four months later I was at an A1C of 5.2 and I bounced between 5.2 and 5.1 ever since.  With the exception of my last one which was 4.8.  My gastric issues also completely went away.  I went from 15-20 bathroom emergencies a day to none.  I'm almost regular enough to set my watch by it.  And I eat all the stuff they told me I could never eat again.  Cheese, fatty meats, etc.

There's an article series that goes into the body's metabolism and how all of this works.  Take a look at it.

Its The Insulin Stupid

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/09/its-the-insulin-1.html

dowling gram

History proves this theory false. Until the middle of the 20th century diabetes was practically unheard of in the North American native population. Their diet consisted of mainly meat including fat and fish. In summer a few other things were added but were not available during winter. Pemmican was made with fat and berries. They did use wild plants and herbs.

Diabetes now runs rampant among the native population. Why? Because they have adopted our high carb, high sugar diet.

Serenityearly
2 hours ago, Kit said:

I have a hard time believing it.

First, we've had a number of vegans join our ranks here.

Second, 15 years prior to being diagnosed diabetic, I had my gall bladder removed.  Due to that I went on a rather low fat (and thus low meat, low dairy) diet.  I ate primarily things like beans, brown rice, whole wheat breads and pastas, potatoes, and similar.  It didn't stop me from becoming diabetic and being diagnosed with an A1C of 10.4.  I also had horrible gastric issues for those 15 years that was always blames on any scraps of meat and fat I put into my mount.

About 2 months after I was diagnosed, I gave up on my dieticians, which were pushing vegan diets.  I was down to 800 calories a day and my numbers were really spiking.  Then I found this site, read what people were saying, and decided to give it a try.

Four months later I was at an A1C of 5.2 and I bounced between 5.2 and 5.1 ever since.  With the exception of my last one which was 4.8.  My gastric issues also completely went away.  I went from 15-20 bathroom emergencies a day to none.  I'm almost regular enough to set my watch by it.  And I eat all the stuff they told me I could never eat again.  Cheese, fatty meats, etc.

There's an article series that goes into the body's metabolism and how all of this works.  Take a look at it.

Its The Insulin Stupid

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/09/its-the-insulin-1.html

It was very overwhelming and by the end, it seemed like an infomercial for vegans. If they were gonna break such overwhelming or earth shattering news, why didn't they give it to us in chunks. If you haven't watched it, please do. They included so much stuff not just about diabetes. I couldn't include everything but all I can say is what!

meyery2k

I can only state what I have personally observed.  On the Standard American Diet, I was morbidly obese, sedentary, high BP, and diagnosed with diabetes. I believe diabetes is mainly genetic but the symptoms can be exacerbated by poor diets.  There are many studies among Native Americans and Pacific Islanders where a return to more traditional diets and exercise greatly help them.

One of my first visits was to the website of the American Diabetic Association which comforted me in stating I could continue to enjoy much of the diet I had enjoyed, just in moderation.  Low fat diets are promoted for cardiovascular and other reasons.

I did some more digging and found this site.  It took some time for me to buy in.  The biggest sell was the explanation that carbohydrates are most easily broken down into glucose.  This excess glucose is not good for you.  Eat less carbs and your body has less glucose to deal with.  I appreciated this simple logic.  I also found some ideas that the excess insulin in the bloodstream might also be just as bad.  The excess glucose leads to excess insulin which then sets up this feedback loop which makes us ill.

I am certainly not one to buy into the conspiracy theories that the doctors and the insurance companies want to keep us ill to make money. While I concede this is possible, I don't believe it.  My observation is that it is difficult for large organizations to adapt quickly to new ideas. My whole life I would always challenge the common wisdom.  Always ask why, how come, what if this was done?  So I am a bit of an experimenter and enjoy challenging the common thinking.  DF was the perfect site for me because it does this as well.

I had to do something to change.  It was time.  In faith, I adopted the high fat low carb diet.  It took some time to change, but change I did.  I can only report that the result for me have been nothing short of phenomenal.  I lost 113 pounds in one year.  I started being winded from walking up 3 flights of stairs to being able to run 10Ks, swim 1 mile +, and get back into my passion of cycling where I have done a 100 mile ride and do 25-50 mile rides pretty regularly.  Not bad for an almost 51 year old geezer.  I look and act younger than I did when I was 45.

The weight is staying off, my BP is good (with medication admittedly), my lipids are excellent.  All on a diet that would horrify most medical professionals.  I simply enjoy the irony that I eat bacon and eggs nearly every morning.  I have so much energy, I can't sit around the house even if I want to, I simply go stir crazy.  I sound like one of those crazy infomercials but this is 100% true.  The people here helped me get here.  They have seen it and been a part of it.

Writing this makes me look back and I remember the biggest triumph was going into a Macy's and not being limited to the small stock of size 44s.  I was a size 44 when I started and Macy's didn't have anything I liked over size 42.  It took about 3 months and when I tried those size 42's in the dressing room and they fit well, I actually cried.  I knew this could be done and I went on to do it.

Dave_KC

I have to agree with the other posters here.  I was diagnosed 9 months ago with an A1c of 12.6, I didn't do much sugar, but plenty of carbs with bread, potatoes, rice, etc.  Years ago I had done the Atkins diet, so I was familiar with low carb, and I immediately jumped on it.  

One of my symptoms was weight loss, so that didn't hurt to have already lost weight, but I continued losing and went from around 230 lbs to 185 lbs, which is my weight when I finished High School.   By February I dropped my A1c to 7.4, in May it was 5.0 and the medical practice was in shock, and I got 16 exclamation marks after my A1c.  The beginning of this month, I dropped my A1c to 4.7, dropped all meds, was told it's the fastest they have ever seen someone get to the point of not needing meds, so I no longer use any diabetic meds.  

And I am, according to my Doctor's wife, his poster child for how to handle Diabetes.  All by doing a low carb diet (with plenty of fats too).  

The problem with the "What the Health" and other vegan informercials is that my experience has been the opposite.  Doesn't mean it's right, but my experience is a lot different.  And like @meyery2k bacon, eggs, sausage, happen all the time at Breakfast!  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.