Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lark27

Minimed ParadigmTransmitter for Sensor-problems

lark27

Hello All,

I was perusing the forum looking for advice, and I noticed a sticky that I should not bash a certain pump or pump company.  That's not really the intent of this post, but it might seem rather negative to one particular company at times. First let me ask my actual question. Then if you feel like continuing to read, feel free.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a replacement transmitter for the glucose sensor for the Medtronic Paradigm pump? (other than going through Medtronic)  And secondly, has anyone found any super-secret phone number or email to contact Medtronic customer service for issues?

Now, let me explain why I'm asking here and not contacting Medtronic.  Roughly a month ago I had the adhesive for my transmitter loosen while running a 5k, and the transmitter fell off my leg.  I of course didn't notice that because I was running so incredibly fast. (OK, it was more of a slow jog at best, but I promise the rest of this post is true!) I tried to contact Medtronic a couple times, but after lengthy holds (over ten minutes), I decided to fill out their "contact us" form instead.  That was several weeks back and they never contacted me back. This week I've tried again to contact them. After a lengthy hold and transfer, I was told that they didn't have anybody currently that could answer my questions, and they'd have someone call me back.  Several hours later, I got a call back, and that person said they had the wrong department call me back, so he transferred me.  After a 2 and 1/2 hour hold, I finally gave up.  My wife also tried an online chat feature, and never received a response. I tried again today and eventually spoke with a person who of course transferred me, so that I could be on hold for another half hour.  Eventually I spoke with a representative who was able to verify that I'm not eligible for insurance coverage at this point. I said I understand that, but I was calling to order one to pay for it because I find my diabetes is better controlled when using a sensor. Of course, this required another transfer.  The end result of the final conversation is that Medtronic is not selling any transmitters at this point as they're back-ordered. I believe 16-18 weeks is the figure I was given.  I expressed displeasure about this of course. I was then given, what I thought was an outstanding option.  I was told that if I paid for a transmitter for the new system, they'd be willing to give me an upgraded pump that would be compatible.  This would be the 630G, not the newest 670G, but still pretty good I thought.  I was told that, even though it was my fault that I lost the transmitter, they accept the responsibility of being able to provide products as needed for their customers.  Since they couldn't provide the transmitter for my pump, they would be willing to give me a new (refurbished) pump with a limited warranty that would expire when my paradigm warranty expires in a year, if I paid for the transmitter and sent them my paradigm pump. I then got put on hold, and the guy came back on the line to say, sorry, they can't do that deal that I was just offered because I hadn't purchased sensors in the last 90 days.   (I've been trying to use some surplus stock up because they do have a limited shelf life.) I said I'd be happy to place a new order as well because I'm almost out, but this did no good.  I asked why customer service has been so poor as of late, and I was basically told that there's a lot of interest in the new system, and they don't have the staff to handle the issues.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions?  And for another day, I'll probably be researching thoughts on the Animas Vibe or other potential pumps for the next time I'm due for a new one, but that's a year out so who knows what the current technology will be at that point.

Thanks for any help.

NoraWI

Lark27, I feel for you! I am located in the boonies of southwest Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your question about where to purchase a MM transmitter other than from the company, although, possibly, e-Bay comes to mind.

You mention looking at an Animas product in the future. I want to say that I have had excellent customer service response to each and every one of my issues or inquiries. I am on my second Animas Ping pump. When there was an issue with the number of tests required by Medicare to qualify for the new pump, the Animas rep drove almost 50 miles from Madison to meet me half way so he could download the necessary information from my pump. Eight years ago when I was initially shopping for a pump, a different Animas rep drove over 175 miles round trip to give me a one-on-one demonstration of their product. They also paid a contract trainer come to my CDE's office to train me. If one of the Animas products fits your needs, I would encourage you to get it because of the outstanding service I have experienced all around from Animas.

Feel free to PM me if you wish, although I don't think you can PM on this site until you have posted 15 messages.

don1942

I believe if you enter the number for order confermation/ follow up you can get through in less than five minutes. 

notme

Medtronic will allow you to send back any unused sensors for your old pump as long as you purchased from them and they are not expired.  I ran into this same issue when I upgraded from the 630g to the 670g.  If you order supplies for your 630g it will set you back that far from the upgrade.  They do however, exchange in your situation.  

Not or making excuses for Medtronic because the roll out for then new pump has had its problems but, they are swamped right now with requests for the 670g.  They were not expecting the FDA to approve this pump so quickly and I think they were caught off guard.  

Call and and see if they will do an exchange for your old pump.  Right now, Medtronic is light years ahead of the competition because of the new closed loop system. 

lark27

Thanks for the comments everyone.  I don't believe I have many sensors to return that would be within the 6 month expiration window.   I had been using up a bit of a surplus (almost gone), and that seems to be the problem with them not willing to work with me to switch out to the 630G.  I have not recently purchased enough product for them. Of course over the 9 years I've been pumping, it has been a LOT of product.  As for the exchange of pump, since there's no insurance coverage for another year, it is cost prohibitive, as they would only give a slight credit and most would be out of pocket.

The positive about all of this is that it's got me to get back on this site.  I used to follow the forum regularly, but have not been on much over the past few years.  There is always so much helpful content here.

notme

I did the same thing Lark.  I didn't realize the sensors had such a short shelf life and I had some surpluss because of.....eh hm....   diabetes burnout.  I am back on track but, I had to do something quick so I pressed Medtronic hard.  

I hope do hope you can get going again soon with your sensors.  As soon as you are able, upgrade and I think you will be surprised how much control you gain with the new pumps.  

The 630g was not my favorite and the button pushing issues were not resolved with the 670g but the control is surperb.  One bite at a time......

lark27
On 7/24/2017 at 5:53 PM, notme said:

...with the 670g but the control is surperb.  One bite at a time......

The 670g is definitely enticing, and I'm sure I'll still consider it when I'm due, but as for now, I'm so turned off by my recent experiences.  I did get an email from the local rep, so I'll try to explain the situation again, and we'll see if anything happens.  Otherwise, it looks like I'm a few months off without the sensor, which will be a vacation from some of the excess beeping...maybe I'll catch up on sleep!

lark27

Update on this topic: my faith in humanity has been restored.  Medtronic has reviewed the matter and decided they will go ahead and grant me the option that was originally offered.  I'll trade in my paradigm for a 630G and I'll purchase a new transmitter out of pocket. It is an exception to the rule, but I am appreciative that I'll be able to get back to using the CGMS.   I am also going to become obsessive about adhesive products for my sensor!  

notme

I can't usually use sensors adhesive from Medtronic.  But, the new sensor tape is amazing and I am not getting bright red skin from it.  Win......win!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.