Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

prateek027

Is it ok to take whey Protein?

prateek027

Hi All,

Can I take whey protein as a part of my weight training? Will it have any big impact on my blood sugar?

For last one month I have been hitting the gym at least 5 days a week and mainly involved in weight training. So was looking for some protein supplements and found out that whey protein is good for diabetic people. No better place than this to ask if I can take whey protein or not.

Thanks in advance!!

stevenal

Suggest you eat to your meter. If the protein you ingest is building muscle, it should have no effect on blood glucose. Otherwise your liver can convert it to glucose. Your meter will tell you.

Kit

You'll also want to look at the nutritional information of the kind you buy.  Some contains flavorings, sugar, and similar and can have a hefty carb count.

prateek027
2 minutes ago, Kit said:

You'll also want to look at the nutritional information of the kind you buy.  Some contains flavorings, sugar, and similar and can have a hefty carb count.

The one I will be using has 3g carbs and 1g sugar (in 1 rounded scoop) 

prateek027
10 minutes ago, stevenal said:

Suggest you eat to your meter. If the protein you ingest is building muscle, it should have no effect on blood glucose. Otherwise your liver can convert it to glucose. Your meter will tell you.

Thanks Stevenal. I'll definitely check my numbers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.